• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: Jade Earth

January, 2017

>>> Download Jade Earth <<<

Leaderboard & Streaming Schedule

1. # Survived [01:08:24] Bloodite Krypto - The domination continues; Happy New Year.
  2. # Survived [01:15:30] Demon of the Well - You're going to need to hold still: chainsawing the exit barrier only makes the test take longer.
  3. # Survived [01:31:29] Veinen - Veinen gets his 2017 campaign off to a cracking start with the month's first CLEAR. Who will go one better, or two...?
  4. # Survived [01:39:35] WH-Wilou84 - Overcomes some dicey play in the forties, and particularly on The Jadewalk. Well survived!
  5. # Survived [01:59:25] Roofi - First Demo Attempt! Weapons master Roofi plays a steady yet confident game that pays dividends. Nicely done.
  6. # Survived [02:10:21] AnimaZero - Slow and steady mightn't win the race, but it will buy you some pretty cool real estate.
  7. # Survived [02:22:29] JCD - "Really slow," but he didn't want to die. You and me both, Jay!
  8. # 91% Ribbiks - A good old-fashioned rodeo. Wrangled, cornered and scuffed on The Jadewalk.
  9. # 85% Beginner - He's a Beginner and he slaughtered nearly all the level's denizens. How's that for a boost of confidence?
  10. # 53% Dime - Got the blue armor he wanted. Had to trade out his rocket dodging skills to buy it, though. No problem, right?
    Spoiler

11. # 47% Ancalagon - Some indecision with weapon selection leads to a bony beatdown.
  12. # 41% DemonSphere - D_DEAD (illegal comp settings)
  13. # 38% NoisyVelvet - Corrosive marble, eh? The spectres seem to tolerate it well enough.
  14. # 35% rodster - Blindsided after some skillful outmaneuvering. Them bones, man. Racking up the kills!
  15. # 33% Suitepee - Cowed to his revenant kryptonite.
  16. # 32% 2016-12-31 - Got a haircut from a Paper Doom revenant. (illegal comp settings)
  17. # 32% Eris Falling - Had the shit spooked out of him by a gang of rascally revenants; the stage was set!
  18. # 31% Rathori - Didn't adjust his mirrors. Sgt Blindside gets the chocolates.
  19. # 31% scotty - Played a game of peek-a-boo with a chaingunner and died to bullets.
  20. # 28% loveless - Nobody puts loveless in a corner... except revenants. Blammo.
  21. # 24% DaIcemann76 - Snagged one from around the corner. Flashbacks of Eris 2016.
  22. # 24% an_mutt - Corralled into a bad situation after a shitlord archvile resurrects a baron.
  23. # 22% Alfonzo - I'm never streaming again, it's demos or nothing! I'm taking my ball and going home!
  24. # 21% 4shockblast - Oh, sweet, you can glide through the fence. I love shockblast. (DNF)
  25. # 12% TheMionicDonut - His Supreme Hubris returns for 2017, only this time he is being 'the most careful anyone could ever be.' Cue the archvile.
  26. # 12% bzzrak - Splayed by a hellknight but check out that smack talk! Haha! That's the spirit.
  27. # 11% JudgeDeadd - Erred on the side of terror. Archviles can do that.
  28. # 11% Memfis - Caught in a nasty crossfire between a previously dead chaingunner and the culprit chief.
  29. # 11% cannonball - Couldn't recover from losing a dance-off with a revenant. Let the spectres eat all the shame.
  30. # 11% Crusader No Regret - Some Regret. He'll wish he'd charged his wireless keyboard the night before, for one. Love the sliding corpse flourish!

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given mapset, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome; it could change the way you play Doom!

*** Important *** Please note the rule change for this month, which sees the number of kills used to determine the ranking of dead players in single levels and map01s. Also note that 2017 is the first season of ironman proper, charting performances and rivalries throughout the year. Expect spreadsheets!

In January 2017 the DWIronman League dies to Jade Earth -complevel 9 (Boom (strict)), which is the first single level to grace our modest little compo. It's by Jodwin, a pioneer of the Finnish Frugality style of play, the "two imps, one shell" philosophy that has so arrested Maes over the last 7 years. It's big, it's green, and with plenty of harrowing encounters and ammo starvation; you'll want to polish your eyeballs before taking on Jade Earth.
Spoiler

• One attempt per month. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+ and GLBoom), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs.
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No auto-loaded wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • If you choose to stream your run rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on map01 of a set or because of a single level being selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit. The number of kills registered will determine your ranking versus other players who died on that level.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You do not have to complete your run in a single sitting. Such runs are considered to be "hardcore" runs. For stream and video recording users, you need only load a savegame that has been shown to be set during the previous segment, and again displaying the same compatability options. For demo users, you may continue using the same recording using a save file linked in the thread alongside the demo, assuming the -complevel allows for this function (e.g. -cl 9). Otherwise, the run must be completed in a single sitting or in segments separated by forced pistol starts (mandatory death exits) and episodes.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point. This includes "scouting ahead" for map details "just to check on something."
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If you die for any reason, tough luck! Your little brother snuck into your room while you were paused and getting tea and walked your marine into an inescapable pit? Brilliant. You went to answer the doorbell but knocked over your mug of hot chocolate and a baron ripped your arm off? Walk it off, hot stuff! You're through.
  • If your operating system fails during the run with you having progressed beyond the most recent save point then it's a write-off, sorry!
  • Death exits do not disqualify a run (duh!) but accidentally restarting the level before the tally screen appears will. Stay frosty!
  • In the event that the leaders are tied having died on the same map, the player to have arrived at the map of death in the fastest time will be deemed the winner.

