Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MinerOfWorlds

How do i make realistic lighting?

I want to make my maps to have shadows but i don't know how to make it look realistic (i don't want shadows to look too big\small for the object) any tips?

Take a flashlight and shine it in various angles of a box-like object. Observe how the shadow looks in various angles, understand it, apply it in Doom. Then, fine tune the shadows to perfection.
nice custom title

What I do is just place my light sources after I've built the map, then just imagine how the light would shine in real life.

For instance, if it's a ceiling light, I make several scaled up rectangles around the light on the floor, and gradient the light from the center outward. I always do this last, because it's difficult to mess with sectors if you've already chopped them up for lighting. Here's an example:

Top-Down
3D

If it's a wall light or a torch, I just extend it out the same way, but pay respects to corners and such. The gradient tool in Doom Builder 2 works so well for this. You can go a bit overboard, like I tend to do, and you end up burdening yourself with lighting when really it's not super important. Here' an example:

Top-Down
3D

I'm no expert, and it probably doesn't look so great to other guys here, but this is how I do lighting. Ignore my monster-placement, this is the first level of my first mega-WAD I'm working on.

Sick Bow said:

What I do is just place my light sources after I've built the map, then just imagine how the light would shine in real life.

For instance, if it's a ceiling light, I make several scaled up rectangles around the light on the floor, and gradient the light from the center outward. I always do this last, because it's difficult to mess with sectors if you've already chopped them up for lighting. Here's an example:

Top-Down
3D

If it's a wall light or a torch, I just extend it out the same way, but pay respects to corners and such. The gradient tool in Doom Builder 2 works so well for this. You can go a bit overboard, like I tend to do, and you end up burdening yourself with lighting when really it's not super important. Here' an example:

Top-Down
3D

I'm no expert, and it probably doesn't look so great to other guys here, but this is how I do lighting. Ignore my monster-placement, this is the first level of my first mega-WAD I'm working on.

I forgot all about the gradient tool i've been doing it by hand so i didn't do that much detail. the lighting looks great i'll try that thanks!

MinerOfWorlds said:

I forgot all about the gradient tool i've been doing it by hand so i didn't do that much detail. the lighting looks great i'll try that thanks!

Like I said, try not to go insane with it. It'll end up eating a bunch of time, and you'll have problems like intersecting light sources with different brightness and stuff. Good lighting can make a map look a ton better, but it can't replace good gameplay.

Post here if you come up with something cool! I'm learning, too.