Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: TNT: Evilution

Okay, going to tackle the next map of the wad.

Map02: Human BBQ (John Wakelin)
100% kills, 100% items, 100% secrets
Time: 07:35

This map is so named for the hanging body roasting over a fire pit at the start. It's notable for being a bit trickier than Doom 2's Map 02 due to housing some of the stronger monsters, but it is still a cakewalk when you prioritise the enemies, like the hitscanners are the biggest threat in this map, so take them out as quickly as possible. There are a few tough spots, including the indoor pool area when the pain elemental, pinkies, and cacodemons show up, and the super shotgun section with the hell knights and barons. The latter is more tedious if you don't try to telefrag them as intended. Overall, it's a short and enjoyable map, though finding everything will make it longer than expected due to the amount of backtracking.

See you all next time in Map 03, folks.

Another year, another attempt to make semi-insightful comments about maps old and new. Hopefully I can take it through the whole month this time, but TNT doesn't exactly have one of my favorite back halves in a megaWAD. Still, good enough excuse to play through it again. UV Continuous with saves on Chocolate Doom (so I'd better be damn quick to remember the save button at level start if the worst happens(and it will)).

MAP01 - System Control
MAX'D, 0 deaths

One of the better openings to a megawad, in my opinion. Tense Tyson gameplay to kick off Evilution right, and it doesn't overstay its welcome.

MAP02 - Human BBQ
83% kills, 75% secrets, 4 deaths

Things start ramping up in difficulty pretty quick from here. While the opening firefight and the main courtyard didn't present any particular threat on Continuous, the card key room proved mighty deadly between the chaingunners and his imp shields, the wave o' pinkies after moving in a bit further, and the PE, complete with Cacodemon entourage. Even the winning attempt tore my health to shreds, which made the Soulsphere secret all the more necessary to pick up, not that the two chaingunners guarding it made that easy. One quick dick skeleton in the exit later, and we're on to MAP 03, where things really start ramping up.

Ah, nice, you guys are tackling another IWAD :p

I can never do the one a day thing, when I play Doom I play in huge bursts where I end up physically exhausted and totally drained, so I wont be doing anything here, but this DOES remind me that I have a half-finished playthrough of TNT on the PS3 that I should finish. Saved at Map 32, half the game to go!

TNT has always been my favourite IWAD, back since my first computer when I found a Final Doom disc second hand for a few bucks, and thought TNT and Plutonia were id-made. My love for Evilution is the reason Kyka, Megamur and I founded TNT Revilution, although we apparantly loved the aspects of TNT the community at large despises, given how pretty much everything in it got thrown out a SECOND time when the project changed hands. Ah well. Minority opinions.

Playing through it on the PS3, I still managed to discover new things all these years later. Love how adventure-based it is.

MAP01 - “System Control” by Tom Mustaine
Very quick map very much inspired by the first maps of both Doom and Doom2 with some clear homages in there. The only gripe is the wierd progression around the blue key door but the map is so short it doesn't really make much impact.

MAP02 - “Human BBQ” by John Wakelin
A rather strange map but with a lot of cool ideas and sort which are a bit dubious to say the least. Overall I really like this map, sure the visuals can be a little clunky and some ideas are a bit odd (The unmarked secret blue door). But I really like the challenge here and the blue door secret which reveals a soulsphere and the ssg is really cool with the player left in a tight space with some nobles which can be taken out by telefragging them. I am sure this has inspired many mappers, I am thinking of the likes of Darkwave and Ribbiks here with their secrets which seem to want to kill you more than the main map does.
Overall a cool map and I controversially love the music track.

Final Doom is my favorite IWAD. I'm not sure we had a full copy of Doom 1 when I was in high school, though we {cough} got Doom 2 from a neighbor. But Final Doom I purchased myself off the shelf at the Electronics Boutique down by the food court in Burnsville Center. So I probably played more Plutonia and TNT than I did Doom 1 or 2. I love both Final episodes equally, but for different reason: Plutonia I love for the abstract architecture that sticks in my mind so memorably (the opening arches in Onslaught, or the river winding underground in Bunker, for example.) But whereas Plutonia is abstract in the extreme, TNT is memorable for its very concrete sense of place.