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Interesting.....an Ironman League month based around a solitary (albeit seemingly lengthy) map.

Nevertheless, it is time to begin my 2017 campaign to prevail over an_mutt in the personal duel stakes!

2017 - Declaring war on Anima and DaIcemann for TNSBowl. Declaring war on Alfonzo for StillNotYetNotableMidiPeopleBowl.

And ultimately losing to all three, I'm sure.

edit:

which sees the number of kills used to determine the ranking of dead players

haha zdoom haha lost souls

double edit: kd informs me there's no lost souls or pain elementals, i'm simultaneously pleased and disappointed in this :D

Demo

Finished in about an hour and a half. I have played this map several times so I had a pretty good idea what to expect.

Voros said:

I'm too ashamed to post mine :(

booo post it :P

--
Here's my run, actually happy with how it went though I see the first two runs were both solid so I'm not so confident in it now. Survived for over 40 minutes, racking up a final kill count of 357. Suppose it was a silly death in the end, but I don't mind this time.
Also 38:50 for jumpscare :D

Whoa! Awesome choice for this months dwimc! Jodwin had some mapping opinions I thought were pretty strange and alienating at the time he was testing for UAC Ultra but looking back, truthfully there's some hidden genius behind his work that ive been meaning to look into more. I dont recall ever finishing this giant map but I suspect it should be a lot of fun.

died at the "you know what" part, ~90 mins in: https://www.mediafire.com/?6tp7g7bhjx07s2l

never played this before, interesting map. Some areas were way too dark and some were a bit sloggy (think "walls of meat"), but this map felt the most like a "modern" fps of any (non zdoom) wad I've ever played. Pseudo-realism, caches and side areas of ammo, generally a linear string of setpieces tied together by wandering through some overarching structures. Never really felt the ammo starvation advertised in the OP, but I have a tendency to play overly conservative.

First time doing something like this and I didn't know the map so I was a bit scared... spooky revenants on 54:22 made me jump irl, and soon after I died. Expected to be safe in that area because of the vertical angle but looks like I got overconfident and I kept eating projectiles.

Edit: I retire for this month since I had wrong compatibility settings.

^ hah, it's the same revenants that scared me. Looks like we're very close, you got 2 more kills but arch-viles revived more stuff on your run - if that's taken into account then your percentage is lower, but I'm not sure if it's being done like that...exciting times, welcome aboard!

Having just one map for Ironman is definitely adding a new dynamic to the competition, I like it.

OP updated.

@Mr. Dates: Welcome! Please make sure you don't enable any gameplay settings like freelook in mapsets that were not designed with such features in mind. Also ensure the correct compatibility settings. Boom(strict) for a -complevel 9 level, in this case. Good luck in future runs!

Eris Falling said:

[...] you got 2 more kills but arch-viles revived more stuff on your run - if that's taken into account then your percentage is lower, but I'm not sure if it's being done like that...exciting times, welcome aboard!

I note the monster count in a map as it is at player start, matching the end kill count against that number regardless of how that /number's changed. Not sure how I'm going to get around the lost soul problem just yet - may just deduct all souls and PEs from the count before I start - but the revives aren't an issue. If you're farming zombiemen then you're only shoring up a dead run, as kill counts are only relevant assuming you cark it: good luck to you. Might make for some fun scenarios, though, for sure! Leave It In™

Alfonzo said:

@Mr. Dates: Welcome! Please make sure you don't enable any gameplay settings like freelook in mapsets that were not designed with such features in mind. Also ensure the correct compatibility settings. Boom(strict) for a -complevel 9 level, in this case. Good luck in future runs!

Oh how embarrassing I just realized everyone else wasn't using mouselook. You should remove my entry from the top post, it's not fair for other players.

So, should I've turned mouselook off manually? If I set Boom(Strict) in Compatibility options mouselook is still enabled.

I'll leave it on the table; it's still great to look at other people's runs, regardless!

Compatibility options tackles game and engine functionality, but leaves the rest untouched. You'll want to peruse the mouse options and player setup menus to deal with freelook and autoaim and all that stuff. If you have jump or crouch bound to any keys it might be a good idea to unbind them for the run, as well... but to hell with penalizing players for something as silly as an accidental jump. I won't bite your head off for crosshairs either.

EDIT: I disqualified my own run a couple of months ago, and I'm the organizer of this thing. How's that for embarrassing :)

Played for 10 minutes before recording attempt, otherwise going in blind.

Keyboard was being janky during recording. Instead of quitting and retrying like a sane person, decided to press on. This can't end well.

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1704315

My journey came to a premature end when my wireless keyboard stopped responding, leaving me easy prey for a hellknight. The jokes about Kieth's nephew with the paralyzing body odor practically write themselves.

112 kills total at time of death. I considered pretending this never happened and not submitting but decided to do so for the entertainment of the community. There are several times before final death where the keyboard acts up resulting in bizarre, drunken movement. Predicting this will be the last place attempt at month's end.

Bloodite in the house! Short odds for a 4th straight win. Somebody stop him!

@Killer5: It doesn't look like your kill count is displayed anywhere at the end of the stream, and without a demo I can't look it up myself. Do you have an archived stream or anything else that might be of help?