Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zaiman12345

Demonic Revival Prequel

Thanks! I just played through them, including the secret level. First, there are some fun ideas poking around in here, and some atmosphere. The lead-up to the mastermind is pretty interesting.

For criticism, I'd say look into doing more with height variation. And if you want to stick with linear formats, look at ways to vary them more. These level tend to funnel you down narrow hallways in a way that limits the kind of combat you can have.

The button for the secret level isn't very secret behind the midtexture; I was wondering if it was to open a door or something else.

In a couple places, secret doors were used for progression in a way that seemed arbitrary. I'm not opposed to mandatory secret stuff, but it helps if it's built more into the level, where it makes more sense that there would be a secret door here.

PS - People will generally ask for screenshots and more specific information on which source ports are compatible.

Aquanet said:

Thanks! I just played through them, including the secret level. First, there are some fun ideas poking around in here, and some atmosphere. The lead-up to the mastermind is pretty interesting.

For criticism, I'd say look into doing more with height variation. And if you want to stick with linear formats, look at ways to vary them more. These level tend to funnel you down narrow hallways in a way that limits the kind of combat you can have.

The button for the secret level isn't very secret behind the midtexture; I was wondering if it was to open a door or something else.

In a couple places, secret doors were used for progression in a way that seemed arbitrary. I'm not opposed to mandatory secret stuff, but it helps if it's built more into the level, where it makes more sense that there would be a secret door here.

PS - People will generally ask for screenshots and more specific information on which source ports are compatible.

What secret doors?
My collaborator could have added them, but where are they? If it didn't look like a door, but it was, and it didn't bring up a secret text thing, than it was just a normal door.

I mean the doors at the start of 02 and shortly into 03 (tan rock) that have non-door textures. The first one sort of works because it has a different texture, but the door in 03 is just the same as the surrounding textures.

Aquanet said:

I mean the doors at the start of 02 and shortly into 03 (tan rock) that have non-door textures. The first one sort of works because it has a different texture, but the door in 03 is just the same as the surrounding textures.

It's at the end of the tiny hallway with no doors, signaling to either press all the walls or just the one at the end.

I am new to making single player maps (making deathmatch maps is where I'm interested in yet still trying to get the hang of things) so working with a new Doom map maker would help both of us - texture wise, it is MUCH better than his original maps (along with trying out new things I've learned such as ending the map with killing a certain enemy and changing 'exit' in 'exittext' to 'enter' when entering the secret [which, I know, should have been obvious], having monster infighting, and a couple other things I've learned along the way from when I started).

I know that both him and I need work on creating secrets but we are willing to work that out by making, testing, remaking, retesting, and making any changes.

I admit that the some areas do need work (me adding the obvious secret in MAP04, yet, still being new to single player maps, I do need help with that (again, I admit that I'm not good and do need help)). So, working with a new and enthusiastic map maker is working great because this is the kind of feedback that is needed.

Sorry for the double post, writing this on via phone and putting this in would have made the submit button dissapear.

Zaiman12345 said:

What secret doors?
My collaborator could have added them, but where are they? If it didn't look like a door, but it was, and it didn't bring up a secret text thing, than it was just a normal door.

The only TRUE secret door I added was the BFG door on MAP 05 - again, not that good at secret areas but getting feedback will help

I played through the maps and they are pretty bare, some areas are big and empty, with only a few enemies, everything's kind of primitive, there could of been more height variation. Although the maps are basic and simple i still enjoyed playing them, there's a variety of monsters placed, good supply of ammo and good pacing. It would be cooler if the levels were more detailed.

Trupiak said:

I played through the maps and they are pretty bare, some areas are big and empty, with only a few enemies, everything's kind of primitive, there could of been more height variation. Although the maps are basic and simple i still enjoyed playing them, there's a variety of monsters placed, good supply of ammo and good pacing. It would be cooler if the levels were more detailed.

Both of us get that - neither one of us are THAT good with detail but working with each other, the next one should be better.

We need to play more maps to get more detail because if the main Demonic Revival is going to be better, I agree that detail would need to happen.