Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quagsire

How do I record DOOM 2016 with OBS? Won't work for me

Okay so I decided to try and record DOOM 2016 on OBS (open broadcasting software) and it always ends up being a blank video but the sounds are there. Am I missing something?

Are you actually adding it as a game capture source? Are you running it in Vulkan? Because OBS doesn't support Vulkan yet.

Jaxxoon R said:

Are you actually adding it as a game capture source? Are you running it in Vulkan? Because OBS doesn't support Vulkan yet.

Ah. I tried doing it in OpenGL but it was stuttering in the recording (not ingame but the video was stuttering). How do I fix this?

Sgt Ender said:

Ah. I tried doing it in OpenGL but it was stuttering in the recording (not ingame but the video was stuttering). How do I fix this?

Does OBS apply encoding and compression on the fly? If so, your CPU might be struggling to run the game and record the footage at the same time.

Post your specs, please.

I've heard about other people having similar problems. DOOM doesn't seem to like OBS a lot in general. But Bandicam, for instance, works pretty well with it.

OBS straight up causes Doom to crash for me. Then again, I have below minimal specs so there's that. Bandicam, as stated, works fine but, for some reason, the recording is completely botched if I use it in game mode (It just stutters two frames of animation) or if I record it while it's loading (Seems to just freeze the video at the loading screen).

Remmirath said:

Does OBS apply encoding and compression on the fly? If so, your CPU might be struggling to run the game and record the footage at the same time.

Post your specs, please.

Intel Core i5-6500 @ 3.2GHz
Gigabyte GA-B150M-DS3H
Avexir Core 16GB DDR4-2400
WD caviar blue 1TB HDD
Zotac GTX 1060 6GB mini
Rosewill FBM-01 MicroATX case
EVGA SuperNOVA 650W 80+ gold certified (fully modular)

MrGlide said:

Shadowplay is your friend, use it instead of obs.

Won't let me use that for some reason.

With OpenGL games (even things like GZDoom) set it to record the desktop. That's how I got screen recording software to work with every idtech game since RAGE.