I actually finished my first UV playthrough of TNT just back in October 2014, but it's such a comfort WAD that I can't pass up playing it again. I briefly considered trying it from pistol start this time, but who am I kidding, I never find pistol-starting to be any fun (and I'm definitely in this more for fun than challenge) so as usual, it will be: GZDoom/continuous/keyboard-only/saves.

I also highly recommend that if folks like TNT they also check out TNT Renascence, which gives the first 11 maps the "Wonderful Doom" treatment. It's always fun (I think) seeing familiar and/or beloved levels given a twist like that.

MAP01: System Control
2:47 | 100% Everything

So, hm, this map. I'm normally not a good Tyson player, but gave it the old college try here (until I picked up the shotgun) and was more successful than usual. Not a fan of the tripline in front of the blue key door, as back in my 2014 play I got completely stumped/stuck on account of it: I saw there was a blue door, and I had no keys, so I didn't even bother approaching it. Cue 5-10 minutes blundering around the map trying to figure out what to do. If the door hadn't been marked as blue, that would've avoided the problem. The fake-out ending is fun, but ultimately toothless, just two sergeants and a handful of dudes that you can safely take out while the bars are still in place. A fine opening map, if not for that blue door.

MAP02: Human BBQ
10:51 | 100% Everything

Classic TNT level. I honestly never recall the opening diorama when I think of this one. What always comes to my mind first is the outdoor arena full of imps and hitscanners, with the exit path winding around it. The biggest challenge, though, is deep inside when you grab the keys and unleash the horde of pinkies and cacos and the pain elemental. I managed to escape unscathed (before heading back in to mop up) but it was a frantic moment; I could have easily been pinned in by monsters more than a couple of times. I do have to wonder why both keys were stashed in the same location. And I should mention that this marks only the first time I played the SSG room as intended, by telefragging all the nobles; before I would usually blow all my ammo killing everything, then realize there was a SSG available, and only then tackle the teleporter puzzle. (And then promptly facepalm.) I won't forget that bit again, though. :) The revenant at the end makes for a good surprise, but is easily dodged and then dealt with if you've got the SSG. Finally, a shout-out to the deep-water effect, which I don't think I even noticed until my previous play. Is that the first use of deep water in an IWAD? (Also very excited about the early backpack.)

Map 02 - Human BBQ

I've always been of two minds about the map. The combat in this map is suitably bloody & visceral to start with; one thing the map gets right is that a lot of the encounters tend to be pressing, be it the run in with the Barons you can telefrag, or something more like being picked at by hitscanners. On the other hand, i'm not super big on how the layout makes you have to backtrack several times for no particularly good reason.

Nice enough, I suppose; just wish the layout was a bit different in a few spots so it played more smoothly.

Nevander said:

Here's a sweet music pack created by Lorcan that really spices up the original TNT soundtrack. It's my personal favorite, and will surely make your play-through of TNT all the more enjoyable (especially if you've played TNT before and know the MIDIs).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/sd1z8930fmar2s0/tnt-lorcan-mus.pk3

This is amazing! Thank you. Definitely using this. I will certainly go back and forth to compare the originals but it's easy to tell which I will enjoy more.

TNT:Evilution; it's been a long time. I barely remember playing through it but I know I did. Will be fun to look at it again with a more critical eye.

MAP01 - “System Control” by Tom Mustaine
gzDoom - UV – pistol start

The classic Doom 2 starter map. Only here we get lots of zerk punching for the hell of it. I liked the classic outdoor secrets and a couple chaingun traps in the very first map with the double BK guards and the fake exit section. Fun and short start. I liked the water surrounding the starting spot just to visually create it's own character and differentiate it from Doom 2, ever so slightly.

MAP02 - “Human BBQ” by John Wakelin
gzDoom - UV – pistol start

Yummm!

Three different sections blended together to make a nice little map. Nothing too crazy. The larger outdoor area stands out I suppose. The water cavern area had a nice ambush with Cacos, a PE and pinkies. This early on that kind of thing can be troublesome. With very little armor to speak of, every shotgun guy becomes a serious threat and there are plenty mixed throughout this map.

