Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sick Bow

Let's hear your monster ideas

There's been some topics on this subject here before, but all the ones I could find were pretty old, derailed, or didn't go anywhere. I want to see what your monster design ideas are, whether it's something you think should have been put in the original game, something that would work with a more modern version of Doom, or something you'd like to see in a WAD someday. I'm pretty new to these forums, so if I'm posting incorrectly, or if I should just necro an older thread, let me know please. Doesn't matter if it's been done before, doesn't matter if it's just a modification of an existing enemy. Nothing ridiculous, please, and be as original as possible! Oh, and be sure to give some good descriptions. If you're having trouble coming up with names, don't worry, I do too (obviously). Throwing in some flavor text is very welcome.

To start off, here's a few I've had in mind for some time:

• Former Scientist - Honestly I got the idea from Doom 2016, but why not have melee-only cannon fodder? From a narrative perspective, it makes sense that not everyone would be a marine. From a gameplay one, more stuff to kill is usually a great thing. Toss a bunch of these around a Spider Mastermind or something and you've got some hilarious in-fighting. I'd have them yell a lot less than they do in Doom 2016, because that's annoying as hell, get it?

• Former Pistol Soldier - Same as the Former Soldier, but fires less accurately. Basically exists to give some variety in the early levels. Could also (this has been done in many WADs/mods) be a simple replacement for the original Former Soldiers, seeing as how the rifle is not a weapon the player can use. Rolls/dodges out of the way randomly, considering they're carrying less bulky equipment.

• Service Drone - Formerly a drone that would repair/service equipment around the UAC facility, the forces of Hell have altered and corrupted the programming on the droids, causing them to become suicidal explosive machines. They'd hover around until spotting the player, and would cruise towards them, exploding on contact. Can be prematurely detonated by shooting them, which could damage enemies caught in the blast.

• Former SSerGeant - A Super Shotgun wielding Former Sergeant. Again, gives more variety, and even lets the player get the SSG in a different way. Close range would actually be pretty deadly compared to the Former Sergeant. The ultimate glass cannon. Wears sunglasses to look cool.

• PG Sergeant - Again, shooting for simple variety here. The Plasmagun is basically a player and Arachnotron exclusive weapon in vanilla Doom. They seemed relatively common in the deeper parts of UAC facilities, so it'd make sense that marines would be deployed with them. A non-hitscan soldier type enemy would be an interesting way to make a tech level more varied without adding demonic enemies! Alternatively, the Commando/Chaingun Guy could wield the PG instead. Why not both?

• Flesh Whip - More of an environmental hazard than an "enemy". Think about Half Life's Xen areas. It'd basically be a "tentacle" coming out of the ground or the ceiling (in Hell/Flesh levels) that would whip at players and human enemies if they stray too close. It'd make a really good alternative to placing Nukage or Lava to slow down progression or deny access to an area. Not sure if it should be killable or not, maybe it would retract when damaged, and reveal itself after a short period. Could even be used on tech levels if bursting through the floor/ceiling.

• Securo-Bot - A walking bipedal tank. A weapon to surpass Metal Gear. Not really, but this bad ass is carrying not one, but two chainguns. Formerly an automated security robot, they now present a huge obstacle for the would-be Doomguy. Drops two chainguns on death, but presents a very dangerous enemy being a hitscanner and having the health of a Hell Knight. Explodes on death as well.

• Bile - A disgusting enemy that sort of resembles a Cacodemon, while being flesh colored and lacking a face. Doesn't directly attack the player (similar to the Pain Elemental), but instead rolls on the ground leaving bile bombs on the ground. These fleshy sacks will either explode after a certain amount of time, when damaged, or when coming into contact with the player or other humanoid monsters. They explode roughly around the same size as a Barrel. The Bile releases 2-3 of these bombs when killed.

• Rocket Commando - Basically the Chaingun Guy with a RL. The only time we face rocket-type projectiles is against the Cyberdemon, which is a pretty rare occurrence. While spamming rockets everywhere would be an annoying enemy, having them reload after each shot and have the same health as the Chaingun Guy would balance out well, I think. Would look like Nemesis from RE3, eh?

• Boomer - Think Left 4 Dead, but damaging instead of attracting enemies. Basically, it'd be a Mancubus-type enemy with only melee attacks. When killed, it explodes, harming anything nearby. This could even be a modification made to the Mancubi, making them all explode on death.

• Hell Dog - What it says on the tin. A faster, smaller, weaker Pinky basically that would be more surprising to the player than dangerous.

• Shotgun Spider - I got the idea from the Mastermind having the shotgun sound. Why not have an Arachnotron variant that shoots shotgun/SSG rounds instead of PG rounds, albeit more slowly? A higher tier monster with a ton of health and a short-range hitscan weapon would be terrifying.

• Trite/Tick - If you've played Doom 3, you know what I'm talking about. Just a small spider that has a melee attack, and possibly a variation that explodes sometimes. Admittidley, might not fit very well with Doom I/II.

• Dumb Revenant - Didn't quite finish the Revenant program, but got their GED instead. Doesn't have the lock-on functionality of their smarter bretheren, but instead can fire dumb missiles at twice the rate in a repeating fashion. As I'm writing this, I realized this fills the exact same role as the Mancubus, so maybe they'd try to melee more often?

• Crawler - An Imp variant that crawls on ceilings/walls. Not sure if it's possible to have Things do this (although, Hanging Torsos/Legs kind of can), but having a melee-only monster that can run on the walls/ceiling towards the player would be: surprising, throw off auto-aiming, and allow mappers to design crazy ambushes that utilize Doom's limitations on the vertical axis. This could be annoying if done wrong (very tall ceilings), but I think could find it's place in Doom.

