Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rekko

Call of Doom ?

Hi!

I've just watched the DOOM Resurrected Documentary.

I think the Call of DOOM game was not DOOM at all, but was worth something.

So this is a crazy idea, but would some of you be interested in a petition or some sort to get id to release the Call of DOOM? If they'd ever agree or something.

rekko said:

I think the Call of DOOM game was not DOOM at all, but was worth something.

So this is a crazy idea, but would some of you be interested in a petition or some sort to get id to release the Call of DOOM? If they'd ever agree or something.

I agree that it does seem interesting, just not Doom. It would be cool if id released some kind alpha/beta demo of it, as I doubt they actually finished it. I doubt Bethesda will agree.

Maybe they can take the assets and retool it into something completely different, just like how an early build of Resident Evil 4 that was deemed too action orientated became the foundation for Devil May Cry.

Voros said:

I doubt they actually finished it. I doubt Bethesda will agree.

Doubt that too. Should we give it a try tho?

Also, I don't think they will retool it into something else. They did the same with Doom 3, with the Birdie monster and other things that got cleaned up.

I don't think it was a case of it being crap , it just wasn't DOOM.
Also ,if it felt like a lot of other FPS games already on the market it wouldn't have been economically viable to release it as something else like Capcom did with DMC.As at the time there really wasn't anything like DMC.

DOOM 4 will be a fan curiosity forever more , just like Resident Evil 1.5

I'd be fine if they released things like cutscenes, trailer, etc of the game. That part with Doomguy in that space ship thing, with that watch-like device, got me intrigued.

I do kinda want to see it released, but I don't think "Call of Doom" would be suitable as a title, much less anything to do with Doom in general. I had the idea that it'd work well as a template for a sequel to RAGE.

Looks more appropiate to a Rage 2 title. (Art design). The sewers sections seem to me copycat of Rage.

a Doom-rage crossover with a setting on Earth, Hell invades earth and weird shit happens would be a cool place to explore.

The more i see the art, it doesn't look like Call of Doom but Gears of Doom...

But indeed it could be a prequel to Rage as well.

That shit ain't ever coming out and no petition would make that happen.

MFG38 said:

I do kinda want to see it released, but I don't think "Call of Doom" would be suitable as a title, much less anything to do with Doom in general. I had the idea that it'd work well as a template for a sequel to RAGE.

What a coincidence, I thought that maybe the assets would come in handy for something akin to RAGE.

It looks like a lot of people think it looks good. When lots of people like things, there is a high chance they will pay money for it. Seems dumb to throw away something that has so much content already developed. The Doom Universe is so vague that it could easily be adapted. There aren't enough games with demons anyway. I'd pay money for it. They should totally make a Zombies (read: Demons (;p)) mode where there are increasingly difficult waves. If the joke is that it's Doom meets call of duty, why not embrace it?

You would pay money for it now, but if this was going to be released in place of Doom 2016 there would of been a public outrage.

everennui said:

It looks like a lot of people think it looks good. When lots of people like things, there is a high chance they will pay money for it. Seems dumb to throw away something that has so much content already developed. The Doom Universe is so vague that it could easily be adapted. There aren't enough games with demons anyway. I'd pay money for it. They should totally make a Zombies (read: Demons (;p)) mode where there are increasingly difficult waves. If the joke is that it's Doom meets call of duty, why not embrace it?

It Doesn't matter if its demons or zombies or soldiers or whatever , the point is that the feel of old school DOOM is unique. If you suddenly substitute that for the tried and tested run of the mill COD gameplay then DOOM loses its identity and may as well be branded as anything else.
Thats whats happened to Resident Evil.
Its a credit to id that they didnt let that happen.

bedbug182 said:

It Doesn't matter if its demons or zombies or soldiers or whatever , the point is that the feel of old school DOOM is unique. If you suddenly substitute that for the tried and tested run of the mill COD gameplay then DOOM loses its identity and may as well be branded as anything else.

Id hasn't had the best history of continuity in their IPs. I understand that Doom is a very beloved game, but that doesn't mean they can't have spin-offs. Ultimately, Doom is about killing Demons and using movement to get the upper hand. It'd probably be safer to name it something else, but as long as it's fun, I don't mind them calling it Doom - in some shape or form.

Chezza said:

You would pay money for it now, but if this was going to be released in place of Doom 2016 there would of been a public outrage.

Agreed.

I'd rather they don't make risky moves and release something because it seems "interesting". They should spend their time making a Doom sequel and focusing on Quake Champions.

Call of Doom is not unique enough to appeal to the masses. It got scrapped because we're boredt of these kinds of games. Just being brutally honest.

It's why Doom 16 actually became successful. Because it was unique. Think of all the people who never played Doom and picked up Doom 16, enjoyed it. You think they would have done the same to Call of Doom? I sure as hell doubt it.

I'm sure Doom 16's success wasn't because it was a good Doom game. While yes it is a good Doom game, to most it's simply a good game. Let's be honest to ourselves here "a good Doom game" probably means absolutely nothing to all those gamers that never even played Doom.

I truly believe if Doom 16 was released under a different name it still would have been successful. And if Call of Doom were to be released under a different name it wouldn't have been successful...because it looks boring.

yeah, let's be honest here, if the prototype Doom 4 was released, would you care if say it was developed by someone else? if it didn't have any relation to the Doom franchise prior, what would urge you to buy it over the other modern military shooters out there? i mean, it's kind of interesting i guess, but it's only really interesting because it's what id Software worked on before getting back on track with the real Doom 4. if it was called something generic like Day of Reckoning or Last Stand, i'd just think it's another generic shooter of the millennia.

TheWizard said:

I'd rather they don't make risky moves and release something because it seems "interesting".
Call of Doom is not unique enough to appeal to the masses. It got scrapped because we're boredt of these kinds of games. Just being brutally honest.

True. When starting the thread I wasn't talking about releasing it to the masses with all the media knowing that Call of Doom got released. Just to the community.

I'm pretty sure if the assets were released the Doom community would have finished it in a full game, or use the assets in other things.

Just how many WADS for Doom is. And how many mods for D3 (were).

Anyways, my point was for us, the community to get the hands on the "game"

bedbug182 said:

Capcom got out of ideas with Resident Evil, they should have let it die at 5. They could have made Spin off using the "Survival Horror".

Wild Dog said:

Capcom got out of ideas with Resident Evil, they should have let it die at 5. They could have made Spin off using the "Survival Horror".

They tried to appease the COD audience with 5 and 6 and ended up alienating a large part of their core fanbase.
Capcom took that gamble and it didn't really pay off in the long run (short term it did, as resi 5 is the highest selling entry in the franchise)
Id got halfway and decided not to take the risk.

To be fair, Revelations turned out pretty damn good. They have the potential to make a return to form game that kicks ass, just as id did with Doom which they ended up doing after the COD styled game wasn't working out.