Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caffeine Freak

First trailer debuts for 'Alien: Covenant'

mistercow said:

looks like shit. Legit lost it when I saw that it was gonna have a shower sex scene murder. At least those old promothesis trailers looked good

That shower scene made me sad. I like cheesy slasher movies. But this is Alien, by Ridley Scott.

I heard that song, and I didn't like it very much. I would have prefered something similar to Jerry Goldsmith's score. Nevertheless, I didn't let that bother me; it did sound somewhat blade runner-esqe. But I guess I was most put off for the trailer's lack of subtlety. Its fine to have the gore and action in the film. Alien is a visceral movie. I just hope it isn't like AVP: Requiem or Aliens: Resurrection, with retarded and unrealistic overly stylized action scenes.

I will still see the movie. I hope that trailer is not too representative of the film. I was expecting something a little more tasteful. I hope the trailer was cut just to draw in a larger crowd.

rehelekretep said:

not impressed.

it essentially looks like a cross between Prometheus and a remake of Alien.

hopefully its better than that!

Prometheus was a lot closer to the feel of Alien, than this trailer imo. This looked more like AVP: Requiem.

Kontra Kommando said:

Prometheus was a lot closer to the feel of Alien, than this trailer imo. This looked more like AVP: Requiem.

Disagree. Requiem was a popcorn gore flick with disposable characters and none of the masterful cinematography that you see here. Granted, these characters may turn out to be disposable as well, but from the trailer, it looks as though Scott intends to do a certain degree of character development before launching into the action, much as he did with the original film.

I'll grant that a shower sex murder scene isn't the first thing that comes to my mind when thinking of the Alien franchise, but it can still work if handled correctly. It doesn't become a slasher film because of a shower sex murder scene, it becomes a slasher film when it has a shower sex murder scene featuring characters that they've done nothing to to make us care about.

Caffeine Freak said:

Disagree. Requiem was a popcorn gore flick with disposable characters and none of the masterful cinematography that you see here. Granted, these characters may turn out to be disposable as well, but from the trailer, it looks as though Scott intends to do a certain degree of character development before launching into the action, much as he did with the original film.

I'll grant that a shower sex murder scene isn't the first thing that comes to my mind when thinking of the Alien franchise, but it can still work if handled correctly. It doesn't become a slasher film because of a shower sex murder scene, it becomes a slasher film when it has a shower sex murder scene featuring characters that they've done nothing to to make us care about.

I watched the trailer four times now, and I think it may be just that I felt it gave away too much. Similar to the Terminator: Genisys Trailer. Now we know at least 3 people will die, and the ship will explode. I've been following the movie on facebook, and I thought they did a great job, by just posting ominous stills of the set, with some series of numbers as the description. I hope the movie is good.

Edit: I think Danny McBride could be an interesting character, when you think about other characters played by Paul Reiser, Bill Paxton, and Harry Dean Stanton.

I will enjoy the movie much more without seeing the trailer to have all the surprises ruined out of context.

I dunno what to think. When I hear a forgettable modern pop song instead of Jerry Goldsmith, when a shower sex scene is teased as though it's supposed to be provocative, when the color scheme is the same desaturated palette we see 10,000 times before, when I find myself thinking that nothing can live up to the iconic scenes from the first two films, when I reflect on how Prometheus was tainted by terrible character writing, it's hard to be anything other than pessimistic.

At the same time, Ridley really showed a lot of strength with "The Martian" and "Covenant" is ignoring the third and fourth films. I don't know how many times we have to keep rehashing the perfection of Scott and Cameron's work, but I'm still very curious.

Thought it looked pretty much like Prometheus from the general atmosphere and style in the trailer, but with chest(well 'back' I guess)bursters, Aliens and Facehuggers in it this time instead of giant body hugging squids, lamprey thingies and engineers.

Which isn't a bad thing. I love Prometheus. I love Alien(s).

So there's a good chance I'll love this movie.

Gamer With Dignity said:

Who are you, the Catholic church?

A sex shower scene on a movie like this, means it's going to be shit. There is nothing wrong to have a Sex Shower scene in a movie like Friday the 13th or another movie that focus on a Killer chasing horny teenagers....
But in this type of horror?? Is out of context

Kontra Kommando said:

I watched the trailer four times now, and I think it may be just that I felt it gave away too much. Similar to the Terminator: Genisys Trailer. Now we know at least 3 people will die, and the ship will explode. I've been following the movie on facebook, and I thought they did a great job, by just posting ominous stills of the set, with some series of numbers as the description. I hope the movie is good.

Edit: I think Danny McBride could be an interesting character, when you think about other characters played by Paul Reiser, Bill Paxton, and Harry Dean Stanton.

I think it's a mistake these days to presume everything you see in the trailer is definitely going to be in the film.

Look at the Rogue One trailer: barely any of that actually made it into the film.

Many studios are getting into the habit of producing footage for trailers that don't actually appear in the film.

Gamer With Dignity said:

Who are you, the Catholic church?

Yes, because everyone who doesn't like awkward sexual shower deaths is a Catholic.

I'll probably give it a chance. Nothing can be worse than A:R and AVP Requiem, I imagine.

Scott seems to be reviving his old films.

GoatLord said:

and "Covenant" is ignoring the third and fourth films.

Huh? When the hell is this movie supposed to take place? Alien 3 takes place a century or so after prometheus, and resurrection 200 years after 3.

Also the shower scene is totally lame but it's probably supposed to be a wink and nod to how lambert died in alien...I believe they call that fan service.

Quast said:

Also the shower scene is totally lame but it's probably supposed to be a wink and nod to how lambert died in alien...I believe they call that fan service.

...How is a shower scene and Lambert's death in any way comparable?

Mr. Freeze said:

WHAT!!! Can't you see the connection!!! Lambert was killed while being afraid to even move, so it's the same thing!!!

This type of scenes are only good for a few things. One of them is luring horny kids...

Mr. Freeze said:

I believe a few sources mentioned that, due to how it was shot, Lambert was seemingly raped to death by the alien, given where its tail was going as it took out Parker.

Quast said:

Huh? When the hell is this movie supposed to take place? Alien 3 takes place a century or so after prometheus, and resurrection 200 years after 3.

Its supposed to be a midpoint between Prometheus and the first Alien.
It looks ok but im more looking forward to the new Blade Runner honestly

Clonehunter said:

I believe a few sources mentioned that, due to how it was shot, Lambert was seemingly raped to death by the alien, given where its tail was going as it took out Parker.

It's a long long shot. They can it's a homage to lambert death... but it was a good excuse to show some gratuitous nudity to appeal younger viewers.