Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mancubus88

Need help with a decision.

Ok, so I'm in dire need of a new computer (currently using a Windows XP Pentium 521MB RAM) and I need help on what kind of system on purchasing. The reason why I'm asking this on Doomworld.com is because I'll only be using my new PC for DOOM wads. I dont want to spend money on a super PC when I'll be playing DOOM only so I'm asking, what kind of PC power will I need to play the biggest/most detailed DOOM wads in circulation at the moment? Thanks!

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bits

At least 4 GB Ram

Intel i3 3.00 ghz

Don't necessary to buy a graphics card

Doom wads come in all shapes and sizes; if you only play vanilla maps you will have much lower needs than if you play the latest, greatest GzDoom maps.

One thing I can mention here is that I had a fairly new ASUS laptop, NVidia GeForce 940M, i7 2.4ghz processor, 8gb ram and I ran into major problems on an MP map put out for Zand (while checking it out offline). That computer was 700 bucks US a year ago, and appears to still pretty much be 700 bucks.

For fast and cheap Dooming I suggest at least an i3 processor (for example i3 6098P @ 3.6ghz), 8GB of RAM and a mid-range vid card, like an 750Ti or a 1050.

In other words you need a fast and cheap dualcore Intel CPU and a modern Nvidia card with at least 2GB VRAM.

Of course, the more you pay the better it will be but it is not worth it to buy a monster PC just so you can run some over the top GZDoom rape-maps.

VGA said:

For fast and cheap Dooming I suggest at least an i3 processor (for example i3 6098P @ 3.6ghz), 8GB of RAM and a mid-range vid card, like an 750Ti or a 1050.

In other words you need a fast and cheap dualcore Intel CPU and a modern Nvidia card with at least 2GB VRAM.

Of course, the more you pay the better it will be but it is not worth it to buy a monster PC just so you can run some over the top GZDoom rape-maps.

£800 PC just to play better DOOM wads.... lol

I'm DOOM crazy....

It goes without saying but building your own rig is always going to be more cost-efficient than purchasing one pre-built. Also - it never hurts to have some extra power. For around the same cost as the current-gen consoles, you could build a machine that completely outperforms them. Reddit is a good place to start, I'll bet someone in the same situation as you has already posted on /r/buildapc.

Mancubus88 said:

£800 PC just to play better DOOM wads.... lol

I'm DOOM crazy....

You think it is too expensive? It is just an i3, 8gb ddr3 and a gfx card. You can skip the gfx card and use the integrated Intel one but I am not sure how good GZDoom plays with that, how good the drivers are etc.

You intend to play heavy stuff like Brutal Doom and big GZDoom maps? Which source port are you using? Stuff like prboom or Doom Retro have super low requirements.

I think the impulse to get a solid all around machine is a good one, so you can at least play civ or something if you get tired of doom. It's been known to happen.

Aquanet said:

I think the impulse to get a solid all around machine is a good one, so you can at least play civ or something if you get tired of doom. It's been known to happen.

Or even just emulators. Or if you'd like to have a YouTube video open while mapping or something.

An SSD is always a good idea. Your computer is started up before you can sit back down. A decent processor will help with anything, especially stuff like Dwarf Fortress. GZdoom maps can really need a great GFX card sometimes.

If you have no desire to play anything but Doom just go to Walmart and buy the cheapest computer there. If will run Doom. If you want to run hardcore gzdoom mods just get whatever is the cheapest gtx card still on the market and plop it in.