Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
VGamingJunkie

Doom 2016 is officially the most optimized game I've ever seen

With very weak hardware (3.18 GHz Quadcore, 5 GB RAM, AMD 5670 512 MB), I honestly thought Doom 2016 would be way out of my league. Sure, it's a little better than when I tried and failed to play the Beta but mostly just the CPU. To my shock, not only did the demo run but it actually plays surprisingly smoothly.

I ended up kicking it up to 800x600 and it runs well enough for me and looks okay. Then, out of nowhere, I decided to turn on TSSAA, thinking it would turn completely to Hell and back. To my shock... it didn't! It runs just as well as before!

And, of course, the AA makes the game look a Hell of a lot better than it did before.

What I'm basically saying is, id must have some literal wizards in their tech department because that's the only explanation I can think of for my hardware not only running this beautiful game but running it smoothly and, despite minimized settings for the most part, it still looks quite good with the AA on.

Great feeling, ain't it? Having your doubts about being able to run a game and it ends up running after all, if at the cost of resolution and graphical prowess.

If you want to play game, don't care pixels or not, because you want this game right now! I remember how it feels...

The streaming texture fade approach I think is what makes a big difference on lower settings. More distant textures are 'off' until you get close enough to them, and they fade in smoothly rather than pop in.

NoisM said:

If you want to play game, don't care pixels or not, because you want this game right now! I remember how it feels...

I'm sure this forum can understand the sentiment of wanting to enjoy a game regardless of pixels. This forum IS centered around a pretty pixellated game, afterall. :P

I bought the game when I couldn't play it too well. Had to lower all settings. The demo performance tanked but the game did ok with all settings at minimum on my old GTX 460. Upgraded to a 970 shortly after, however, and that problem went away. I was playing it fine, though. It is incredibly well optimized.

Honestly, I completely agree, and even then it looks absolutely phenomenal on my main rig. Vulkan seems to be a step in the right direction, along with DX12 with what I saw for Halo 5.

I'd argue that Metal Gear Solid V: TPP was a much more well optimized game. That thing could run on a potato, and looks fantastic no matter what.

It's a shame AMD quit supporting this GPU with drivers so, while it technically meets the requirements for Vulkan, it has no software recognition so it black screens. Would have liked to see how it fared.

It's super great to know that you guys are seriously enjoying this game! To be completely honest, I've left a ton of schooldays just for this game!😁😁

MetroidJunkie said:

Ha, no. My computer's bad but it isn't THAT bad. It's the GPU's VRAM that's limited to 512MB.

Amazingly, 512 MB would have been enough to run Doom 3 at high setting.