Vanilla Bugs and Fixes

It pisses me off when you have to modify a map because the program that you use to build nodes can't do its job correctly. It's not the first time that I get a bug in a map because the node builder was doing something wrong. But maybe it could be a bug in the engine?

I made a video about it.

I found out that the subsector (if it really is this) follows a straight line with a wall that's right a the bottom of the ledge. The wall is made of two parallel linedefs.

ggZw5pi.png

It's weird how the player falls through the floor. Looks like his radius is not taken into account. If you noclip, you'd think it be easier to fall into the crack, but no. Same for monsters, they fall straight into the hole/crack, instantaneously.

Edited by axdoomer
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

What node builder was this map built with?

This sounds like a bug I have seen in some maps built with older versions of BSP.

I built it using whatever default was in GZDB at the time, I'll play around with an updated version and see if i can recreate this bug.

On 13/04/2017 at 0:47 AM, axdoomer said:

I found out that the subsector (if it really is this) follows a straight line with a wall that's right a the bottom of the ledge. The wall is made of two parallel linedefs.

You may be onto something there. The example in Plutonia I gave is exactly the same.

wO86Oct.png

<Mastrius0713> Yo! problem on e1m7. The lifts that lower into the toxic waste pool have a damage effect. on zdoom

Edited by Catoptromancy

In Phase II's MAP05, it is possible to grab the Blue Passcard through the bar without lowering it firsthand. It is not that big of a deal, since the switch to do so is in the very next room, but I do not think this is intended.

Also, after dying a few times on MAP07, I can no longer reach the switch after I have killed all the Technospiders. It seems like the staircase just will not lower itself.

Edited by JohnnyTheWolf

3 hours ago, JohnnyTheWolf said:

Also, after dying a few times on MAP07, I can no longer reach the switch after I have killed all the Technospiders. It seems like the staircase just will not lower itself.

That is a common well-known vanilla bug. Do not kill last manc or spider before second to last has finished its dying animation. 

Related. Do we really need a standard MAP07? It could be any other style map, map does not need mancs or spiders. 

6 minutes ago, Catoptromancy said:

Related. Do we really need a standard MAP07? It could be any other style map, map does not need mancs or spiders. 

No it doesn't need to be a standard map07, but it is the only place where 666 and 667 works. I'm not surprised if people try make the best use of it.

Has it been reported that it is currently impossible to get 100% kills in MAP08? It appears a dozen or so former humans are not getting activated and teleported outside of their closed-off area.