Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
R1ck

CLAUSTROPHOBIA (map02 beta is out) (update:1/3/17)

Hi there, sorry for such an inactivity for a long time because of procrastinating (and I blame warframe for that) and earlier this month I've been working on a vanilla Doom 2. wad and I just finished it like tens of minutes ago.

This is supposed to be the first out of five maps in the said wad that I named sheitmaps.wad (for reasons)

UPDATE:1/3/17
1- Done with map02: here are the screenshots:

[img]http://i.imgur.com/gddQYbl.png[/img

2- take away download link for map01 for further fixing.

3- map name officially changed to Claustrophobia.

please use only gzdoom to play the wad.
map02 can be downloaded here:
EDIT: FIXED THE EXIT DOOR BUG HOLY SHIT HOW DID I FORGOT THAT.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/34mztesc333t3x1/sheitmap2.wad

Thanks.

I played through it a bit but there's just a lot of enemies everywhere for no reason and little ammo, didn't really enjoy it but your other map ( project purgotary ) also had a lot of enemies so I guess you like it that way lol

Gave it a spin in GZDoom. The lift behind the blue key seems to work only once or twice. I had to idclip past that.

Enemy composition is fine. Ammo is easily sufficient, maybe at least 2x-3x as much as is needed. Beware, though, of putting blocks of monsters in ways where they do nothing but slow down progress. The first group of monsters in the building -- the ones you drop down to via a lift -- basically would be awful if this were actually for vanilla, because monsters are infinitely tall there. There'd be no way to even get in the area without tediously picking away for maybe a minute or more. In GZDoom, though, I could just run over their heads. The monsters behind the blue key door on the lift are similar. There is no way to ride the lift up there without killing them first, so you just have to stand down there and shoot away until they are mostly dead. Rest was okay. I like the monster count in general -- it's fun to shoot the SSG and blow away 3+ monsters with each shot, and most of the monsters are low-tier so the pace isn't really so slow, apart from the aforementioned lift section.

rdwpa said:

Gave it a spin in GZDoom. The lift behind the blue key seems to work only once or twice. I had to idclip past that.

Enemy composition is fine. Ammo is easily sufficient, maybe at least 2x-3x as much as is needed. Beware, though, of putting blocks of monsters in ways where they do nothing but slow down progress. The first group of monsters in the building -- the ones you drop down to via a lift -- basically would be awful if this were actually for vanilla, because monsters are infinitely tall there. There'd be no way to even get in the area without tediously picking away for maybe a minute or more. In GZDoom, though, I could just run over their heads. The monsters behind the blue key door on the lift are similar. There is no way to ride the lift up there without killing them first, so you just have to stand down there and shoot away until they are mostly dead. Rest was okay. I like the monster count in general -- it's fun to shoot the SSG and blow away 3+ monsters with each shot, and most of the monsters are low-tier so the pace isn't really so slow, apart from the aforementioned lift section.

In all honesty, I am suck at monster placement. Gonna trying to fix that by reading the guide. I'm sure it's here in this forum somewhere. And the lift as well. Somehow it slip trough when I was tested it.

For me I was having problems trying to clean out the room after the red door, but I just need to run over their heads and fight them off.

Marble stone path before the exit could use a way back up if you fall down. Some area needs some work with the texture alignment.

Other than that, nice one.

ZeroTheEro said:

For me I was having problems trying to clean out the room after the red door, but I just need to run over their heads and fight them off.

Marble stone path before the exit could use a way back up if you fall down. Some area needs some work with the texture alignment.

Other than that, nice one.

Will fix that as well.

rickacid said:

In all honesty, I am suck at monster placement. Gonna trying to fix that by reading the guide. I'm sure it's here in this forum somewhere. And the lift as well. Somehow it slip trough when I was tested it.

It's a decent resource, but the best way to learn is to pay attention while playing mapsets that you have enjoyed (and replay maps that you like too, because it's probably not the best thing in many maps to try to focus on logically breaking down placements on first playthoughs).

