Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrFlibble

Optional hi-res menu screens and fonts?

I'm not sure which source ports (if any) support it, but I thought that it would be nice if Freedoom had high-resolution versions of al relevant static screens, menu fonts, logo and HUD, akin to some of the 90s games that supported both low and hi-res modes (Descent II, SkyNET) and recent "remastered" releases of the like of Shadow Warrior Classic Redux. I guess these assets should not be hard to produce, considering that the source images for the title screen and the logo are originally in high resolution anyway. Resizing the HUD face will probably require more effort though, but such aesthetic enhancements are certainly not top priority anyway.

The same goes for the widescreen status bar Sodaholic created but it was scrapped due to some port/vanilla incompatibility. I wonder if hi-res graphics could be put into a separate PWAD that a port which can use them would optionally load at startup?

Check out the latest build of Freedoom on a Zdoom port. With the status bar on screen.

And also, I don't think it's a good idea. An IWAD can have so many lumps, before crashing vanilla Doom. About 4000 lumps is the limit, or so. The big Aquatex texture pack already took up some more space, I don't think more space should be taken.

IMO, hi res stuff tends to look bad in Doom.

Voros said:

And also, I don't think it's a good idea. An IWAD can have so many lumps, before crashing vanilla Doom. About 4000 lumps is the limit, or so. The big Aquatex texture pack already took up some more space, I don't think more space should be taken.

That is why I specifically suggested in my above post to store the high-res alternate interface graphics in a separate PWAD (or by other means), only to be loaded by ports that can actually make use of this stuff.

I think it's a good idea, I'd love to use a less jaggy font. You know, the Freedoom font is WAY jaggier and blockier than the OG DOOM font.
As far as packing it in additional PWAD I think that would be smart too. If the vanilla compat thing causes space issues, I think lots of stuff could be put in PWADs--alternate textures, monster palswaps, older versions of the weapons...
you could have a "Freedoom EX" PWAD just like the one I'm making for myself,
out of palswapped sprites and textures, reindexed for use in GZDoomBuilder alongside the stock-named sprites.
For my project I am using GZDoomGPL so the vanilla (hard to wanna make an original game in vanilla, cause it's harder to do anything else besides a straight DOOM game) thing doesn't really do much for me, at a point it would become disappointing what doesn't get included because of it. For people who need an extra version of a Freedoom monster in a different color with reindexed spritenames[and possibly some unique actor code] I could send a couple of those, but they wouldn't include it because you already have a Serpent, why would you need a forest green Serpent, and a ripleyalien black and green Serpent, if there's not much room left? (I have 3 different FreeCacos by now, only 1 of them still has sucky actor code) If someone were to donate another Huge amazing texpack like Aqua, there'd be no room for it without an expanded resource wad, but I would definitely want to use them. If this does get done I'd love to add a couple things to it.

I've seen a couple Freedoom expansion wads with a small feature or other, perhaps someone would want to make a compilation wad of the best of those, with a clear license. The last one of these I was looking at just an hour ago didn't have any mention of the Freedoom license, so I skipped over it for now.