• BFG Cyberdemon - As crazy as it sounds. A big mother fucker with a big mother fucking gun. I'd even leave in the hitscan projectiles the BFG has when the player uses it, causing you to have to use cover when the projectile impacts something. Obviously reserved as a boss/miniboss.

Flesh Whip - More of an environmental hazard than an "enemy". Think about Half Life's Xen areas. It'd basically be a "tentacle" coming out of the ground or the ceiling (in Hell/Flesh levels) that would whip at players and human enemies if they stray too close. It'd make a really good alternative to placing Nukage or Lava to slow down progression or deny access to an area. Not sure if it should be killable or not, maybe it would retract when damaged, and reveal itself after a short period. Could even be used on tech levels if bursting through the floor/ceiling.

Doesn't the Realm667 bestiary already have something like this?

Bile - A disgusting enemy that sort of resembles a Cacodemon, while being flesh colored and lacking a face. Doesn't directly attack the player (similar to the Pain Elemental), but instead rolls on the ground leaving bile bombs on the ground. These fleshy sacks will either explode after a certain amount of time, when damaged, or when coming into contact with the player or other humanoid monsters. They explode roughly around the same size as a Barrel. The Bile releases 2-3 of these bombs when killed.

This sounds quite original, I like it. And I think it can be done by amateurs too, by editing the Cacodemon sprite and modifying it. Is it basically a pink/beige ball of flesh that rolls on the ground, spawning slime bombs? I imagine them rolling in ways perpendicular to your path, to make barriers against you.

printz said:

Doesn't the Realm667 bestiary already have something like this?

Wow, call me an idiot, but I never knew this existed. Thanks! Like half my ideas are on there 0.o

printz said:

Is it basically a pink/beige ball of flesh that rolls on the ground, spawning slime bombs? I imagine them rolling in ways perpendicular to your path, to make barriers against you.

You hit the nail on the head there. Yeah, basically. My describing skills are pretty crap as of lately. But, yes, it would be something that looks like either an early version of the Caco, or something related to it. It would roll around either randomly or perpendicular to the player's facing direction once detecting the player. Every few seconds, a spore or sac would pop out, and it would continue rolling. The "bombs" or "mines" that it lays would basically function as temporary obstacles.

enderandrew said:

I'd be happy if I could just get all the Doom monsters from the PSX, N64, Doom 3, etc. versions in Doom 1/2.

That would actually make for a really awesome WAD, especially if it could just randomly replace an enemy every once in a while. The flaming or fat zombies from D3 would be pretty cool, not to mention the variations from the console Dooms.

I'm too lazy to go looking for it but I do recall an older thread filled with unique monster ideas that members of the community came up with. If someone could kindly link it.

Chezza said:

I'm too lazy to go looking for it but I do recall an older thread filled with unique monster ideas that members of the community came up with. If someone could kindly link it.

weren't there lots of threads like that tho?

A huge worm monster that can only be beaten by allowing the player to be swallowed, from there the player must fight its way to the center, fighting undigested creatures and stuff. At the center, the player is presented with the heart and must continually shoot it until it bursts causing the worm to explode leaving a bloody pulp behind.

Sure its not possible with Doom engine. But its a cool idea.

Doominator2 said:

A huge worm monster that can only be beaten by allowing the player to be swallowed, from there the player must fight its way to the center, fighting undigested creatures and stuff. At the center, the player is presented with the heart and must continually shoot it until it bursts causing the worm to explode leaving a bloody pulp behind.

Technically, it IS possible with some trickery. After the worm does its swallow attack, cut to the next level which is inside its stomach.

MetroidJunkie said:

Technically, it IS possible with some trickery. After the worm does its swallow attack, cut to the next level which is inside its stomach.

I was just about to suggest this. Yep, and that would actually make for a really freaking cool WAD. Multi-level bossfight? Count me in. Maybe even just have stationary enemies for the heart and other organs as well.

Kid Icarus Uprising does something almost the same where Pit is swallowed and the entire next level is in Hades' body and you eventually reach and destroy his heart. Doesn't kill him but, other than that, it's pretty much the same.

Doominator2 said:

So a purple worm where you must get swallowed to destroy it.

Anyways, it's kinda late here (2 AM) but I can't sleep, so I can't think of much. :/

I like swallowing or otherwise engulfing monsters. Maybe I hugged people too much in this life that is very far from ending yet :P

So maybe a small slime, that while it can't deal damage, engulfs your feet, putting you in place, and making you unable to move until you shoot the slime, which can be quite dangerous with certain weapons, but slow with just a fist. :P

EDIT: And maybe, a rather acidic variant, that deals damage periodically until hurt? This one does not needs to be killed to release you though.

And, a leech that attaches to your leg and sucks your blood slightly, slowing you down (no damage dealt I guess?). It will eventually get full and make baby offsprings and die out. Those offsprings will target on other monsters until getting adult (which is reproduced by giving the +FRIENDLY tag and taking it out when adult). A poisonous variant could inflict a short-living poison even after the leech detaches. Both detach when hurt.

In a side note,

Spoiler

I'm now on Lorena, a small city somewhere in São Paulo State. And that's why I can't get my SLADE or something to have those become true Doom II monsters; I'm currently on someone else's notebook, which I only had asked permission for Minecraft (and too lazy to ask for Doom stuff; also fearing it would be rejected).