Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

DOOM vs Doom

Doom is a name, so it is of course capitalized.

Doom is not an acronym nor an initialism, so it is not in all caps. It is not the Death Of Other Monsters, or anything of the sort.

Doom, not DOOM.

And it's certainly not 'DooM'. I don't know how in the world someone got that name from what's on the box. Also, Heretic, Hexen, and Quake are all capital letters, but do we call them HERETIC, HEXEN, and QUAKE?

Well, I guess people will continue writing "DooM" or "DOOM", just because the logo prolly is an invitation to those interpretations. It just looks like "DooM" and indeed it is written all in capitals. Well, I don´t really care, as long as nobody tells me: "You play Doom? What are you talking about, the game is not released yet, it will come out somewhere in 2003!"
Really, that happened to me just last week when I was on my way home and got into a talk with some freshmeat.

The reason why the 'D' and 'M' are larger than the 'O's are because they are slanted at the bottom, giving the illusion that they are capital letters and the 'O's lower case.

RailGunner said:

your right. why do people call it DOOM? it's Doom. Like YOUR doom.

WELL railgunner, SOMETIMES people LIKE you are inconsisant WITH the WAY they USE CAPS.

that's not an insult, it's a fact =)

Peter Heinemann said:

Well, I guess people will continue writing "DooM" or "DOOM", just because the logo prolly is an invitation to those interpretations. It just looks like "DooM" and indeed it is written all in capitals. Well, I don´t really care, as long as nobody tells me: "You play Doom? What are you talking about, the game is not released yet, it will come out somewhere in 2003!"
Really, that happened to me just last week when I was on my way home and got into a talk with some freshmeat.

Heh, some kid at school was all like, "WTF dude, you're soooo oldschool" when I talked about how much Doom owns Max Payne. It's funny how they used it like it was an insult =)

Well the Merriam-Webster on-line dictionary doesn't seem to think so...

However, this is an incubus:

Main Entry: in·cu·bus
Pronunciation: 'i[ng]-ky&-b&s, 'in-
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural in·cu·bi /-"bI, -"bE/; also -bus·es
Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin, from Latin incubare
Date: 13th century
1 : an evil spirit that lies on persons in their sleep; especially : one that has sexual intercourse with women while they are sleeping -- compare SUCCUBUS
2 : NIGHTMARE 2
3 : one that oppresses or burdens like a nightmare

So perhaps it's a mix between "Man" (cause the Mancubus slightly resembles a man) and "incubus."

Well, let's assume it is a real word for a second. In which case, we would need to use the basic spelling rules.

Radius - Radii
Focus - Foci
Stadium - Stadia

So it would be Mancubi. However, since it's just a word that someone from id thought up one day, then we can spell it however the (insert colorful metaphor here) we want.

I say Mancubuses, heheh.

3 : one that oppresses or burdens like a nightmare

WTF? I don't oppress or burden anybody ;)

Yay.

I've actually thought about this, and if anyone checks my posts they'll notice they go by these "rules"...

For me it's all caps when you're talking about the game in general. Why? Mainly cause it's a trademark, but also because it's how id Software spells it, and it also recalls the logo. So it's DOOM, DOOM II, Final DOOM, and Ultimate DOOM (or The Ultimate...). You can of course use Doom or doom if all caps is a probelm or looks bad in the situation, but that's an exception.

Engine names, to distinguish them from the game, should go in lower case, with caps at the beginning of a sentence. So if I say "doom2" I mean doom2.exe. On the same grounds, I will also say "zdoom," not Zdoom, ZDooM or ZDOOM.

Notice how it helps in regards to clarity, and it acknowledges id's rights over the game. It may seem trivial, but I think it makes sense.

I think Romero said Mancubi. There was a quote on Doomworld of his response to an email once.

Archvile64 said:

Next debate:

Mancubuses or Mancubi...?

:P

bah, what's the point of arguing when lut's not here?

I use Doom for the most part, and sometimes I use DOOM. DooM is just ridiculous.

And yeah, Romero said it's "Mancubi".

Didn't we already have this discusion? I really don't even care how you type it, it's alweys going to be doom, even if it's typed DooM, DOOM, doom, DoOm or dOoM.

I always type it as "Doom".

Anything, this debate is getting really nitpicky now, and people are debating over semantics really :p

It's Doom. As with any name, the first letter is capitalised.

DOOM. Unless you use in the context of some exclamation, there is no excuse for using capitals for the whole word.

DooM - looks nice the first few, but has nothing else going for it and is extremely irritating.

Ichor said:

Well, let's assume it is a real word for a second. In which case, we would need to use the basic spelling rules.

Radius - Radii
Focus - Foci
Stadium - Stadia

So it would be Mancubi. However, since it's just a word that someone from id thought up one day, then we can spell it however the (insert colorful metaphor here) we want.

I say Mancubuses, heheh.

Well, I say 'fat gits' (beat that, hehehe)

Anyone else got any silly nicknames for monsters (like 'tomatoes' for cacos and 'spiders' for arachnotrons)

And I spell it 'DooM' as well....it just looks right to me.

This is, what, the 50th time the Mancubuses/Mancubi thing has been mentioned? Someone should add that to one of the Doom faq's or something... :P

I usually write 'DooM'.
The 'D' and the 'M' are a little bit longer than the 2 'o''s, so there you go.. The way I write it reminds me of the logo's from MetallicA and PanterA.

Does it really matter what you people think about how DOOM is spelled? Anyway, adding to what I already posted... open the DOOM FAQ or any DOOM readme or manual, or id's (yeah, id, not Id or ID) website. You'll notice that if it's ever not spelled "DOOM" it's so that it will look better in a list, heading, or whatever.

And, as probably mentioned by someone sometime in some thread, the termination "-us" in incubus, and thus mancubus, is the ending for many words in latin (in the nominative case). The plural is "-i."

Semantics? Heh. call it what you want, but it's still more entertaining and informative than discussions about how "realistic" this or that feature in DOOM is or about how many linedefs some chap's latest map has.

Oh, and the mancubus is fat, so I doubt it gets laid as much as the incubus. Just a thought.