The secret noble telefragging SSG room was odd. Getting the SSG on Map 2 is hilarious to me. Back when I first played through this, I had never heard of the term "pistol start." So things like that really stand out to me now. It's the 2nd map and already we have the backpack and SSG. What the?! You're telling me, that for the next 30 maps, max ammo capacity and access to the best weapon in Doom 2, is no longer an issue? That... seems dumb. Same with getting rocket ammo on this level with no RL. With that, you can see continuous play is more in mind. Then why give away the backpack this early? In a nondescript pool of water, no less. *shrug* Hopefully pistol starting these maps doesn't become a pain in the ass.

03 - it's okay. The symmetry\repetition doesn't make me terribly excited but I got through the map without puking or anything. The central section has a certain appeal with nice use of greens and we're getting some stronger monsters and weapons already.

Doomsday Engine - UV - Continuous - No Saves

MAP01 System Control (No Deaths)

A small perfectly formed map, where in we are invited to a punch up at relatively close quarters. Throw in a few surprises, and a bit of back tracking and it makes a nice opening and homage to Entryway.

MAP02 Human BBQ (3 Deaths >.<)

There's quite a strong interconnected layout to this which I like, with an emphasis on sniping, target prioritisation and ambushes. I was a bit wary of taking on the telefrag secret room, since I knew a death would mean another restart, but I ended up down there anyway and got my SSG reward, which I'll no doubt lose in the next map.

Screwing up one of the jumps, means having to run around the level again, but the map is compact enough that it isn't a chore.

On the whole another solid little opening map, that reminds me why TNT is much more accessible than Plutonia.

Urthar said:

UV - Continuous - No Saves
... got my SSG reward, which I'll no doubt lose in the next map.

Ooohhh, continuous with no saves! That seems like a good idea. Never tried to play like that before but I could see it working out in a fun and challenging way.

MAP03: This one is allright. I like the central structure with the towers in the hub, and for some reason I remembered clearly the blue key room with the first archvile and the yellow key room.

Map03 "Power Control" (UV) - 100% kills, 100% secrets

I personally like this map. The layout is simple ( perhaps too simple ), but it works, and doesn't look completely ass.
Difficulty-wise it is more pleasant, with ways to deal with the numerous hitscanners. The secrets are probably hidden in way too similar manner - not to mind that one of the secrets seems to be very dangerous to stumble upon.
At least this is first map where you get SSG ( non-secret ), and introduces archviles and mancubi.
The music I did not remember at all, but on closer listening, it is rather pleasant track.

I attempt to comment on these maps as I play them. Did good on map 1, but I'm mostly silent on maps 2 & 3, well see if that continues for the rest of the playthrough.

Map 1

Great opener to Evilution & one of my favorite maps in the set. In the past few years I've really fallen in love with Tom Mustaine's simple style of map design & I have emulated it for a few of my own maps. Once for Final Doom the Way ID Did & once for TNT Revilution & I will continue to do so in the future with the Perditions Gate project that I am planing on launching sometime this year. Berserk gameplay is the weapon of choice here with the maps large number of low tier monsters clumped together in tight hallways, the fast paced midi couldn't possibly be more appropriate. There are a few weird setups here, both involving the exit, it really gives you the impression that you are going to get something very different from what you saw in Doom or Doom 2. Which sounds weird considering that this maps is such a tribute to Entryway.

Map 2

Another map that is a real blast to play. This one is from John Wakelin & it appears to be the only single player map he ever made. He has a number of other maps that are death match only which can be found on the ID Games archive. It makes me kinda sad that this is his only single player map, because this map is another of my very favorites in Evilution. I love the looping layout & the weird gimmicks scattered throughout the map. This was another map author that I emulated when making TNT Revilution, I consider both my map 05 & 13 as very Wakelin inspired. TNT shows us that it isn't messing around with it's difficulty here either, the swarm of monsters released by the deep water pool can be quite the challenge in addition to the large number of hitscanners in the map. The only part of this map I don't really like is the Baron/Teleport room.

Map 3

I also like this map quite a bit, but not as much as the first 2 maps. This map was a joint effort between Robin Patenall & John Minadeo, with the former doing the majority of the work. The biggest fault with this map is its hub spoke design & symmetry. On the other hand the gameplay is quite intense, lots of chaingunners really pressure the player from the big central power distribution structure. Detailing is a bit bland past all of the key doors, seems that all the effort was put toward making the big central structure look cool, which it is. The first Arch-Vile shows up in this map, but he isn't much of a threat. So a fun map, but it could have use a bit more refinement to make it a great map.

