Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PizzaGuy

Whats the worst videogame based movie ever made?

I've seen many many videogame movie adaptions over the years and lets be honest most are pretty weak.
The weakest?
For me it has to be the Super Mario movie.
just terrible.

Mortal Kombat Annihilation is probably one of the worst films I have seen period. It's my least favorite film in general. I like the concept of including as many characters as they did, but I go as far as the concept.

bedbug182 said:

This. Even Nintendo Power agreed it was awful:

"Yes, it happened. Let us speak no more of it."

I guess the Uwe Boll video game movies are the worst... they seem to be terrible as movies and on top of that largely unrelated to the game world/story. But that's just what I heard, I have never forced myself to actually watch an Uwe Boll movie.

I watched one of those with my brother a few years ago. It was better than the Super Mario Bros. movie. That was just one of the worst things I've ever seen.

I hated the second Mortal Kombat film too, but I suspect most people would rank it above Mario Bros.

Edited by Guest

I know I said Mario Bros earlier in the thread but I won't sleep until I put 'Max Payne' into the mix.
If not one of the worst then definitely one of the most disappointing movies I've ever seen.

My memory's pretty vague, but let me think...
Street Fighter movies, yes... A Silent Hill movie i saw once, don't remember it like The game itself, so it counts...Doom movie, but I enjoyed watching that, so no... MK movies, what garbage compared to the games, needed gore... Hitman movies, I'm fine with em, could've been better though, especially the second, went too astray from Hitman itself...that's all I remember.

The loser: Street Fighter. Even MK was better those movies.

Street Fighter movie is god awful, made it 50 minutes and couldn't do any more. The MK movie was also terrible but it was way more faithful to the source material.

Ironically, Doom was pretty garbage. I really hate The Rock, so I'm biased. The acting just wasn't there for me, the story change and such was too jarring. The first person segment was cringe-worthy. The BFG was retarded.

Silent Hill: Revelation should have been much better, but if I heard correctly they edited out a lot of necessary scenes and exposition to cut down on time. Regardless, as a long time fan of the game series (well, the Japanese titles), it was so disappointing to see that film in the state it was. The first one wasn't too terrible, however, even if it did influence the games that followed way too much.

The Resident Evil movies showed a little promise with the first one, but jesus christ it's just beyond terrible now. The story has no idea where to go, the acting is garbage, and they just name drop for the sake of nostalgia. Leon Kennedy is by far the worst addition to the characters of those films. Glad nothing is cannon in the RE movies. The games are a bit on the nose, but the movies are actually trying to be taken seriously. The live-action sequence in RE1 was better than the second film.

I'll completely agree, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Hitman, Mario Bros, and others in this thread are terrible, but for me the grand prize loser would have to ultimately be Silent Hill: Revelation. I mean, even the poster is cringeworthy.

Ah yes, Resident Evil. I never like those movies because it's hard to understand what happened, what's going on, etc. it's like in each movie, the story has changed into something else completely. I'm like "WTF, what happened to [insert movie-related string] last time?"
Strange story progression.

Voros said:

Ah yes, Resident Evil. I never like those movies because it's hard to understand what happened, what's going on, etc. it's like in each movie, the story has changed into something else completely. I'm like "WTF, what happened to [insert movie-related string] last time?"
Strange story progression.

I'm far too unconcerned to do any real research, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they changed directors or something each movie. It's clear like I said that they have no clear directions or goals in mind, minus "It's got the name RESIDENT EVIL, how can people not love it?!".

Hell, they even change actors and actresses of the main characters. Look at Mr Sunglasses-Indoors-Albert-Wesker

Tetzlaff said:

I guess the Uwe Boll video game movies are the worst... they seem to be terrible as movies and on top of that largely unrelated to the game world/story. But that's just what I heard, I have never forced myself to actually watch an Uwe Boll movie.

For the most part you'd be right, House of the Dead was absolutely terrible. But he also made Postal, which I think is the best video-game movie made. It followed the script, or lack thereof in Postal 2, and it turned out to be a ridiculous romp of insanity. The only downside was seeing Dave Foley's dick, but Uwe Boll has to fuck up at least one thing in his movies.

And yes, the Doom movie sucked. I managed to get three other people to see it with me when it came out in theaters, and we all thought it was crap. I just felt like a dick for making them see it with me. Really, an extra chromosome doesn't make you a demon, it gives you Downs Syndrome.

There were three things a Doom movie needed: Hell, Demons, and a lone, bad-ass Space Marine. They fucked up all three.

Postal is exactly how video game movies should be made -- faithful to the material, but managing to stand on its own as a film. Postal, like its source material, is completely insane and stupid, but also an amazing, irreverent satire. I stream movies most every Friday and guess what my choice was for September 11th last year?

The Doom movie, meanwhile, is like if Studio Asylum did a ripoff of Aliens.

Not saying it's the worst ever, but I just have to throw Max Payne in there. Personally I was especially disappointed with this one. Loved the 2 games, it was ripe for a great screenplay, but they just changed all the wrong stuff and it turned out shit.

geX said:

Not saying it's the worst ever, but I just have to throw Max Payne in there. Personally I was especially disappointed with this one. Loved the 2 games, it was ripe for a great screenplay, but they just changed all the wrong stuff and it turned out shit.

Sin City is a better representation of how a Max Payne movie should be than Max Payne.

The issue with this, however, is that Max Payne is more of a cinematic experience than most games of the same genre, so making a movie adaptation would really just be translating the game into movie format. Not saying it can't be done right, not saying it would be hard at all, but it'd be real easy to mess up (as we saw).

