Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Zulk RS

Is it possibel to make maps skip on lower difficulty?

I played a SNES game once where some stages were skipped on lower difficulty and was wondering if it's possible to have such a feature in a Doom wad.

When mapping for (G)Zdoom, is it possible to make it so that some maps are skipped on ITYTD difficulty?

You can replace the exit switch in a map with a script like this (for example):

script 1 (void) {
    if(GameSkill()<=SKILL_EASY) { Teleport_NewMap(3,0,0); }
    else { Teleport_NewMap(2,0,0); }
}
Make sure the next maps have properly assigned "Levelnum" properties in their MAPINFO.

scifista42 said:

script 1 (void) {
}
Make sure the next maps have properly assigned "Levelnum" properties in their MAPINFO.

Very nice, I'll have to jot that down.

Gives me a good idea: Having a boss at the end, and then a "secret boss" or "true boss" if you're playing on higher difficulties, in addition to having resupply levels on the easier difficulties.

Really opens up a lot of options for smaller WADs.

scifista42 said:

script 1 (void) {
}

If I do this, will I still get the level complete screen or intermission screen that we get when we usually exit a map?

What about text screens like the one on MAP06 of Doom II?

^ I don't know, I've never used the feature. I could find out by actually using it in a map, but so could you, and since you're going to do it anyway, I'll leave it to you. :)

^
Yeah. I'm going try it tomorrow and tell you what happens. In the meantime, is there any other way to do this?

Well, in the same conditional statement as above, instead of 2 calls of Teleport_NewMap with different parameters, you could try one call of Exit_Normal and one call of Exit_Secret, provided the map has Next and SecretNext MAPINFO properties set to different maps.

Teleport_NewMap will show the intermission screen, in fact, the only difference between Exit_Normal, Exit_Secret and Teleport_NewMap is where they get the next map info from. What happens internally solely depends on how the episode is set up in MAPINFO.

^
Interesting.
So if I use this on, say MAP06 of Doom II to get to MAP12, it will display the text screen that plays between Maps 06 and 07 and then teleport me to MAP12. Right?

That's what should happen. But keep in mind that messages are per-cluster not per-map, so you'd get the same when going from MAP01 to MAP12. And when going from any map to MAP31 you'll always get the special text for that map.

It also depends on whether the text is defined as an EnterText or ExitText. I think it'd be possible to make quite complex behavior of displaying texts between maps that are being jumped between in a non-linear fashion, thanks to defining the clusters with careful choice of EnterText vs. ExitText.

Graf Zahl said:

That's what should happen. But keep in mind that messages are per-cluster not per-map, so you'd get the same when going from MAP01 to MAP12. And when going from any map to MAP31 you'll always get the special text for that map.

Is this because MAP06 and MAP11 have ExitText in use but MAP31 has used EnterText?