Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xyzzу

What's the stupidest censorship you've ever seen?

Tarnsman said:

Guys come on I only asked if excluding someone based on their race was racist! It's totally reasonable. I mean I get that it had absolutely nothing to do with the conversation as motivations for censorship have nothing to do with what is or isn't censorship but it was still totally a valid question.

Ok, Ok i get it!. SORRY
But the good thing is that now i know that is racist if i don't allow black people in my Bar. But i will show them the door if they say any word i don't like. I guess that's ok.
But i'm not changing my policy of Womens only allowed to be in the Kitchen.

Gamer With Dignity said:

I think one of the admins censored my thread about being sick. Dumb move!

Before you unleash a terrible revenge upon all DW admins, mods, their relatives, friends and everyone they casually knew in the last 10 years, are you by any chance talking about this thread?

Wild Dog said:

But the good thing is that now i know that is racist if i don't allow black people in my Bar. But i will show them the door if they say any word i don't like. I guess that's ok.

You seem to think you're making some important point but you're not. What I think, you think, you're saying is "It's wrong to ban people from your bar for their race, so it should also be wrong to ban people for their vocabulary" (that has it's own arguments for and against that deal with the concept of private property and property rights and the difference between commercial private property and non-commercial private property).

But that's not what you're saying. You're asking if the act of banning people from an establishment SOLELY based on their race is racist. Like it's some sort of "gotcha, you're the actual racist" trap. Which it's not. (In case you don't understand, here is the definition of racism. Racism. Noun. Hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.)

Racism is a motivation. It's not an action. Banning people is the action. Doing it specifically because of their race is the motivation. So banning people for their race is racist. Banning people because they said something you don't like is a COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THING.

I think it's both stupid and funny when someone is trying to censor a live broadcast and their timing is so off that they end up censoring the word after a curse. Or the bleep volume is so low, you can hear the curse plain as day over or under the bleep.

Fulgrim said:

I think it's both stupid and funny when someone is trying to censor a live broadcast and their timing is so off that they end up censoring the word after a curse. Or the bleep volume is so low, you can hear the curse plain as day over or under the bleep.

why would they try to censor a live broadcast? of course they'd be off.

roadworx said:

It really depends on the censoring team. Most of the time they can catch it before the entire curse makes it on the air. Sometimes the censorship is so bad that when they re-air a live broadcast the mistakes are left intact.

Tarnsman said:

You seem to think you're making some important point but you're not. What I think, you think, you're saying is "It's wrong to ban people from your bar for their race, so it should also be wrong to ban people for their vocabulary"

Don't make laugh, you think i'm trying to make some important point??? In a FORUM???? HAHAHA Damm you made me laugh... but trust me. I'm not putting any effort at all.
I'm just having fun with the Political Correct Crowd and their hypocritical behavior

Wild Dog said:

Don't make laugh, you think i'm trying to make some important point??? In a FORUM???? HAHAHA Damm you made me laugh... but trust me. I'm not putting any effort at all.
I'm just having fun with the Political Correct Crowd and their hypocritical behavior

how old are you?

roadworx said:

Some live broadcasts are delayed by several seconds. I've once heard it's for cutting away from potential assassinations and such, but I'm too lazy to fact-check.

Wild Dog said:

7 years old sir, it´s past my bed time. So bye.

lol, just asking. i shuouldve phrased it better.

here's my revamped question:
is english your first language?

roadworx said:

lol, just asking. i shuouldve phrased it better.

here's my revamped question:
is english your first language?

No, is not first language.

roadworx said:

ah, okay. sorry for asking, but what was your first language?

Español mi buen amigo, seguido por Portugués y en tercer lugar Ingles.

Wild Dog said:

Español mi buen amigo, seguido por Portugués y en tercer lugar Ingles.

cool! wish i had learned Spanish, lol. would've been more useful than the russian that i barely remember.

Español! Mi amigo! Queso es en mi pantelones y yo mañana perro por mi madre tengo con vaca!

Now back to stupid censorship...in my junior high library, the copies of Huck Finn replaced "nigger" with "slave". I thought that was pretty stupid, suggesting that slave is somehow more appropriate.

See that's where the debate over stuff like this fractures. There is indeed a valid argument to be made that context matters and censoring 'nigger' when it's being used in a referential context or a historical context in fiction rather than as a directed slur, as if the word was a Harry Potter villain, is dumb and we as adults should be able to handle those uses.

However, that's a completely different argument than the "why can't white people say nigger if black people can, stop being such PC crybabies" argument because that argument basically boils down to "I want to be an edgelord". Like the guy complaining about being banned from the BF1 server, when you say like "hey nigger go... *the rest that I don't feel like looking up to get right because I really don't care enough*" the question you should be asking yourself is not, "Why can't I say nigger here?" but "How would everyone react if I instead said, 'hey son of a fucktarded whore whose entire existence is a waste of space and should be purged from humanity, go get the thing'?"

Tarnsman said:

See that's where the debate over stuff like this fractures. There is indeed a valid argument to be made that context matters and censoring 'nigger' when it's being used in a referential context or a historical context in fiction rather than as a directed slur, as if the word was a Harry Potter villain, is dumb and we as adults should be able to handle those uses.

oh, but think of the children! /s

Doominator2 said:

At my high school, they skipped locker 666, It would go 665 then directly to 667

heh, a buddy and I had locker 666 for a year after we asked the previous owner if she'd trade lockers with us.

Semi on topic -- reading the doom wiki about Dantes Gate by John Andersson (Dr.Sleep) and that he created the map at a time when primitive tools were publicly available - it really rattled my brain and a though came up. I dimly remember reading about accusations that he had gotten hold of id softwares in-house mapED at some point in time but I don't know where to start looking to find where I read that.

After thinking about it, the truly stupidest censorship but the most common censorship really is self censorship, in practice almost every person alive (including me) does/has done it.

Why go to all that effort to silence yourself, silencing your own thoughts that will be forever lost when you die...

But it is probably better for all of us if some of us kept quiet/lied and for some it may even be necessary given the thought and/or the location, it is all one big morally and logically ambiguous fucking mess with "rights" and "wrongs" that are never right or wrong.

An example:

Someone you really like (see Netflix n Chill) is dressed like a nob, they think they are fine as all hell and these are their favorite clothes whilst you believe they look like complete and utter trashy trash. They want to know how they look.

The logistics say that they are not looking good, this looks bad and you are disgusted by this outfit. No matter how you say it they are not going to pleased in the slightest, however embarrassment is spared for them and you, besides they will never forgive you for letting them look this cunty anyway and getting embarrassed like this so you can't win.

Your morals say you have to say you like it, they fucking love this shit and it would destroy them, petty bullshit for sure but they will take offence, you adore this individual however so you can just suck it up and play the part of mr/ms sensitive as offending them is the last thing you want to do, besides everyone else might love the outfit and you are just filled with poor taste... Right?

Weak as piss example, but you get the picture. What do you do in this hypothetical situation? Do you censor your true thoughts or tell the truth, no matter how bad it hurts?

Self-censorship isn't a thing, sorry. In the real world it's called tact, politeness, diplomacy, etc. and hinges on the idea that sometimes what you really think can be very hurtful to someone and therefore unless you're TRYING to hurt them maybe you just keep your mouth shut.

I can't quite fathom why, out of everything potentially offensive in this video, the one thing they pick out to censor is the word "doggy" from "doggy style".

In Jojo Stardust crusaders season two you have a fight between jojo and first of the darby brothers there is a scene where jojo lights a cigarette and half of his face gets censored which makes the whole fight worse.

Japan has a law that you can't show minors smoking.