Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Mappers who also make their own textures

I thought I was a special snowflake because I dont use any textures from other sources. Most wads ive played feature many textures I feel like ive seen before, and it seems pretty common for people to snag resource packs and simply rip everything they like. So Ive always been kinda predisposed to assume that well known mappers dont make their own resources, they just use the stuff so they can make good maps. This has always kinda bugged me considering how easy it is to make textures these days anyway

Apparently, however, I've found out that many mappers do in fact make most of the textures they use in their maps. Though I'm not sure who all these people are.

Care to out yourselves? Or can anyone confirm some good mappers that also make their own resources?

Shamus Young made all Doom City graphics by himself and composed a unique midi for all of his levels except one.
rf (Mapgame, Notebook, some 1024 megawad but I can't remember the name) draws everything by himself and does an excellent job.
Thomas van der Velden
Scientist, IIRC
Paul Zarczynski with his Stomper

jmickle66666666 is a one-woman resource machine who's returning to wreak standards in the Doom community with quality textures and musics. There's eight sixes.

I dunno. Feels like it'd be better for the community as a whole if these programs that can whip up high-quality textures in a flash without any required knowledge of color theory, palette restraints, how certain materials look at low resolution, limiting noise, maintaining stylistic consistency, tiling, and just what looks good were outed, especially if they can create stuff that you don't yet know you'll use.

I mean, it doesn't really seem that impressive to use only textures they've made when it's apparently something anyone can do with the right tools.

I make custom textures and sprites using pixlr. I don't mind that there are easy to use programs that whip up textures, but I will always admire the efforts of those who draw from scratch more. It's an impressive (and time consuming) effort, and certainly not an easy one.

It's the same with Slige: sure, anyone can use it to make maps, but they will not be as intricate or admired as maps drawn by hand.

ya i tend to spend more time making textures and music for my maps than actually making the maps. also STBAR graphics etc.

also hey i wrote two small tutorials on how i make textures btw:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing-tutorials/84866-creating-a-metal-panel-crate-door-thing-from-semi-scratch/
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing-tutorials/84940-creating-shawn-texture-and-stuff/

I make lots of edits and recolors, but have 0 artistic ability. Guess I'm doomed to always be a mapping normie.

I've made a few textures that I'd consider passable in a usability sense. But most of them are in Supplice (and most of those have been improved by Cage). I guess if sky textures count, then yea :P

Out myself...that's diffic- OH
Well I do make textures...but rarely do I get motivation to use or map with so...I'm happier for others to find use out of them!

I mostly have always made my own resources. Editing a stock texture in Photoshop is usually quicker than finding the variant you want in a texture pack, extracting, adding to your resource pack ect.

In my UnrealEd days, I use to at least have 10 - 20% self-made textures. Skybox textures I always made myself using Terragen. And in 1 map I went so far to make all textures myself. Going outside with my camera taking pictures of anything useful I could find, then converting them, making them seamless textures.

I've noticed many Doom mappers have used EvilLair textures but never credit him in their readme's. Not sure if they are not aware of this or if someone else is taking credit for it.

Usually in my more ambitious mods (which I don't really have time to complete) I prefer to make my own variations of already existing resources: Doom textures or photos (usually taken by me). I admit I've also imported Doom alpha textures and a few (but very limited) "useful textures" by NiGHTMARE.

Does Tormentor667 make his own textures? I vaguely recall some old drama about how his mapping wouldn't be so good if he didn't shamelessly rip a ton of brown quakey stuff from a bunch of different sources, but looking at some of his work, especially with all the graphic editing and stuff he does for his own site, I find it hard to believe that he didn't just make his own stuff when he needed it?

Also Ancient Aliens seems to have a bunch of textures prefixed with SAW in the patch lumps. Many of the other textures have the creator or game abbreviated in the first few characters of the lumps. Are those skillsaw originals?

Tarnsman submitted a map to Mutiny that came packaged with some new edits and recolors of textures I had already made, but I can't deduce from his other maps if he had made any of those textures used in the wad.

Did Kaiser make any of the wall textures used in CIF? I recognize most of the graphics are from PO'd and Dark forces if I remember correctly

Did Erik Alm make those METAL textures that say SCYTHE 2 on them? Does the text file have any graphic artists that were officially credited for that?

TheGreenHerring posted screenshots before of "Your not supposed to be here!" Signs he uses in his maps. How many of the other textures in his maps are his work?

I recognize a lot of Dark Forces and HR Giger stuff in Lupinx-Kassman's stuff in his map for Community Chest, but also a lot of other stuff I dont recognize from anywhere else, though ive seen his squiggle-vision screenshots so he must do his own textures.

Did Vader make the textures in Doom Rebirth?

Torm has designed websites and graphics so he has definitely made custom textures before, not all of them from the ground up, but he has made edits to existing ones.

Vader definitely made the new textures in Rebirth. They have his signature smooth style.

skillsaw is nothing if not an artist so I don't doubt he did his own textures and edits where they were necessary.

Custom textures are pretty much a staple of Tarnsman's style, due to his use of 36 and 72-wide lines for bordering which he creates his own textures for in order to make the seams meet. A lot of textures in the final map of Square are his doing.

Kristus immediately springs to mind with his work on Phobia, Nimrod and the Curse Heretic/HeXen series.

Ola "Ukiro" Bjorling is a mapper & texture artists extraordinaire. What of his that is uploaded where and under what name, I have no idea, but he's been around for a long time and is still cooking up stuff.

I make a lot of individual textures which can be used in conjunction with pre-existing resources; I like making textures for one-off use, be it for just one wall in an entire wad, or for just a single level.

You'll probably find a few of the 'texturers' of the community posting here.

Combinebobnt said:

i like to make the color purple nobody uses it except ribbiks once

You forgot AD_79?

Bob Reganess made a bunch of extra stuff for his maps (various textures, sprites, sounds, music). See aboo4, aboo5th, aboocean, aboojail, aboosysv.

I'm kinda surprised nobody has mentioned a super loud member of this community yet...

Soundblock said:

Ola "Ukiro" Bjorling is a mapper & texture artists extraordinaire. What of his that is uploaded where and under what name, I have no idea, but he's been around for a long time and is still cooking up stuff.

Thanks Sverre =)

I am horribly unproductive. Most people saw my work in Darkening episode 2 some 15+ years ago but the textures there are really not very good. I used dithering, for one.

I'm working on a major texture set now, on and off as a therapeutic hobby more than anything, and Sverre is one of the few people that have access. You might also have seen screenshots from Afterglow using some of the older textures in this set.

I'll throw in some teasers:

I'm working entirely in the default palette. Current texture WAD is 13MB, all pretty much in this quality, mostly medieval etc but tech stuff is coming along. I'm also making maps with these textures but whether anything ever gets done/released is quite uncertain.

Fantastic textures. I especially like the wooden door with the satanic symbol - it's clear you take your time when making your textures and honestly care about the result. Great work!

I've got more properly satanic stuff too. This is from one of the marble sets (I always wanted a darker green marble so I made one):

(circles are not round here due to DOOMs pixel aspect ratio. They're perfectly round in-game.)

It's great to see you take care about the aspect ratio, but I find that 'incorrect' graphics still look good in game - would you mind providing a quick in-game shot of your circular texture? Just curious to see the difference!