Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arl

Fluid Motion for Weapons.

I've seen a couple of this sprite treatment for Doom already, truth is that when I started with this I only knew of perkristian's approach of making smoother weapon animations, and since the BFG and Chainsaw were led untouched I decided to try my own take with all the weapons.

I feel that this is a bit redundant now, so I whether keep it to myself or share it for whatever use it may have.

So here it is:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/tx2jjputz626g28/Fluid_Motion_W+%28Beta%29.rar

I took special care in preserving the timing of each action and movement, maybe there's 1 or 2 tics of discrepancy in the chainsaw, but that's all.

I'm up for whatever feedback you could offer, so feel free to let me know your critiques if you want.

Thank you.

-Edit after years:

Youtube channel Hacker-Cracker showcased this mod, so nice and surprising seeing it there and after all this time:

Edited by Arl

Got linked here from the 2017 thread.

This is great. I never would've thought that a couple of extra frames could make such a big difference. I really enjoyed the chainsaw, even if it was a tad slow. The BFG I can't tell much difference with, but that's a good thing. The Plasma Gun, especially, looks phenomenal. Thank you for submitting this.

I'll be using this .WAD by default from now on :D

Some of these are markedly better than the Perkristian variants floating around. Would you mind if I incorporated some of this stuff into Smooth Doom at some point? The BFG in particular is way better than my version. I'd credit you, of course.

SSG is cut-off to the left when reloading and kind of skips past some crucial frames like the SSG getting locked after reloading and when the shells are throbbed into the barrels.
BFG shouldn't have recoil.
Chainsaw is too jumpy when idle.
Pistol has a wierd outline on the thumb while shooting.
Shotgun's left side hand palm dissappears when reloading.
The chaingun's muzzle flash doesn't sync correctly.

The animation is brilliant, by the way, in a good fluid cartoonish way.

Hey, thank you all for your comments.

Sick Bow said:

I really enjoyed the chainsaw, even if it was a tad slow.

Yeah well, that one was hard, because the moment you click the fire button the chainsaw starts the fire state, there wasn't enough time to do a proper idle to fire transition, so I delayed a couple of tics and even then the chainsaw is already firing when the transition animation is yet to get to the firing animation, hopefully you will find the change negligible.

joe-ilya said:

SSG is cut-off to the left when reloading and kind of skips past some crucial frames like the SSG getting locked after reloading and when the shells are throbbed into the barrels.
BFG shouldn't have recoil.
Chainsaw is too jumpy when idle.
Pistol has a wierd outline on the thumb while shooting.
Shotgun's left side hand palm dissappears when reloading.
The chaingun's muzzle flash doesn't sync correctly.

-You are right, the SSG graphics are cropped, and yes, the animation can use a little more love also.

-BFG's recoil was left there, I forgot to take it out, I'm trying not to move too much from vanilla but I forgot about this little experiment.

-Yeah, chainsaw should be less shaky in idle.

-Let's say that shotgun's left arm "hides" behind the shotgun, I know it's weird, but I tried to respect the original graphic. I think that Id did not know that in the future someone would try to tie those graphics together with in-between frames, they really don't match very well.

-I'm taking note of the pistol and the chaingun issues.

Hey, thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I'm going to address those things as soon as I can.

Gifty said:

Some of these are markedly better than the Perkristian variants floating around. Would you mind if I incorporated some of this stuff into Smooth Doom at some point? The BFG in particular is way better than my version. I'd credit you, of course.

Sure buddy, there are so many sprite improvement wads out there that I'm glad if my stuff can be of use to anyone. I'm planing to get into those issues marked above, but if what you need isn't involved in those future changes you can rip the hell out of what you want whenever you please.

This is great! Please keep working on this! I tend to play the game with minimal modification but I could see myself spending a lot of time with this one. In particular, the vanilla shotgun animation always seemed awkward to me but yours looks beautiful.

I fixed some of the issues and edited the first post with an updated download, I'm also adding a changelog here and a version number in the TXT file.

Changelog:

-Chainsaw less shaky in idle state.
-Fixed dark outline of hand in pistol graphics.
-Fixed sync and tweaks of Chaingun's muzzle flash.
-BFG's recoil removed.

joe-ilya said:

According to the changelog you still didn't fix the cropped SSG graphics.

