Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PizzaGuy

DOOM 2016 at AGDQ 2017

A few things I've noticed

They bumped Quake all the way to the first day of the event, which is weird since it usually shows up during the classic FPS block in the middle of the week.

Which lead me to noticing how there's no classic FPS block for this year's AGDQ. And DOOM will only show up once during the entire event.

With that being said, if you guys have not seen a DOOM 2016 speedrun, you're in for a treat. It is your choice if you want to be spoiled or not, but if you want to look up on YouTube what a DOOM 2016 speedrun looks like, just be wary that it might actually ruin a few parts of the single-player mode.

IMX said:

Which lead me to noticing how there's no classic FPS block for this year's AGDQ. And DOOM will only show up once during the entire event.

Dime submitted a classic Doom run but it was unceremoniously rejected >_>

IMX said:

A few things I've noticed

They bumped Quake all the way to the first day of the event, which is weird since it usually shows up during the classic FPS block in the middle of the week.

With that being said, if you guys have not seen a DOOM 2016 speedrun, you're in for a treat. It is your choice if you want to be spoiled or not, but if you want to look up on YouTube what a DOOM 2016 speedrun looks like, just be wary that it might actually ruin a few parts of the single-player mode.

I've never seen DOOM 2016 speedrun so I'm gonna wait for AGDQ , I'm intrigued though because unlike classic doom where you can just leg it past enemies in DOOM 2016 you cant do that.
I'm also interested as to what difficulty it will be played on.

Why rejected, were Doom runs unpopular among the viewers? Not really sure how they choose the games.

Memfis said:

Why rejected, were Doom runs unpopular among the viewers? Not really sure how they choose the games.

Probably because classic Doom has been at almost every event and they wanted some different things on the schedule this time. They've stated in the past that such repeat games are lower on the priority when it comes to picks. Also it was a mod and not the game itself that was submitted, so that could have been a factor in the decision if they thought this is less popular for some reason (I am not sure how the viewership stacked up for SGDQ's run; I thought it was great of course ;)

Ooh, gotta tune in for this one for sure!

Gonna be a late night for me, but I care little about losing a few hours of sleep.

bedbug182 said:

I'm also interested as to what difficulty it will be played on.

Ultra Nightmare, BloodThunder had the fastest time for awhile did he not? Dude's got skill, that's for sure. I'll have to watch this.

its gonna be a late night for sure , I'm hoping to see it live. if not , I'm sure i can count on one of you lovely folks to upload it on here.

I bet you doom 2016 will be played on easy, and most likely im finished with live runs at gdq's. Doubt I could top my plutonia run therefore I am satisfied with what I have done in terms of speedrun marathons. Im thinking of attending quakecon instead this year.

Kinda ridiculous how speed running has "evolved" that run was silly, just floating through voids and bouncing off of weird physics glitches.

There really needs to be a distinction made between "fastest possible way to beat the game through exploits that aren't particularly interesting to watch" and "fastest possible way to beat the game and remain entertaining while showcasing actual gaming skill."

In that case, what would classify as exploiting?

Quake was originally made without knowing about rocket jumping; does anyone that uses rocket jumping in a run exploiting?
Things like clipping through the world to skip parts of the level I agree should be separated, but there's a fine line between what counts as an exploit or not.

Either way is better than tool assisted runs, however.

GoatLord said:

There really needs to be a distinction made between "fastest possible way to beat the game through exploits that aren't particularly interesting to watch" and "fastest possible way to beat the game and remain entertaining while showcasing actual gaming skill."

???

Also, those are almost always mutually inclusive when talking about glitch runs, outside of games that are just broken. It takes a lot of skill to pull off what these guys do, and what's interesting to some ( like you ) can be really fascinating to others. I love watching glitch runs.

I personally felt robbed when Quakecon never got their shit together to broadcast the speedrun by DraQu in front of the very developers.

People said there were tons of laughs and awkwardness.