Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jupiter_ex

Hi. I wanna contribute some original music to Freedoom

jupiter_ex said:

hey, I've been listening somewhat thoroughly to the current music in the game and it's a lot better than I remembered. I made the only full playthroughs of FD quite a couple years ago (stopped playing when I started finding the white empty "coming soon" rooms). Things are much better now. Sorry if I offended anyone offering myself to do new music. All I cared about is for the game to feel good to play and have quality.
Apart from this, is there any tool to unpack the sfx from the game so I can work on it (the shotgun initially. And maybe take a look at a couple more)?

No midis? :( Not all tracks are good or compliant. C2m6 and another map use the same track. FreeDM needs good music too (didn't think about that did you?)

About the sfx: its all there on Github under the sounds folder: https://github.com/freedoom/freedoom/tree/master/sounds

Edit: by compliant I meant the current midis in Freedoom. Some don't work in vanilla doom, meaning they aren't compliant with Freedoom's goals. FreeDM had two tracks that don't even run vanilla Doom (they've replaced fortunately)

ok here's something I made with the shotgun sfx. I'd like to see it as an improvement. I'd like to work on the "plasma rifle" (I know it's not the plasma rifle but I forgot the name) sfx. And maybe in the pistol / minigun later if I have the chance

MIDIs are coming soon, don't worry. I'm not dead yet

EDIT: damn, I didn't see your reply Voros. Did you just submit it? I'm slightly lost with the timestamps. Yes, I was afraid of MIDI non compliance but since nobody mentioned any restraints I didn't worry. For instance, is there by any chance any channel / tracks limitation on what the doom engine can tolerate?

test wad

IMO this is better than the current one. I have loaded Freedoom with this wad, played a level, then played the level without the wad and then played a level in Doom with Doom's shotgun sound. Overall, it is an improvement.

thanks. I felt the original lacked some punch, most specially the cocking sound.

as a disclaimer, I didn't copypaste any shotgun sounds for this. I used a series of metal clacking and clicking in offsets to make the cocking have some thickness and sound like some metals being slid across. Widened a little the shot also, always trying not to make it sound stronger than the double barreled shotgun, so I didn't put to much 'bass' in it.
This is all overlapped over the original sfx so the old shotgun sound is still down there, in the background

Voros said:

...Some don't work in vanilla doom, meaning they aren't compliant with Freedoom's goals. FreeDM had two tracks that don't even run vanilla Doom ...

exactly. You have any info on what is it that makes them not work on vanilla doom? Better I check before submitting than realizing only upon integration

jupiter_ex said:

exactly. You have any info on what is it that makes them not work on vanilla doom? Better I check before submitting than realizing only upon integration

File size really. The engine convert the midi to mus format internally. This lowers the filesize in game. If its around 64 kb in size afterwards, it'll run.

An 80 kb MID file can run in vanilla. A 100 kb MID file didn't run for me, so keep the size around 60-90 kb (most midis are rarely big as 90). I can tell yours will run anyway, judging by the length of each track.

here you go, midis 2 and 3. I'll send you a PM with my info, name, etc for any crediting

https://www.dropbox.com/s/87ahfpjlakz378w/freedoom2.mid?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/71ktaqb9pubqy4n/freedoom3.mid?dl=0

I'll resolve export problems with midi 1 and send it to you

In other news, I'm going to try some work on the plasma rifle shot sfx. To be honest I have a huge array of synthetizers and I could put anything in there since no one knows how a plasma rifle or a polaric energy cannon sounds like.
Anyway, unless told otherwise I'll only work on improving what's already there. If anyone has a different idea for what the cannon would sound like (pew pew pew, wham wham wham, floosh floosh floosh) let me know, or show me any example sounds.

