Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nosrepatsuj

Who composed which midis in Icarus?

Hi doomgals and doomguys,

I'd like to identify who composed which track in Icarus.

If I remember correctly there was a text file that contained the author of each mus file included in the wad but I can't find it now. David Shaw was easy because his website contains every midi he ever composed for doom wads.

I extracted the mus files from the wad but the names are not really informative.
I'm really interested to know who composed the D_SHAWNX.mus ones where X is 1 to 3.
If you have any info please let me know. Thanks :)

From what I recall with Icarus, the soundtrack was composed by the following people:

- Brian Kidby (coordinator of the team that did the music)
- Tom Mustaine (also did Evilution)
- Jonathan El-Bizri (also did Evilution)
- David Shaw
- Jeremy Doyle (who contributed to Requiem later on)
- Charles Li

The only ones I was able to identify were David Shaw and Tom Mustaine as they revealed what tracks they did.

David Shaw - Map01, 02, 15, 24
Tom Mustaine - Map08, 10, 14, 17, 27, 28, 30, 31, story text

So, unidentified/unclaimed tracks are 06, 09, 13, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, 25, 26, intermission, and text screen.

Gez said:

So, unidentified/unclaimed tracks are 06, 09, 13, 18, 19, 20, 22, 23, 25, 26, intermission, and text screen.

If only someone could get contact with Brian Kidby, Charles Li, and Jonathan El-Bizri so we'll get the information. Speaking of El-Bizri, he did some music for Evilution, but not even I know which tracks, though maybe listening to the soundtrack of both megawads would help, considering how easy it was to recognise Tom Mustaine's style. Mustaine, as far as I remember, did 05, 10, 17, 18, 20, 22, 28, and the title screen, and I think I was able to recognise L.A. Sieben's as 01, 02, 04, 06, 08, 09, 13, 15, 27, 29, 30, 31, and the intermission screen. The only ones I'm still unsure of are Jonathan El-Bizri and Josh Martel's music, and then there's the original Doom 2 soundtrack used in 03, 12, 19, 21, 23, 24, 25, and 32.

didn't one of the Icarus composers post in the creative works section and clear up what he worked on for that megawad?

also, original Doom 2 soundtrack? there's no Doom 2 songs used in Icarus whatsoever...

Viscra Maelstrom said:

also, original Doom 2 soundtrack? there's no Doom 2 songs used in Icarus whatsoever...

T-Rex moved on to TNT: Evilution.

Gez said:

T-Rex moved on to TNT: Evilution.

Exactly what he said.

TNT Evilution's soundtrack:

Jonathan El-Bizri - 07, 11, 14, 16, 26, 31, intermission (?)
Josh Martel - text story (?)
Tom Mustaine - 05, 10, 17, 18, 20, 22, 28, title
L.A. Sieben - 01, 02, 04, 06, 08, 09, 13, 15, 27, 29, 30 (?)
Bobby Prince (selected Doom 2 music) - 03, 12, 19, 21, 23, 24, 25, 32

Icarus's soundtrack:

Jeremy Doyle - 03, 04, 05, 07, 11, 12, 16, 21, 29, 32
Jonathan El-Bizri - 06, 13, 18, 19, 22, 25, 26, title, intermission (?)
Charles Li - 09, 20, (probably 23 ?)
Tom Mustaine - 08, 10, 14, 17, 27, 28, 30, 31, text story
David Shaw - 01, 02, 15, 24

Maybe if Tom Mustaine along with David Shaw and Jeremy Doyle can reveal some information since they did return to the forums at some point these last few years.

I can state with 99% certainty that Charles Li wrote the music for:

MAP09: The Moat
MAP20: WarTemple

I had met Charles early in 1994 if I remember correctly, when we both used to upload MIDI songs to the AOL Music and Sound file area. I liked one of his songs and contacted him and asked if he wanted to collaborate on a tune, which we did. When I got involved in writing music for Icarus, I asked Chuck if he wanted to contribute as well, and those two songs were the result. I'm pretty sure he never even played Doom. The MIDIs are very similar to one of his other songs I have saved on an old backup CD, which I could find if anyone is interested.

I don't believe Brian Kidby wrote any music for Icarus. He acted as coordinator, matching MIDIs with maps and making sure each song was in it's finished state before release. He also came up with the concept of having a reoccurring musical theme in Icarus, which I composed- I submitted an idea and he liked it so we went with it.

The remaining music can probably safely be attributed to Jonathan El-Bizri. I know for certain that he did MAP19: Blessed are the Quick and MAP22: Nightfall, they made an impression as I'd never heard classical music in Doom before. I'm also not certain who did the intermission music, it may have been Jonathan as well. Someone could easily contact him, he's got a blog (http://www.elbizri.com/) a github and a twitter account.