Demtor said:

Getting the SSG on Map 2 is hilarious to me. Back when I first played through this, I had never heard of the term "pistol start." So things like that really stand out to me now. It's the 2nd map and already we have the backpack and SSG. What the?! You're telling me, that for the next 30 maps, max ammo capacity and access to the best weapon in Doom 2, is no longer an issue?

That's pretty standard progression for an IWAD. Doom 2 had an SSG on map02 and backpack in 03. Plutonia gives you everything except the cell weapons on map01 (not sure about the backpack though). I'm fine with that. Who wants to use the regular Shotgun on Hell Knights and Revenants? Not me!

Memfis said:

but I got through the map without puking or anything.

I, on the other hand, just lost my lunch and ruined my new carpet.

MAP03 - “Power Control” by Robin Patenall, John Minadeo

This map's alright and I do like the circular hub area with the computer/teleporter building. It's fun running the outer circle and mowing down dudes and Spectres in your path. There's also that trollish teleport secret that warps you into a gangbang. Good thing you can step on it again to bail out. Never did manage to find the third one though. There's also the introduction of the Archvile and Fatcubus so things are heating up quicker than the slow roast that was Doom 2.

MAP03 - Power Control
ZDoom, UV-PS, KIS(%): 100/100/100

Why did I mention about an arch-vile yesterday... Anyway, It's another techbase level with a giant, symmetrical hub area in the middle. The gameplay was okay, except some chaingunners and a questionable "secret" teleporter behind the TEKGREN3 door... and maybe that's all to say? This level was not that bad, but it was not that good, either. In the end, this level was not memorable to me.

uh, hi? Where am I?

MAP01 System Control

Will be doing these on UV for once. The true classic berserk start, a level I practice a lot. Fresh in memory although the backtracking setup for the blue key is quite weird.

MAP02 Human BBQ

Lovely opening shot to an annoying level. Yeah, hitscanners across a field is a lot of fun, now where's that chaingun again. I had fun in the room with the deep water pit with all the demons. Got both yellow and blue keys quickly, but having to backtrack for that one hidden blue door was a hassle. Telefragging room with the SSG is pure novelty. Also was that one red door trigger in the hell knight closet meant for something?

MAP03 Power Control

Nice hub map, very much annoying to run into the main hub but gets cleared out quickly enough by rolling around the rim and then converging the center. Other sections are quite standard. Secrets are easy.

gzDoom - UV – continuous/no saves (replayed through maps 1 and 2 to get here legit)

Deaths this map: 0 (came close though, slipped up with a surprise Rev on a ledge)
Deaths so far: 0 (This could get embarrassing but I'm up for the extra challenge... and laughs.)

Hitscans, everywhere!

Slow start inside a tight tech area that got jumping with a "secret" teleport that dropped me in the middle of a bunch of guys looking in on me with a few lost souls. That was dirty. Didn't realize I could've just teleported back out right away. Instead I panicked and went into an offensive scramble circling around the pillar focusing on the chaingun guys first. Whew.

The steps surrounding the main hub got me a little nervous right away as I had spectres coming at me from both behind and front along with shotgun guys. I kept moving up and down through the whole circle, staying out of sight from all of the chaingun guys until everything was cleared before then sniping various things in the yard without too much issue. The RK area with all of the teleports was kind of neat looking. Glad I had cleared everyone before jumping in them to come face to face with chaingunners in their bunkers.

I ran a quick circle around these fatties before the exit. That was probably dumb. Surprised I didn't die there.

Good little map though with a few close encounters and an open area to cut down the brash inattentive player. I liked how each colored door area, was essentially a locked in one way kind of deal until you found the next key.

MAP04 - Wormhole
ZDoom, UV-PS, KIS(%): 100/100/100

One of the most interesting levels I've played as an IWAD level. This level greets the player with some harsh hitscanner placements around the starting area. Shotgun guys, chaingunners, and some spectres are ready to crush the unfortunate victim, so it's recommended to play the first area carefully... especially you grab the "secret" rocket launcher on the metallic platform, damn those hitscanners :(. After you clean the starting area, you have two options: either finish the level by pressing the exit button that you have no idea what caused that door opened, or proceed the level by entering the dark, narrow corridor. Eventually, you will find the suspicious FIREBLU pillars under the ground. It will take you to the alternative dimension with identical layout, but with darker and more sinister environment. And don't worry, there's no hitscanners around that darker dimension, except a single chaingunner in the secret dungeon. While the gameplay was just okay, this level stands out with its unique, interesting concept. And to me, it's the most memorable level designed by late Ty Halderman. Rest in peace.

