Quake 4 Memories.

What's your favourite in Quake 4?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite in Quake 4?

• Levels.
    • Monsters.
    • Weapons.
    • Something else.

I enjoyed it for the most part. It had most of the good level design elements of Quake2 but with a lot of pointless empty corridor crawling added in. The final objective was too easy and anti-climactic.

The constant missile lock alarms almost made me quit the game.

I like how the aesthetics combines the strogg designs with a modern militaristic one, though I find the game greatly unbalanced and I would totally be up for a balancing patch (that isn't "lul remove reload you modern fag").

Trycon said:

The stroggification scene.

Absolutely the highlight in an otherwise disappointing game.

Trycon said:

The game really picks up after that.

wouldn't really say that myself tbh. so you get some better speed and higher health and... that's about it? nothing really changes after that, you still need to stop the Strogg, you just can use your Strogg interface to make the process go by faster.

the game had some decent voice-acting. i liked Strauss the most and he lifted the game for me, but the gameplay was really frustrating and i didn't enjoy it that much. the inexplicable revival of the final boss was also really stupid. it feels kind of generic too with its modern military-style focus, with lots of vehicles and squad members and whatnot. it's not terrible overall, though, but very forgettable IMO.

It is a good game on a good engine without overstaying its welcome like Doom 3 does. Good for a playthrough especially with that bumpmapping mod or whatever it was.

I always thought it was a good game. Nothing "classic", but I had fun playing through it. If anything, it did live up to Quake 2 in regards to the singleplayer campaign. I do have to admit that I thought the Strogg designs didn't look very original at all, but whatever. The weapons kicked ass.

I think I would enjoy it more if it didn't run on the Doom 3 engine, to be honest. Doom 3 pretty much always had performance issues, and Quake 4 also inherited this to some extend. Maybe less so compared to Doom 3, but it was still there IMO.

Trycon said:

Its not everyday where you find a game that shows you getting chopped up in first person view uncensored.
This scene is by far the most memorable part of the whole game.

I only reinstalled it a few days ago just to mess around in the maps, noclipping through the normally blocked off areas, spawning stuff, and fiddling with console commands. Some maps have a fair amount of unused areas.

Compared to Doom 3 and especially Prey, it felt pretty weak. However, I still love the game. Sure it's not a "Quakey" game, but people said the same thing about Quake II after it came out. There's a lot of gameplay flaws, it's pretty short all things considered, but it's got a ton of charm and is actually pretty fun to play most times.

My biggest issue is the game is just a standard corridor shooter until you become Stroggified, which happens fairly late into the game. That "twist" is the coolest part of the game, as others here seem to agree. The vehicle combat, most of the boss fights, and most of the first half of the game are just plain boring. It's been a while since I played, but even as a teenager when it first came out I felt like it needed a lot of changes before being a proper Quake title.

I'm glad it exists, I'm glad I got to play it, however I wish it would've gotten a longer development cycle. Some areas feel completely unfinished. I'm probably being super biased and unfair, because Doom 3 is actually a great game to me, and Prey is one of the better titles I've ever played. They do all suffer from similar issues to eachother (linearity gets old, issues with the engine, shitty early-game), but all in all they're better than average titles. People seem to forget Prey for some reason ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I was younger, I enjoyed Quake 4 a lot. Years went by and I played it again but found myself getting quickly bored with it. The same exact thing happened to me with Quake 2 as well. Both just feel like rather cookie cutter corridor shooters to me, which is a shame because I really like the concept of the Strogg. I've always liked the concept of cyborgs because something about the fusing of metal and flesh is just bad fucking ass to me, so to have a whole alien race based around that is awesome but the games around them bore me nowadays.

If I had to pick one thing I liked beside the Strogg in general I'd have to give the expected answer and say the Stroggification scene, and the details in the levels themselves.

The enemy variety and weapon feedback were godlike, but the levels felt a bit too cramped and the art style was so similar to Doom 3 that coupled with the same engine it felt like a mod for at times. The less said about the vehicle sections the better.
Like Doom 3, it was a good game on its own but considering the franchise pedigree it left a lot to be desired.

I concur on the stroggification sequence.

I tried to play the Steam version but for some reason the game's graphic settings couldn't be changed from ugly low res and it kept crashing after the initial cut scene. Not sure what the problem was.

I liked it a lot. It was a colorful game. It was really sad they had the locked doors everywhere, like I really wanted to explore beyond all the linearity. But it was a gorgeous game, pretty funny at times, and actually violent to the core. I actually thought it was more violent than Doom 3. It was too bad they had to do the disintegrating enemies shtick, but that's the idtech magic at work: really gorgeous and ultimately unsustainable once the body count starts increasing.

Also the nice thing about Quake 4 was there was a clear sense of progression. The beginning middle end was really clear. I don't think the game was too short at all. There was a decent amount of exploration involved even if it did boil down to corridor shooting.

The weapons and the shooting were the best part, otherwise it was only slighter above Doom 3 in terms of overall experience. Still mediocre.

My favorite part about Quake 4 was "Oh, cool Quake 4, using the Doom 3 engine. I really hope they go back to the fantasy Love-Craftian Quake 1 design instead of making a shitty sci-fi new Quake 2!". And my favorite part of my idea of Quake 4 was quickly dashed.

I've tried playing it five or six times, and I get sick of it, the farthest I've gotten is shortly after the hi-way level The gunplay is shit; it seems to be pew-pew-pew against enemies that go pew-pew-pew. I never cared for Quake 2, quite a few grey corridors with orange lights. And if you saw any brown ground, get ready for some orange lights. Wait what? Brown liquid? I hope there's some grey metal walls and orange lights when I get in there.

Enjoyed deathmatching it quite a lot. It was a thing at work, at the time. Kinda meh singleplayer, though it did pop some horror'y moments into my retina as a I played - black corridor, blinking lights, strogg grunt around the corner looking horribly zombied, close-up. Had its moments but felt like it was copying too much from its contemporaries (HL2, CoD) to ever attain a soul fully its own. I made a deathmatch map for it.

The Stroggification was good as well as that huge monster that stalked you for a couple levels before you finally fight it (in a weak boss fight). At the time that thing made me nervous when it was messing with the level, destroying stuff and flying around and at any point I could be vulnerable to it.
I liked some of the moments with other marines; going up an elevator with very very dim lighting with all the marine's flashlights moving around looking at some of the messed up stuff going on. The shotgun was also more fun to use than Doom 3's.
Also, Peter Stormare

MrDeAD1313 said:

I remember getting a copy the had corrupt files on the disc. I still have it somewhere around here.

I had one too; I returned it for a new version though

A mostly forgettable game. If I didn't witness myself being sliced and diced in first person in a near-sickening and horrifying way, I probably wouldn't have any memories of it. But as the rest of the thread seems to say, stroggification was 100% the most memorable bit of that game.

Yeah, my main memories of the game is the midpoint stroggification, made me feel very very sick witnessing that.

Most shooters are forgettable, outside of very specific scenes or fights. Barely remember much else about the game

Doom Dude said:

The part where you land in the drop pod and crash through the building.

Halo 3: ODST also has this type of beginning too.

The thing that I remember the most besides the Strogifaction and janky vehicle controls, is the intro to the game and wanting to slug Strauss. The intro with the ship debris and corpses floating in space really got me excited to play the game. Strauss just made me angry. He is the definition of a self important jackass.

i loved Strauss, he was a riot. he was easily the most entertaining part of the game because of his attitude. everyone else were just kind of forgettable. i remember the other guy with an accent and the duo on the spaceship that were super-geeks, but that's it.