Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Anyone else liked the original imp better?

I mean, the thing LOOKS like it's something that'd trip all over itself, all while running wild and recklessly. It doesn't seem like something you'd want to be around even if it wasn't pissed off at you, just because it's the embodiment of chaotic fury and nothing in the same area as it is safe.

Especially when you consider how small its horns are. You're not going get gored by this thing, no, it's just that its giant, gaping maw will catch your with its plethora of teeth and tear a chunk out of you just from running too close.

I rather like the new design of the Pinky; I actually liked every single design of the Pinky (Original, 64, 3, and 2016)
The only thing I didn't like was how rare they were in 2016 and how easy they were to defeat. Side step easily avoided attack, shoot up close once or twice, do it again for the second one (because they go by the Quake 2 rule of spawning in pairs) and then not see another one for 30 minutes.

They're not easy to kill when one of them is a spectre and both are charging at you at once, WHILE other baddies are coming after you!

Everybody complains about the Cyber's horns but I do find it interesting that they're apparently not his original horns. In Hell on some of the doors, much like in the original Doom texture, there's a cyberdemon skull at the top of a pile of other skulls, and this cyberdemon skull has different looking, more ordinarily demonic horns rather than the "antlers" evident on the living one. I think this is telling us that his were damaged and grew back strangely.

Touchdown said:

If only it was over the top and dangerous/evil instead of cartoony. I mean the new Pinky almost trips over himself (sometimes literally) and the sounds he makes are FAR less threatening than even the ones from its 93 iteration. When you compare it to the original, the new Pinky is a joke, both in terms of visuals, animations and sounds.

I can see the Nostlagia Glasses glaring from a mile away.
Lets be honest There is no WAY stock animal grunt noises sound better than sounds made specifically for the Monster.

The Doom 2016 Demon's design is very similar to it's Doom 93 design.
And if they actually changed the design, people would be like "oh not as good as the original/Uninspired"

New Doom drops massive turds on the original in every way.

There, I said it.

jazzmaster9 said:

I can see the Nostlagia Glasses glaring from a mile away.
Lets be honest There is no WAY stock animal grunt noises sound better than sounds made specifically for the Monster.

Oh come on, you're not gonna tell me that this pathetic pig squeal they've got in DOOM4 is anywhere near as threatening as the previous Pinky variations were at the time.

Touchdown said:

Oh come on, you're not gonna tell me that this pathetic pig squeal they've got in DOOM4 is anywhere near as threatening as the previous Pinky variations were at the time.

* Removes Nostalgia Glasses*
Yes i do. Im not saying the Doom 2016 sounds absolutly horifiying. But its a more intidating than snorting.
Doom 3 is growls sends shivers down my spine, but that sound effect would not fit the new Demon.

wheresthebeef said:

I rather like the new design of the Pinky; I actually liked every single design of the Pinky (Original, 64, 3, and 2016)
The only thing I didn't like was how rare they were in 2016 and how easy they were to defeat. Side step easily avoided attack, shoot up close once or twice, do it again for the second one (because they go by the Quake 2 rule of spawning in pairs) and then not see another one for 30 minutes.

Do you play on NM? They are easy alone, but if you're in a hairy situation and don't see one charging your back ... lights out.

Pinkies are easy on any difficulty.
If there's too many enemies, simply setup a remote detonated rocket right behind them, do it again, they are staggered for a glory kill. With those detonated rockets (especially if you upgrade it enough) there's a chance it will splash damage nearby enemies too.
They are as trivial as Barons are when you have BFG ammo.

Sig said:

New Doom drops massive turds on the original in every way.

There, I said it.

The hell maps in 2016 are too linear, that's pretty much my only complaint.

GoatLord said:

They're not easy to kill when one of them is a spectre and both are charging at you at once, WHILE other baddies are coming after you!

Spectres doesn't have armored carapaces protecting their faces, though, so you can easily tear it apart with a Siege Mode blast.

Quasar said:

Everybody complains about the Cyber's horns but I do find it interesting that they're apparently not his original horns. In Hell on some of the doors, much like in the original Doom texture, there's a cyberdemon skull at the top of a pile of other skulls, and this cyberdemon skull has different looking, more ordinarily demonic horns rather than the "antlers" evident on the living one. I think this is telling us that his were damaged and grew back strangely.

I still kinda think he might have been designed that way specifically for his glory kill. The "antlers" are like bladed discs, which Doom Slayer perfectly utilized.

I'm less bothered by the horns and more by the its cartoonish proportions. There's a certain toon style that places emphasis on really big arms and legs that get wider as they lengthen. Kind of like Megaman or Astroboy. This sort of design choice doesn't work with Doom '16, where enemies such as the imp are among the best designs because they feel more plausible as actual living creatures.

TAPETRVE said:

The original '90s Imp with its spike nipples works well enough in ye olde pixelated VGA glory, but in HD it would look just plain moronic.

It looks great to me:

In fact, if s13n1's models are any indication, all original monster designs can look good in high polygon 3d.

Here's the thing. The original Doom had pixelated graphics that left nothing to the imagination. They weren't going for realism per say, they were going for whatever worked with the limitations of sprites at the time. Doom II RPG seems to be the closest interpretation to an HD Imp but even it looks a little silly.

Word. Super Mario is precisely what this makes me think of.

I guess if they had tried to modernise the old, lumbering Imps, the result would probably look like naked and spiky versions of the Locust drones from Gears of War. Hell, the Call of Doom version looked like a Chimera goon from the Resistance series, which is oddly befitting, because Doom 4.0 as a whole looked like fucking Resistance.

The design of Doom 2016 seems like they were trying to have a grittier more grotesque style similar to Doom 3 (Many things like the Plasma Rifle and Hell Knight are straight up lifted from Doom 3) but with the over the top action of Classic Doom. I think it works well, it shouldn't continue to look cartoony if they have the power to make it not look cartoony. Back then, they kind of had no choice because limited color palettes. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they went away from the muted color scheme in the original trailers but there's a balance to be had here.

So anything that is not generic realistic stuff from a forgettable science-fiction shooter from mid-2000s/early 2010s reminds you of a Mario game? You and I must not have been playing the same Mario games...

One thing I will say about it is that, due to the lack of texturing, it looks like the Imp's an inflated balloon rather than a flesh and blood creature. Doesn't help that the gloss is a bit too high for what's supposed to be skin.

Honestly, now that I've thought of it, I can't help but see the '93 imp as an intentionally over-detailed character in something cutesy. Even the Doom 2 RPG graphics looks like it'd fit a gag for that, where they'd appear in a different art style with harder shadows to make them appear more menacing ( and then probably proceed to be effortlessly trounced as a gag ).

It is still a render, but it would work well in a modern-day remake that would ditch the boring, uber generic realistic style of Doom 2016 in favour of something more visually striking and unapologetically cartoony like Team Fortress 2.