Indeed, I didn't know if I was going to have the time that day, so I did what I could and updated the post.

Luckily I had time today so I fixed it, the download link is already updated.

Changelog(22/12/2016):

-Improved some frames here and there.
-Fixed cropped SSG graphics.

-The last two frames of the SSG reloading don't blend well, both visually and animationally because they just look too different
-Some of the frames have wierd red pixels around and on the glove on the SSG.
-The first tic (not the first frame) of the plasma gun cool-off looks odd.
-There are still some stray black pixels on the pistol hands, but I can't really blame it on you since it's how it looks in the original patches.

joe-ilya said:

-The last two frames of the SSG reloading don't blend well, both visually and animationally because they just look too different
-Some of the frames have wierd red pixels around and on the glove on the SSG.
-The first tic (not the first frame) of the plasma gun cool-off looks odd.
-There are still some stray black pixels on the pistol hands, but I can't really blame it on you since it's how it looks in the original patches.

Yeah, I will revisit the SSG probably next week if I have the time, it will need more in-between frames to look good.

Could you elaborate a bit more about that odd thing with the plasmagun?

40oz said:

No gifs or video?

Well, I guess if someone is interested enough, he'll download it and take a look. I don't want to put extra work outside the wad, like in advertising material and such.

I prefer the Smooth Doom animations.

Shameless plug: Check out my signature for my Black Ops mod made with DEHACKED, it is compatible with prboom+, Doom Retro, Eternity and ZDoom. It is a black gloves adaptation of the gun resources from Smooth Doom.

That was extremely pleasing! I like how its not just a "its the old sequence, but extremely smooth" but rather "its the old sequence, my way".

The chainsaw is a definite improvement, whereas Smooth Doom' chainsaw seems more like a vibrating dildo (you know its true). But I'm a bit disappointed that the BFG firing frame doesn't have that black thing on the front. It always looked weird to me.

Overall, excellent work! I can see myself loading this everytime!

joe-ilya said:

http://i.imgur.com/NfQL5Fv.png

This frame doesn't look right.

Oh, that one. Yeah, I took it from some alpha and put it guessing it could add to the motion but it need some work, I will deal with it.

VGA said:

I prefer the Smooth Doom animations.

Shameless plug: Check out my signature for my Black Ops mod made with DEHACKED, it is compatible with prboom+, Doom Retro, Eternity and ZDoom. It is a black gloves adaptation of the gun resources from Smooth Doom.

I understand.

I cheked those links, great job in bringing those mod to Doomretro, I really like that port and having that mod complatible is really cool.

Voros said:

That was extremely pleasing! I like how its not just a "its the old sequence, but extremely smooth" but rather "its the old sequence, my way".

The chainsaw is a definite improvement, whereas Smooth Doom' chainsaw seems more like a vibrating dildo (you know its true). But I'm a bit disappointed that the BFG firing frame doesn't have that black thing on the front. It always looked weird to me.

Overall, excellent work! I can see myself loading this everytime!

Thanks!

The green flash overlaping the black front of the BFG is something even present in the vanilla BFG, I also think it's weird but I decided to keep it that way. If some day I find that those graphics were made wrong and should not be like that I'll change it happily!

On 10/19/2022 at 9:31 AM, Hitman said:

Would you look at that, that's actually very interesting.

I would have a playthrough with Doom3 sounds, even for monsters, to mix things a bit.

46 minutes ago, TasAcri said:

DOOM 3 sounds were weaker than DOOM 1/2.

You're kidding, obviously. 

Also, we need a Doom 64 version of this mod. 

D64 with D3 sounds or with smooth animations?

I thought D64 had its smooth weapons mod already.

6 hours ago, Arl said:

D64 with D3 sounds or with smooth animations?

I thought D64 had its smooth weapons mod already.

Smooth animations only; adding sounds is way easier, anyone can do it using SLADE. There's indeed a smooth version already, but not as good as this one; plus it uses animations from Doom II and not the original D64 weapons, namely for the two shotguns and the plasma rifle.