Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Anyone else liked the original imp better?

Orchid87 said:

I find rocket-propelled doll face with a mouth full of needle teeth genuinely more creepy than a stupid skull with horns.

That might work if it's trying to be a horror game but it's not. Not a single one of the demons from the Classic Doom has an air of true horror, they're all more silly than intimidating.

The whole point of Doom is to be a power trip, not to try to be Silent Hill. It's an action first person shooter, not a survival horror. PT was a great demo but, if they tried to shoehorn it into Doom, it would fall flat. How does such a horror themed sight fit with Doom? If anything, Doom 3 was harmed by trying too hard to be a horror game while also trying to be a first person shooter.

the Doom 3 imp is my favorite design, followed by the Doom 2016 imp and then the classic Imp.

Next thread will be "Door sound in Classic Doom is better than Doom 4 cause Nostalgia"

Orchid87 said:

I find rocket-propelled doll face with a mouth full of needle teeth genuinely more creepy than a stupid skull with horns.

I find the exact opposite to be true. Rocket-powered anything tends to look really stupid, especially if it's just a head with oversized teeth.

Orchid87 said:

Wasn't creepy at all, But it was sure ugly.

Orchid87 said:

Meh. I never found it creepy or scary. Just plain weird. But how its introduction with the head ripping off from some terrified lady (and with the spinal cord too IIRC), was pretty creepy.

Also, its "skull with horns and on fire" and not "skull with horns" :P

jazzmaster9 said:

Next thread will be "Door sound in Classic Doom is better than Doom 4 cause Nostalgia"

Weren't the original Doom door sounds in Doom 4 at some point?

hardcore_gamer said:

Weren't the original Doom door sounds in Doom 4 at some point?

It is still used on certain doors in the Foundry level.

The problem I have with the monster designs in DOOM4 is that the style is very inconsistent. On one hand there's Hellknight which is pretty much the most realistic and gruesome enemy in the game (also some of the Possessed). There are faithful recreations that also manage to look reasonably serious (Cacodemon, Revenant). But then there are faithful recreations that are very cartoony (Pinky, Mastermind, Lost Soul). On top of that there are Mancubi that are straight out of XCOM. And Hell Guards that would fit swiftly within the WarCraft universe. The art direction is just all over the place. Sometimes (Pinky, Mastermind) it seems like the team was too afraid the fanbase would be outraged if the changes happened to be too severe.

Suffice to say, they should re-think that for the sequel. I don't believe they can't come up with something better. I mean, there are fan arts for Mancubi that are miles better than what we've got in DOOM4. The DOOM3 Arachnotron concept art is far superior to the Mastermind. An updated Pinky from DOOM3 should DEFINITIVELY make a comeback.

Sometimes I like the Pinky, sometimes I don't.

The design seems to be a bit overworked. It's a bit too chunky.

To me it's the only enemy that really bothers me in terms of its design. It looks like it's from a different game. I mean, cycle through the character models and it's easy to see that something's off there.

How much you want to bet those antlers were made specifically for the glory kill? Like his horns were perfectly designed for Doom Slayer to slice his own head off with it.

Aside from the Melee Zombies and the Imps, i really loved Doom 2016's monster design and hope they dont change them for the sequel.

DooM_RO said:

The Cyberdemon on the other hand? I can't stand those weird moose antlers.

They've really screwed it up in the end. When I saw him for the first time in the CGI trailer I loved the way it looked and honestly, I think its head and horns are fine. But the overall design and the way it moves is just hilarious and not in a good way. It looks like a toy. I think that maybe partially its because they wanted him to move fast but he's really big and it looks weird. The entire proportions are very chubby too. I guess I admit my defeat on that front (because I used to defend him).

..just simply impossible to please those people..now they're comparing new agile, cool shooting fireball imps with how cool those stupid dumb limited techs dump imps were back then.

Linheli said:

..just simply impossible to please those people..now they're comparing new agile, cool shooting fireball imps with how cool those stupid dumb limited techs dump imps were back then.

It doesn't look like the 90s version = sucks
Pretty much that.

Touchdown said:

The problem I have with the monster designs in DOOM4 is that the style is very inconsistent. On one hand there's Hellknight which is pretty much the most realistic and gruesome enemy in the game (also some of the Possessed). There are faithful recreations that also manage to look reasonably serious (Cacodemon, Revenant). But then there are faithful recreations that are very cartoony (Pinky, Mastermind, Lost Soul). On top of that there are Mancubi that are straight out of XCOM. And Hell Guards that would fit swiftly within the WarCraft universe. The art direction is just all over the place. Sometimes (Pinky, Mastermind) it seems like the team was too afraid the fanbase would be outraged if the changes happened to be too severe.

Suffice to say, they should re-think that for the sequel. I don't believe they can't come up with something better. I mean, there are fan arts for Mancubi that are miles better than what we've got in DOOM4. The DOOM3 Arachnotron concept art is far superior to the Mastermind. An updated Pinky from DOOM3 should DEFINITIVELY make a comeback.

How can you say all that and not a single mention of the retard cybermoose?

Touchdown said:

On one hand there's Hellknight which is pretty much the most realistic and gruesome enemy in the game (also some of the Possessed). There are faithful recreations that also manage to look reasonably serious (Cacodemon, Revenant).

The Hell Knight is very faithful too: to its Doom 3 incarnation.

Better than having just a pale version of the Baron!

BluePineapple72 said:

Doom 3s pinky was just an uncut penis wth legs

Just because it was a penis doesn't mean it was ugly, Oh wait...

I don't prefer the D3 pinky but I think it was more mature in its design. D16's is a touch too cartoony, but also more true to the original.

I also prefer the Doom 2016 design and I don't get what's supposed to be so juvenile about it.

It's not like it's neon pink, most of it looks like bloodied tissue. Just because it's vibrant, that doesn't mean it's cartoony. Case in point:

Yeah, like the cyberdemon, the 2016 pinky has big, bulbous features. Compare the imp, who seems more believable as an actual living entity. The pinky's original design has the human elements of arms and legs, but that giant head is just nuts. Doom 3 tried to make it seem more animal-like, but the head was a bit disappointing. With the 2016 design they maybe drew a bit too much inspiration from the original. I love it, I really do, but I almost would have liked to have seen a version with more realistic proportion, that perhaps resembled a rhino.

Take a look at ants, their heads are pretty big too. Perhaps it was intentionally made bigger to account for having extra jaw muscles to allow it to better chew through its prey.

Yeah but this thing is not at ant. Anatomy is different depending on the scale. He's just too big and bulky, it appears cartoonish. It's a fantastic design, but compared to some of the other baddies, he's a touch over the top. But then again that's the damn point.

I think over the top was their goal for the entire game. Hugo mentioned the gore nest, how the animator originally went for realistic bleeding, but he insisted on a geyser of blood.

If only it was over the top and dangerous/evil instead of cartoony. I mean the new Pinky almost trips over himself (sometimes literally) and the sounds he makes are FAR less threatening than even the ones from its 93 iteration. When you compare it to the original, D3 version or Fiend from Quake, the new Pinky is a joke, both in terms of visuals, animations and sounds.