Did you give titles to your music tracks? Looking at the Doom Wiki articles for each of Icarus' maps, I get:

MAP03: Hell
MAP04: Melting
MAP05: Mad
MAP07: Star Theme v3
MAP11: Stomp
MAP12: Star 2
MAP16: Fast
MAP21: Ripsnort
MAP29: untitled
MAP32: Creepjaz

Confirm/deny/complete?

Also, have you kept the original MIDIs, before they were (needlessly) turned into MUS?

Gez said:

Also, have you kept the original MIDIs, before they were (needlessly) turned into MUS?

Here are copies of the original MIDI files:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B79YBwbj0yrTSG0zNWVjdW1lWDQ
The titles on the wiki are all correct. I'm embarrassed to say I can't find the original MIDI file for MAP29, but I'm certain I wrote it. It was the only music I wrote specifically for the level, since I was friends with Mike Ruete IRL. I'd made MIDIs for a few of his earlier maps and when he got into TeamTNT he recommended that I join as well.

JDoyle said:

Here are copies of the original MIDI files:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B79YBwbj0yrTSG0zNWVjdW1lWDQ
The titles on the wiki are all correct. I'm embarrassed to say I can't find the original MIDI file for MAP29, but I'm certain I wrote it. It was the only music I wrote specifically for the level, since I was friends with Mike Ruete IRL. I'd made MIDIs for a few of his earlier maps and when he got into TeamTNT he recommended that I join as well.

Wow! Thanks for providing the links to most of the midis you made for Icarus! Too bad you couldn't find Map29, but I found interesting how it was made, considering the connection you had with Mike Ruete was that the both of you hailed from Waterford, Connecticut, recalling information in the now vanished Team TNT website. Speaking of Mike Ruete, I had no idea he made more Doom maps prior to joining Team TNT! The only non-Team TNT map I ever found from him was his Rust in Pieces for Quake, which I found a lot of fun. Now I'm curious to check out his Doom maps, if they're single-player, of course. I know that there are many maps made back in the 90s that haven't been uploaded to the idgames archive to this day.

Oh yes, the midi of Icarus Map07 you provided us was a short one since valkiriforce uploaded beforehand on his channel the actual long version.

Also, thanks for the information on Jonathan El-Bizri. It would be awesome if he was to join the forums and reveal what tracks he did for Evilution and Icarus.

T-Rex said:

Oh yes, the midi of Icarus Map07 you provided us was a short one since valkiriforce uploaded beforehand on his channel the actual long version.

I'll be damned T-Rex, you're absolutely correct. Here's the full version:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B79YBwbj0yrTQXpGLW1raHBxSXM
I'll have to re-record the SC-55 version that's on my YouTube playlist. I love Valkiriforce's Let's Listen videos, but the Star Theme patch used in that video kind of makes me cringe!

I'd love to contact Jonathan but I'm afraid I'd end up like I did with David Shaw - waiting a year for him to see my message in Facebook's other folder :)
With Jonathan it would be easier since he has a wider online presence, and he refreshed his blog just a few days ago.

Still this is a great summary and I believe all songs are covered now.
You guys are amazing - and I thought I'm the only living person on the planet passionate about Icarus's music after 20 years but it seems luckily that's false.

Similarly I'm also interested in Requiem, Evilution, both MMs and all the other 90's stuff so thanks for that info! :)

Very happy to help, it's been a lot of fun revisiting the music from Icarus after so many years.
The music from Requiem, MM and MM2 are all really well documented on doomwiki.org. Evilution is less so, it's a shame TeamTNT was't better at crediting individual composers. I'll try contacting Jonathan and see if he can confirm which tracks are his from Icarus and possibly Evilution.

On 12/20/2016 at 10:18 AM, nosrepatsuj said:

I'd love to contact Jonathan but I'm afraid I'd end up like I did with David Shaw - waiting a year for him to see my message in Facebook's other folder :)
With Jonathan it would be easier since he has a wider online presence, and he refreshed his blog just a few days ago.

Still this is a great summary and I believe all songs are covered now.
You guys are amazing - and I thought I'm the only living person on the planet passionate about Icarus's music after 20 years but it seems luckily that's false.

Similarly I'm also interested in Requiem, Evilution, both MMs and all the other 90's stuff so thanks for that info! :)

Hey, not my fault!

And this reply is only about 2 years out.

Hint: my website is tolwyn.com. My name is tolwyn... put the @ together and you probably have it figured out. :)