I was going to do a video review, but figured this is way easier and less tacky. Maybe some other time. I'm going to just list off everything that came to mind while I was playing. Apologies in advance. This is all my opinion, so feel free to ignore it (minus the stuff like HOMs and texture alignment). I'll split this up into what I liked and what I didn't like:

The Good:

• The archways were fantastic. Seriously, the textures, alignment, and everything about them was amazing.
  • Starting with enemies facing away gives the player tons of options on how to approach the scenario.
  • The SSG lying by the Dead Player tells a lot of story. Very nice touch.
  • The Baron "bossfight" is both difficult and fun.
  • Never had a problem running out of ammunition.
  • The overall tone and design is awesome. Feels like I'm entering some sort of crypt.
  • The Green Armor on the stone "altar" reminds me of a body in viewing in a crypt. Really, really cool placement.
  • The secret at the beginning (which I list issues with later) is awesome, minus the actual entering/finding.
  • For a first map, it's pretty good. Doing an outdoor portion can be ballsy and easily messed up, you did it fairly well.
The Bad:
  • There is a HOM to the right of the first gate from the spawn area, above the wall.
  • You can ride the doors outside, get on the walls, and outside the map. The pinkies do this themselves and get bugged out.
  • The secret outside has no indication, and involves going through railing. That's pretty weird, and I'd never have known unless I was running into all the walls.
  • The "maze" area with the key outdoors is kind of pointless. I'd expand it out.
  • The trap you fall into when you enter the first "crypt" area behind the red door is totally bogus as others have said above.
  • The rooms behind the switch that you have to hit have no enemies/items in lower difficulties.
  • Texture misalignments. Texture misalignments everywhere. It looks like they were aligned, but got off track as more details were added.
  • The door entering the Baron bossfight room's tracks are not unpegged. This is super bad looking.
  • The lift past the blue door cannot be brought back down. If you fall, you're stuck.
  • The ambush past the blue door has the same problem as the first ambush.
  • There is a HOM on the upper part of the stairs leading from the blue door lift to the broken catwalk.
  • In this same area, there is a random strip of green brick that doesn't fit at all on the left side of the hallway.
  • Falling off the broken catwalk will leave you completely stranded. Put a teleport or lava or something down there.
  • You can't get to the platform with the Mancubus to get the weapons dropped there :(
  • The map just kinda ends in a big empty pit with a teleporter. The Baron fight would have been a lot better as the map's climax, tbh.
Really, what's frustrating, is to see such nice details in some areas, and seeing amateur mistakes in others. Sorry for being so harsh, but I hope you take this as criticism for next time and not just bitching on my part. Really, I see tons of awesome ideas and more than a ton of potential here, it just needs to be applied consistently to your next project, rather than a few parts getting what looks like days of love, and others being skimmed through. It's your first map, and I'm sure a lot was rushed out the door to get it out there, and I tried to keep that in mind. Thank you for uploading this, by the way, it's better to get something out there first, and learn from it in my opinion.

I am confused. The images show the map layout looks right but the gun graphics are different. rdwpa said:

I found the blue key at the end a small maze in a room with a baron trap and there was no lift. Is the name shiet.wad. Just confused. =:)

Ed_Deth said:

I am confused. The images show the map layout looks right but the gun graphics are different. rdwpa said:

I found the blue key at the end a small maze in a room with a baron trap and there was no lift. Is the name shiet.wad. Just confused. =:)

I was using Doom 4 weapon in Brutal Doom plugins. And what he meant by that was the lift behind the blue door.

I'm about to begin the fix.

Edit: the wad name is actually sheitmap.wad. the name might change though.

I hope I didn't force you to change your creative direction, but it makes me feel good knowing my feedback was taken into account!

I'll be sure to play this later when I'm not on mobile.

Come on, now. I did my homework on why you didn't like the mod author. And brutal doom too is overrated and stuff. That's why I'm using different plugins.

Yes, I'm using a stock assets.

