Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catoptromancy

Vanilla Bugs and Fixes

It pisses me off when you have to modify a map because the program that you use to build nodes can't do its job correctly. It's not the first time that I get a bug in a map because the node builder was doing something wrong. But maybe it could be a bug in the engine?

I made a video about it.

I found out that the subsector (if it really is this) follows a straight line with a wall that's right a the bottom of the ledge. The wall is made of two parallel linedefs.

ggZw5pi.png

It's weird how the player falls through the floor. Looks like his radius is not taken into account. If you noclip, you'd think it be easier to fall into the crack, but no. Same for monsters, they fall straight into the hole/crack, instantaneously.

Edited by axdoomer

What node builder was this map built with?

This sounds like a bug I have seen in some maps built with older versions of BSP.

I built it using whatever default was in GZDB at the time, I'll play around with an updated version and see if i can recreate this bug.

On 13/04/2017 at 0:47 AM, axdoomer said:

I found out that the subsector (if it really is this) follows a straight line with a wall that's right a the bottom of the ledge. The wall is made of two parallel linedefs.

You may be onto something there. The example in Plutonia I gave is exactly the same.

wO86Oct.png

In Phase II's MAP05, it is possible to grab the Blue Passcard through the bar without lowering it firsthand. It is not that big of a deal, since the switch to do so is in the very next room, but I do not think this is intended.

Also, after dying a few times on MAP07, I can no longer reach the switch after I have killed all the Technospiders. It seems like the staircase just will not lower itself.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

3 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

Also, after dying a few times on MAP07, I can no longer reach the switch after I have killed all the Technospiders. It seems like the staircase just will not lower itself.

That is a common well-known vanilla bug. Do not kill last manc or spider before second to last has finished its dying animation. 

Related. Do we really need a standard MAP07? It could be any other style map, map does not need mancs or spiders. 

6 minutes ago, Catoptromancy said:

Related. Do we really need a standard MAP07? It could be any other style map, map does not need mancs or spiders. 

No it doesn't need to be a standard map07, but it is the only place where 666 and 667 works. I'm not surprised if people try make the best use of it.

Has it been reported that it is currently impossible to get 100% kills in MAP08? It appears a dozen or so former humans are not getting activated and teleported outside of their closed-off area.

This thread was mainly for bugs that are vanilla related, but almost all those are gone and many maps are being updated right now. I am not updating the first post anymore either. 

Can still post bugs in here to keep them on record. The issues page on the repo is probably best place to post bugs. 

https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/issues

I also I saw a new MAP08 recently, so map will probably be entirely different in the future.

I've been playing freedoom and thoroughly enjoying it, great work everyone involved! a very refreshing game, its like playing doom for the first time again!

I found one "bug" in phase 2, map 3.

There is an area where you are fighting invisible flesh worms around 10-ish large square pylons, and in the corner there is an armor pickup behind a grate, which can be accessed by a secret corridor.

Well I could grab the armor through the grate, making the secret somewhat useless.

Also is freedoom a lot harder than regular doom? I've been playing on the equivalent of UV, but it seems a lot harder in some ways - hitscan enemies give out a lot more damage - the basic zombie I think can do 15 damage with one hit - and the chaingun zombie can kill you from 100% in a few seconds... Certainly makes me rethink how I play the game! which is good, I like a challenge. Just wondering if that was an intended design decision.

The Revenant replacement (sorry don't know the name) missiles seem to be a lot easier to avoid, and seem to crash into walls really easily. In an exposed position behind a wall where a usual revenant missile would hit you, the freedoom version just hits the wall.

Great work once again everyone, I'm really enjoying playing through. Also is there a way to take screenshots in crispy doom?

18 minutes ago, HexenMapper said:

I found one "bug" in phase 2, map 3.

There is an area where you are fighting invisible flesh worms around 10-ish large square pylons, and in the corner there is an armor pickup behind a grate, which can be accessed by a secret corridor.

Well I could grab the armor through the grate, making the secret somewhat useless.

Also is freedoom a lot harder than regular doom? I've been playing on the equivalent of UV, but it seems a lot harder in some ways - hitscan enemies give out a lot more damage - the basic zombie I think can do 15 damage with one hit - and the chaingun zombie can kill you from 100% in a few seconds... Certainly makes me rethink how I play the game! which is good, I like a challenge. Just wondering if that was an intended design decision.

The Revenant replacement (sorry don't know the name) missiles seem to be a lot easier to avoid, and seem to crash into walls really easily. In an exposed position behind a wall where a usual revenant missile would hit you, the freedoom version just hits the wall.

1. You're the second person to report a bug like that. I can't seem to replicate it.

2. Yes, Freedoom is a bit more harder than Doom, because people know how to handle a FPS these days, whereas in the '90s FPS games were relatively new. As for the damage thing, Freedoom doesn't modify any game logic. It's the thing placement and map design that makes it seem more harder.

3. Again, game logic is not changed whatsoever. Maybe you're just a good player ;)

The map03 armor bump seems to be quite easy to achieve by running against the bars, the map05 key bump seems rather more difficult (I needed to strafe50) but both seem to activate in a similar way when you take your fingers off the keys. -complevel 2 -nomonsters demos here

19 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

Okay, I shall repost my comments there.

In the meantime, not sure if it is a bug, but I cannot seem to get 100% items on MAP06.

There isn't even any info about what's the current status of these maps. Blastfrog really needs to post a status report instead of working in secret.

4 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

There isn't even any info about what's the current status of these maps. Blastfrog really needs to post a status report instead of working in secret.

Maybe you should just ask him share it. Heck, he showed me the maps hes using via a wad. Of course, that wad is probably outdated now, if Soda made new updates since then. Not mention that its an early attempt, so it wouldnt be fair to judge.

Lets just say, it'll mostly be different from the cluster in Freedoom right now.

16 hours ago, HexenMapper said:

Also is there a way to take screenshots in crispy doom?

You may define a key in crispy-doom-setup, and there is also an optional "clean screenshot" feature which renders only the scene but no further HUD obstacles.

7 hours ago, fabian said:

You may define a key in crispy-doom-setup, and there is also an optional "clean screenshot" feature which renders only the scene but no further HUD obstacles.

Ah great! thanks

@Blastfrog stated that he'll keep map02, and his concept WAD has an unfinished map02 in it, so I'll just say this: 

While it's nice to see that map02's exit requires a yellow key, which in turns needs the red and blue keys too, getting the blue and red keys is very easy. All because you can jump on the platforms that hold the keys.

Reporting it here, as there is no development thread for the first cluster of maps of Phase 2.