Sick Bow said:

Sin City is a better representation of how a Max Payne movie should be than Max Payne.

The issue with this, however, is that Max Payne is more of a cinematic experience than most games of the same genre, so making a movie adaptation would really just be translating the game into movie format. Not saying it can't be done right, not saying it would be hard at all, but it'd be real easy to mess up (as we saw).

Very much agree with the Sin City - Max Payne comparison.
If they'd have used that aesthetic and kept it as grimy and pulp like as the games it could have been a winner.

I must be in the minority here, because I enjoy the Super Mario Bros. movie. Yes, it's stupid. Yes, it was incompetently directed. Yes, it strays a bit too far from the tone of the source material. But you know what? It's got Bob Hoskins AND Dennis Hopper. The set designer from Blade Runner worked on it. Megadeth is in the soundtrack. The film is littered with references from the series. And above all, it's fun the whole way through. Not a masterpiece, but worth multiple viewings for sure.

Now, as far as worst...well, I by no means have seen them all, but I've seen a few. "Doom" is pretty fucking terrible. I know it's hard to craft a plot around the game that doesn't suck (even Doom '16 is a bit lacking in the story department), but to completely remove the demonic element was the worst possible move, because it meant that set design, creature costumes, puppets, makeup, backdrops, etc., all ended up being very ordinary because the writers reduced the plot to your standard "haunted house" feature, rather than going the extra mile like Event Horizon did and getting into supernatural elements. It's poorly paced, poorly directed, poorly written, poorly acted, the soundtrack is forgettable and the FPS sequence is laughably silly. Plus, within the first few minutes of the film, we're introduced to a character who is sexually perverted and talks about getting it on with "sheboys," something that comes off as naively transphobic today. It's beyond stupid.

I thought "Postal" was garbage, even though the game it's based off of is great. Uwe has no concept of pacing. It was incredibly slow, so slow that I was unable to finish it. It's boring beyond reason, even when the violence kicks in. There's just no heart in it. The whole thing feels more like someone's first project than a director with multiple titles on his resume. It's very sloppy and poorly written, and most of the jokes fall flat. I wouldn't have minded Dave Foley's cock on screen if there had been a funny reason to show it, but it's almost like Uwe's rationale was, "Haha, a penis." So what? I don't think the man understands humor very well. To its credit, the movie did bear a strong resemblance to the game, and the scene where only children are slaughtered was darkly funny. But those moments are far and few between.

I wonder if Resident Evil would have been any better, had they chosen to keep George Romero as the director. Land of the Dead, and Diary of the Dead were pretty bad. I think his time has passed.

I don't know what's worse,

the fact the resident evil movies bare little resemblance to the original games. Or the fact that the movies ruined the latter part of the game series by making it action.

Also, I think the new resident evil is going to fucking blow. Why not just make a Texas Chainsaw Massacre game, instead of rebooting a series to transform it into something else?

Also,

I guess we can expect a movie to be bad, if its about a game, that within and of itself, borrows from movies. Which is what many games do.

Kontra Kommando said:

Also, I think the new resident evil is going to fucking blow. Why not just make a Texas Chainsaw Massacre game, instead of rebooting a series to transform it into something else?

Really? I found myself excited by it, as the series has been kinda whatever the last few games. The RE series works best when it's very personal and gritty, like RE4, and the footage I've been seeing of the new one has similar vibes. I suppose it's a bit too Texas Chainsaw, but I dunno, I think it works.

Doom was awful.

A lot of people disliked Max Payne. I, on the other hamd, enjoyed it. But I would have preferred a different actor play Max. I think Michael Madsen would have been a great choice.

Video game movies probably have the worst track record of all genres. Somehow it seems that Hollywood is fixated on the cliché that gamers are socially inept or even dumb people so they produce movies that target precisely this group and fail to attract a target audience.

It's really hard to pick a worst out of this pile of dung, but if I had to, I'd choose Super Mario Bros., because it's not just a stupid movie but its entire production design rubbed me the wrong way and just wanted me to switch off the visual torture it provided.

What we need in Hollywood are people who are both competent at the moviemaking process, and have a deep understanding of gaming, and gamers. Game movies as a genre have existed for over 20 years. We ought to see improvement at some point. On a related note, the Silent Hill movie was directed by someone who was a huge fan of the series, and who worked alongside Konami during the film's production. It may not be the best horror movie, but it's a damn good adaptation.

We have two champions!

#1 and unbeatable(I hope) - Doom. Because they failed Doom! At least it's absolutely terrible movie! Everything was wrong!
#2 - Resident Evil. Same situation. Firstly it's not a horror! Your grandma can watch RE movie! Mila Yovovich is the only good thing happens to this movie. I hate all this hype about this piece of trash - goddamn low quality pop bullshit!

bedbug182 said:

I've seen many many videogame movie adaptions over the years and lets be honest most are pretty weak.
The weakest?
just terrible.

It's far far far far far far from being the Worst movie based on Video Games..... A lot of Youtubers like to point it, because it's one of the most common....

But there is a HUGE list of movies that SUCK even more than Super Mario...

-Far Cry
-House of the Dead
-Postal

Those ones are MUCH shittier than the Super Mario movie.

NoisM said:

Mila Yovovich is the only good thing happens to this movie. I hate all this hype about this piece of trash - goddamn low quality pop bullshit!

Actually she is WORST thing that could happen to those movies... She was just there because she was the wife of the director....
Since she was the Wife, she was made the Mary Sue of the movie....

Just like in the same way that Rob Zombie likes to put his Wife and Friends on every single movie he directed....