I'm about to get super picky again if that's cool. Here's some points I'm writing as I play through the update:

Outdoors:
  • I miss the old starting area. Being able to move around the pillars was awesome. Works either way, though, now there's more infighting.
  • Shooting outdoors alerts all outdoor enemies. You should tag some walls as "Block Sound".
  • Still love the start, the archways, and the SSG's spawn point.
  • You can still climb on top of the "maze" and get outside the playable area by standing on the first entrance door. The Pinkies can still do this, too.
    You can get on top of the maze by using the second door as well.
  • That secret is a little better, but still kinda weird, especially considering that the indicator torches are used ten feet away to mark the main door.
  • The maze area is much better, and the ambushes were cool as hell.
  • You can get on top of the map by riding the first Chaingun Guy's lift up.
  • I'd put more of a "point" to some of the dead-ends other than just being for monsters to spawn.
  • The TP in the maze is awesome, but I'd indicate it a little better (use a regular TP pad). Just preference, though.
  • A lot of textures in the maze aren't lined up

Crypt:
  • The big ambush area in the "crypt" is so, so, so much nicer now! Really, it's awesome.
  • Lots of wall textures still misaligned, the corner alcoves need to be unpegged and that will solve a lot of issues.

Sewers:
  • Blocking the sound seems to have improved the area a ton.
  • Again, more textures misaligned.

Upstairs Ambush:
  • Loving that I can actually get back on the elevator!
  • The ambush of Former Soldiers is kind of odd, considering I've already been killing Barons by this point. I'd have tossed some other enemy types in there. Still satisfying to wipe them out in one SSG blast.
  • Misaligned textures :/

MancuBridge:
  • Love that bridge fight. Makes it pretty tense, but you can cheese out by just not popping out very much and taking advantage of the Macubus' large frame.
  • I dropped down to the "secret" area, and all the Pinkeys were dead?
  • HOM in the corner with all the dead pinkeys (wall with teleporter behind)
  • I like how I can get to the RL and chaingunner's weapon now!
  • As far as I can tell, you're absolutely fucked if you fall off the other side. I'd just throw another teleport over there, or at least be lazy and fill it with lava.

Exit:
  • That last fight was cool. The room is a little boring, but it works very well. I got killed by an Imp because I wasn't paying attention :/
  • That last Baron scared the shit out of me honestly. Nice touch!
  • I wish the architecture here was as nice as it was in the previous areas. Needs more consistency.

Honestly, everything I see is an improvement over the last iteration. This is a pretty solid map now, it just needs some more TLC. I'm pretty shit at Doom, so playing on HMP then on UV was pretty crazy, even if it's not the most difficult map ever. My biggest complain is that some areas are fantastic, while others are meh. It shows some inconsistency, but the map is (I figure) WIP, so yeah. My biggest compliment is the general feel of the whole place. Sorry to assume the story and such, but it feels like I'm visiting some wicked crypt, and plays pretty damned well now, minus my complaints above. Just take more time when placing/aligning textures, triple check for bugs and HOM effects, try it out in a few different ports, and test test test.

Thanks for the feedback. I've already started the second map. Will fix the said error when I'm finish it. You won't be seeing the same mistake again.

This map was actually quite good for a First time Map, I've been busy making and practicing my own mapping skills in hopes of one day.. Anyway, There's A lot going for your map already, I especially liked the Maze, The Map start, The Deviations from the main path to grab Keys, The positioning of Decorations and so forth. Needs a bit more stimpacks (Like 2), And Enemy placement is something to work on, Sure a bunch of enemies increases fighting time and time spent on map, but getting shitted on by 10 Zombieman out of nowhere is something you should only do if your making a Parody of "Hectic" (That one Doom 64 map, ya know?) ORRR If the Player is well armed.

Overall, Really Nice! I like how you did the Architecture to! (Especially at the Beginning out door Segment)

I wish you luck and Gods speed as well for your future creations. You'll need it.

Thanks, I never thought I'd never received such a positive feedbacks from you guys.

Progress updated, kindly check the OP.

Alright, second map. I don't really see much to point out, but there's this two that I will.

a) the lamp box to the right of the first lift in the map is walkthroughable while the left one isn't.
b) you can clip through the door you see (the one where you descend the stairs down to the streets). I think this was supposed to be opened instead of that?

there is nice touches and a couple of surprises with monster closets, and I think the buildings are quite well done. GJ.