A simple and pretty inoffensive map this one is. Much easier than map02 to pistol start with enough cover and health/armour to cover some fairly heavy firepower. Overall this was pretty fun to blaze through in a couple of minutes.

04 - the existence of this map makes sense. Someone had to come up with the idea sooner or later and make a map based on it. We can all thank him and go on with our lives, knowing that there is no need for anyone else to do it now. There are actually some kinda interesting looking rooms, so it's not like the level has nothing to offer aside from the alternative world idea, but it's so overstuffed with monsters that it's hard to notice the architecture.

Spectre01 said:

That's pretty standard progression for an IWAD. Doom 2 had an SSG on map02 and backpack in 03. Plutonia gives you everything except the cell weapons on map01 (not sure about the backpack though). I'm fine with that. Who wants to use the regular Shotgun on Hell Knights and Revenants? Not me!

Point taken. My memory is either terrible or my Doom 2 progression is tainted by more modern sensibilities. Probably both. In any case, I should've looked that up before speaking erroneously.

Map01 - System Control - Tom Mustane

A Solid start,it looks like the start of doom2, but rather giving you a chainsaw, they give you a breserker pack, also, codos for the new music,pretty small basic map to start of,and it gets you pumped for the game.

Map02 - Human BBQ - John Wakelin

This one is interesting,it's an old rather rusty tech base,the outdoor is really an opened area with bullets to soak,the music is really good also in this one,it helps you getting into the game,the one thing that kinda tedious is the backtracking to get the blue key and coming back to open the blue secret door because you have to jump on the platforms in order to get to the blue door,otherwise it's a good map with a nice design.

Map03 - Power Control - Robin Patenall and John Minadeo

This is a solid map,Anoter outdoor open map,but cirular, a solid design,there are hitscanners everywhere,some nice fights, they introduce the Arch-Vile in this map,could use some more attention to details but rather a solid map.

Memfis said:

This story seems to be so overblown it's not even funny anymore. Seriously, who were these people and where are their comments? I found maybe two semi-negative messages in the Usenet archive.

lol,If they were in Team TNT's Shoes,they would have sold the game to ID for money,I would have done the same if I was put in Team TNT's Shoes too,so let's not acting like we have "standards".

Map04 - Wormhole - Ty Halderman

This one has a very interesting concept, and becasue of that it is one of the most memorable maps I've ever seen, it's basically a parallel timeline and something has to do with time travelling,one being the current timeline where the base is blue,silver and lively, the other is darker, rustier and grimmer, really solid fights, and what made this map work also is the wormhole in the future timeline where you can go two ways, one is attacking from the underground and the other from the seceret area,also great music, one of my favorite music in the game,my favorite music is the one used in the status screen. one little issue with this map that you could exit this map without going 100%,otherwise a very good map.

Map05 - Hanger - Jim Dethlefsen

This one is better than Map03 , this was made by the same guy who made map26 from Icarus where they are both solid maps, love the architict of this map,this map reminds me of new school wad designs,also I love the technical aspect of it,looks really cool,the areas look small and cramped which made it easier to put more details,I also liked how you can shield yourself from more hitscan attacks in the eastern outdoor courtyard,and how they put a blur artifact to help you evade their vicious attacks,in fact,this game is actually pretty good when it comes to blur artifact placement,it works 70% on hitscanners,because most of the time you can't use it correctly on demons which you try to evade thair attacks and you end up going to the same shot direction.

The outdoor Estern courtyard is also well designed that it creates an atmosphere,and this game is notorious for creating really good atmosphere with the game,something Doom 2 sacrificed for the sake of more combat.

MAP04: There's no really the need to explain the concept of this map. The first times I played this map though I was kinda confused as I didn't really get it. It's actually harder than what I was expecting, and there's a quite high raise in the monster count though many of the stuff is optional. I like the contrast between the clean area with the second part that uses rusty and dirty textures. I don't know why but the presence of those couches always impressed here, a nice idea to detail the map that also makes everything more surreal with its touch of realism.