I'll try to add also a little tail to the sound, as for it only sounding on the last shot, and hence act as a sort of a 'weapon cool down' effect. I'll try to do that

EDIT: I've noticed freedom3.mid somehow has a problem with looping apparently, though the midi notes seem to be okay. Let me know if that's actually happening or it is a problem of my midi player cutting the ends a little

If that's true, make the bfg sound the main priority. Its atrocious if you ask me. Your shotgun sound could use some oomph in the firing part of the sound, the cock is fine though.

that's exactly what I've just noticed actually playing with your custom wad. The shooting part doesn't sound as strong as when I hear it in the audio editor, yet I'm still running it at 11025, 8 bits in both cases. Must be the general sound balance during gameplay that the entire game has

EDIT: I should learn how to pack these into a wad to actually be able to try them ingame

jupiter_ex said:

how about now? https://www.dropbox.com/s/2f31kgwse9ed7xo/DSSHOTGN.wav?dl=0
I'm trying to get ahold of something to edit a wad with so I can test it ingame as we speak

I'm trying to get ahold of something to edit a wad with so I can test it ingame as we speak

The link leads me to a page that says the file couldn't be found.

Also, I simply use deutex to build the wad, but that's a command line based program so proabably not your cup of tea. Learn to use Slade.

Btw the midi is fine.

Voros said:

The link leads me to a page that says the file couldn't be found.

sorry, just deleted the audio file when uploaded the wad a minute ago. Try the wad, it has both sounds

The wad plays no sound in game. Are they made with one channel/mono?

yeap. I'm playing them fine in freedoom phase 1 and 2. I downloaded Slide a couple hours ago, and only used the 'sounds' section of it. I just used the wad you gave me and added the plasma sound. Assumed that by putting the right name the game would find them and so it was. I really rushed over Slide, maybe there was something else I had to add?
If you can't hear anything I'll just upload both sounds to dropbox in a second

I already extracted the sounds, and frankly the filesize of the plasma sound is a bit big. 60 kb, somethings not right here. The current plasma sound is 13 kb iirc.

The problem is definitely with WAV files themselves. Convert them to 8 bit at 11025 hz, and use only one channel.

I'm working all the time in mono 8 bits 11025. Something is happening when I save the files

EDIT: well, tricky as hell. When there's a difference between the format you set when you exported and the format it has when you reopen it, things get quite confusing. Apparently, Audacity won't set the whole project to 11025, even if I set it manually to 11025 and save as such. Point is, it did work for the shotgun sound. So the actual fix was, if you initially open a 11025 sound with audacity, whatever you import into it will be resampled to that quality. In any other case, no matter that you set and save to 11025, it will be 44100 when you reopen it, because Audacity is set for high quality. I double checked this time (weight and everything) and will be updating that wad with the new sounds.
Problem must have been Slade not complaining about it, probably because it has support for more advanced source ports. I myself was trying this all the time in gzdoom (for some reason, although I generally don't like the looks of hardware accelerated source ports)

ok. Anyway I did resample in-editor, and saw the sound degrade. All that WYSIWYG should be coherent with what I save to disk.

on another topic, I think maybe I should move all this about sfx to a different thread

what the hell could be going on with that wad. I admit it's the first one I build tho. What source port are you using? Perhaps gzdoom is too modern.
The plasma sound was meant to be WIP, but I have been giving it some gameplay time and I'm starting to surprisingly be very fond of it (maybe it's just in contrast to the previous one :P)

EDIT: that wad you rebuilt doesn't have my shotgun sound

Freedoom's goal is vanilla conpatibilty, so I playtest in Chocolate Doom.

I barely played with the wad, so I can't confirm whether I personally like it or not yet.
One more thing, freedoom3.mid doesn't loop that well, given how the beginning is blank to slow paced and the ending is fast paced. Hence the loop sounds like fast->empty 1-2 seconds->slow. Bad transition if you ask me.

I assumed chocolate would be your choice. I don't have that one right here now.

Voros said:

freedoom3.mid doesn't loop that well, given how the beginning is blank to slow paced and the ending is fast paced. Hence the loop sounds like fast->empty 1-2 seconds->slow. Bad transition if you ask me.

This is precisely what I told you about that track loop problem. There's not supposed to be any gap, and there is none in the midi. Would you by chance have any wad with it integrated so I can hear it ingame? If the problem is that, I'll cut the ending. Anyway, if you don't like the track at all, we'll scrap it out, no problem. Just let me know

well for starters, I see my tracks are at lower volume than several of the rest. Gonna fix that, and the looping

reuploaded:
freedoom2.mid - volume raised
freedoom3.mid - volume raised, looping fixed
DSSHOTGN.WAV - yet again more punch put to shooting part