Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Guest Unregistered account

Coco Duel: A new Duel map | Looking for feedback!

I recently shambled together a single level for duelling on.
Somewhat inspired by DoomKid's mapping timelapse.

It's Vanilla and is meant for Oldschool rules - no mouseaim, no jumping or crouching, etc.
I'm not sure if it should be played with item respawn on or off. =/

Screenies!

Spoiler

If anyone has any ideas on how to improve it or even what I've done right, I'd be glad to hear them!

[DOWNLOAD]

I've never had the opportunity to play multiplayer Doom in any capacity, outside of the Xbox 360 version, which was surprisingly a blast. I love the look and feel of this map, it reminds me of a lot of the better Quake / Half Life maps from my earlier days. I'd love to see how it plays. I've got plenty of buddies that would want to join me for a game, so I guess that's my excuse to actually play some multiplayer.

The closed quarters spacing is nice. The flow of the map is really neat. The switch to get to the Soulsphere is a great idea, and I can see that being a cool point to fight over, and leading to some insane situations. There's a lot of detail packed in, but nothing to really get snagged on while flying around the map.

I really liked this map, and I couldn't find much wrong with it, so I guess I'll bitch about little things so this isn't just positive criticism:

• If you turn around in the Level Exit / Chainsaw room, the textures used for the area near the ceiling are a little weird considering the surrounding textures.

• It was very strange that you can't (seemingly) get to the shotguns in the raised alcoves. I guess those are player spawn points? Either way, having items that are unobtainable is a little weird, albeit not too huge of a problem, and really a subjective thing. Also, am I meant to be able to get on top of the cliff outside? Couldn't manage that, and there is an invisible plane towards the edge for some reason. Likely put there in case you somehow manage to get up top.

• I don't like the Stimpaks in the alcoves. They're not that useful of an item, so I really can't picture anyone slowing down and making themselves vulnerable to pick them up.

• These textures, while they do look great from a distance, don't really line up too well. I know this is a DM level, so it's not too important, but it couldn't hurt to maybe align them a little better or use another texture. Another example

• Also, this little alcove in the PG room going below the map is pretty strange. I'm sure there is a way to make it not extend into the floor and still look good, much like the alcove next to it. Side-note, you can't fall down there!

Thanks for the feedback!
You could always test it with bots through Offline Skirmish in Zandronum. Obviously the bots aren't very smart, get stuck occasionally on geometry and never abuse weapons (which would be useful for testing), but they're ok for the early stages of development.

Now...
-The Stimpack alcoves are kind of more to take (very temporary) shelter from any rocket spam - as the base area of this level is composed mostly of straight corridors.
-The textures above the doorway in the Exit room are more or less just there to mirror what's on the other side of the door. I think I will change that.
-The raised Shotguns are indeed spawn points... however, strangely, I don't think I've ever spawned there. =|

-I'll definitely have to fix the textures outside, and no, you're not supposed to be able to get above the wall. Do you think players should be able to? It could provide an extra layer of gameplay, but could also overcomplicate things.
-The computer panel in the Plasma Rifle room was a design choice but, looking back, I admit that it's a bit weird. I'll probably replace it with two of those small monitors.

Once again, thanks for the feedback! :3

Ive only quick checked the map. Things i discovered so far.

- its OS, so disabling items respawn is a good idea
- replace plasma for bfg and switch it with soulsphere can be a good idea
- probably add one more RL outside

Wait what others more experienced people says. But for me its pretty good result for first map.

Thanks for the suggestions, but I feel like more than one Rocket Launcher would be close to overkill - the base area of the level is mostly corridors and the RL is very dominating there.

I was going to place a BFG on the Soul Sphere pedestal initially (hence the way it lowers as a lift after it's stepped on), but after my experiences playing with BFG hoggers on Duel40, I don't really think the level needs one.

I haven't had a chance to playtest this but I love the screenshots - Looks like NRFTL deathmatch edition :) I'll be putting a server up for this when I'm home

Doomkid said:

I haven't had a chance to playtest this but I love the screenshots - Looks like NRFTL deathmatch edition :)

Thanks - it's not quite up there in terms of visual polish with NRFTL, but I think it's okay!

I'll be putting a server up for this when I'm home

Woah, what? Really?? Thank you! =D
That means a lot to me! Which Sourceport are you thinking of?

[MEGA-BUMP]

I've let a lot of my Multiplayer projects collect dust, but I'm thinking of maybe touching up this map and Honey Sandwich Duel (yes) ~ 

And, hey! Maybe I can include a bonus map with that DWANGO5 Level 20 MIDI I mentioned! =D

Looking good, Kapanyo! Will put up a test server on one of the ports when I get home

Thankies, DoomKid ~ I'll have to actually play a game of this with real people before I get an idea of how it plays (I'm thinking of dropping the switch-activated lift-wall by the exit door, as it kinda slows down the pace, but I put it there to give people on the Rocket Launcher side of the wall an advantage, since only they can hit the switch).

I also need to make a MAPINFO lump for it, if I remember correctly.

if you are looking for feedback on your duel map good luck because that gamemode rarely gets played now. your best bet is playing with doomkid lol

If my previous games on Zandronum are anything to go by, Duel is still a popular gamemode.

But that's beside the point; making the map is half the fun. And Dueling is as historical as DM itself; it's not like it's gonna just disappear.

Lots of people still duel... The biggest problem in looking for DMs/duels is finding something non-mm8bdm on Zand.

Id like to give this map a shot at some point.

34 minutes ago, Fonze said:

Lots of people still duel... The biggest problem in looking for DMs/duels is finding something non-mm8bdm on Zand.

so lots of people duel except they don't; what?

just gotta host a TSPG server and highlight a person on irc or these two as I said.

A lot of people duel, but not as frequently as people Megaman 8BDM. Partly due to the fact that anyone can drop in and play MM8BDM (or DM in general), whereas with Duel servers you have to wait to play, and it's a more competitive environment.

Anywho, the reason I made this map was partly because I'd just had a blast playing Duel40 on Zandro - Dueling really inspires me so I try to channel as much of my creative energy into something as possibly in the timeframe after my duelling romp.

EDIT: btw I'll be updating this map more after my exams, which are in a few months... I'll probably just make a new thread tbh~

Cool to hear Kap. I look forward to your updates and I hope to catch you in a duel some time :)

Thanks, Fonze! ^^

It would be an honour to duel with you!

Unfortunately it'll probably take at least until May for me to A) be able to play Doom online and B) update this WAD... my dad wants me to knuckle down on revision for my exams ;~; (which is understandable I guess)