Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

Where will Doom go next?

So I just beat Doom 4, and there's an obvious set up for a sequel at the end. So I was wondering what you guys think the sequel is going to be like in terms of gameplay, setting, story, and even Doom Guy's arsenal (I'm particularly interested in that last one).

Well, i actually like the gameplay in this new Doom and I hope they use it for a sequel, adding some impressive features might be ok as well, but I'm more interested in setting and story. I wonder whether it will take place in Hell or Mars once again, since Hayden teleported the Doom Marine to an undisclosed location, I assume he possibly sent him back to Hell again to contain him so the Doom Slayer needs to find an escape to recover the crucible from Hayden's robotic hands, possibly in a battle where Hayden make use of it. Or maybe we will see the return of the Icon of Sin.

Hopefully not down the toilet in terms of ratings. But that would be impossible, the game is great!

I think we all agree that getting the Crucible back is important. Chekhov's gun and all that. You can't show me a giant sword made of hell magic in a game about slaughtering demons and not let me slaughter some demons with it.

As for setting, I'm a bit mixed on that. On one hand I do kinda want to see the Hell on Earth concept done with technology that can actually properly represent it. On the other hand, Nu-ID has proven that they are capable of creating a game that honours Doom's roots while having enough creativity to make it feel refreshing. I don't want them to be restrained by feeling that they have to re-do every single thing that the old games did. Not to mention the fact that Dooms setting is just so rife for creativity. It's about Future Technology vs. Ancient Evil Magic, two very pliable fictional concepts. When you have two things that can wildly bend ones suspension of disbelief AND have gameplay fun enough to make people care more about the gameplay than something pesky like a deep, thoughtful story - you can use that setting to basically do anything.

Though I can say I agree with the idea of Doomslayer trying to escape from Hell. I say make that the greater focus. He has to find a way out of Hell, and he has to go to the darkest, weirdest places of Hell to find that exit. I agree that Doom 4's hell was a bit... bland. But I think they already have the right inspiration. Doom 4's artists mentioned artist Zdzisław Beksiński as a majour influence, and it *is* evident in the massive, monolithic skulls, dreary colouring, bone architecture and all that. But they shouldn't stop there. Go google his art and tell me you wouldn't want to see something comparable to that in Doom. I wanna walk into places that make me stop and say "What the fuck am I even looking at?" and never give me an answer because no human has ever explored there. I'm against making Doom a pure horror game, but I think it can still succeed at screwing with the player and making them look at jibbering, unholy nonsense that makes them feel out of place and uncomfortable. Hell, Doom I did it. I still remember my first time wandering around Mt. Erebus.

I'm getting long winded. The rest will be short. Another quick idea: Doom 4 clearly kept the idea of hell 'terraforming' places they invade. Let us explore other alien worlds and dimensions that have already been transformed, or even let us see a totally alien world also in the process of invasion. That could be fun!

As for the arsenal... same thing I said about setting. Keep the classics but don't feel free to explore further. I don't want to just see them just drudge up an Unmaker or a Soulcube, though I do think giving us Hell Weapons is a good idea to go with - especially with my desire to see lots more of Hell. Since the UAC has gone full cult... maybe show us weirder, more Hellish versions of tech based on Argent? I'm sure they must have existed.

Anyway, I've rambled enough. But I like speculating. So sue me.

Hopefully :

* Less repetitive arenas.
* Gun Glory kills (such as Plasma charge in mouth).
* Better placement for Powerups (not in the center or the entrance of an arena),
* less linear levels (not going straight forward and find the yellow card always).

Story can be whatever they want.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Hopefully :

* Less repetitive arenas.
* Gun Glory kills (such as Plasma charge in mouth).
* Better placement for Powerups (not in the center or the entrance of an arena),
* less linear levels (not going straight forward and find the yellow card always).

Story can be whatever they want.

I mostly agree with this. As for gun glory kills, I like to imagine those more for a Quake remake.

The constant arena fights do begin to drag, so some nice classic monster placements and traps to mix things up would be great.

I'm fine with the current level designs as they didn't feel too linear nor confusingly open to be a nuisance for me. Besides, I don't play doom for exploring, in fact that part really slowed the game down for me (trying to find all secrets) rather it's my desire to get into another fight and upgrade my equipment that kept my interest.

I imagine storywise, it might take up the extent of the Shores episode in the original doom. If the achievement for beating the game is to be taken seriously, Doom 2016 might be the first episode of the reboot "trilogy" maybe. (makes sense, since we got 13 levels in this game, the equivalent of an episode's length in the original doom.) The sequel coming up might take up the shores storyline, then it might do Inferno as the final doom for the moment. That's what I think they are doing with future doom sequels.

ZALGO said:

I imagine storywise, it might take up the extent of the Shores episode in the original doom. If the achievement for beating the game is to be taken seriously, Doom 2016 might be the first episode of the reboot "trilogy" maybe. (makes sense, since we got 13 levels in this game, the equivalent of an episode's length in the original doom.) The sequel coming up might take up the shores storyline, then it might do Inferno as the final doom for the moment. That's what I think they are doing with future doom sequels.

Not sure if I got the Knee-Deep in the Dead feel for the campaign.

However I would welcome some type of episodic trilogy. Perhaps they could do sp campaign on Phobos and Deimos for shits, then a final campaign in Hell. All this could be reminiscent to the classic game.

Honestly, a straight HD reboot of Classic Doom is better made by the fans IMO. I use to think otherwise however. If Id creates all the tools within SnapMap (classic HD textures, monsters, module editor) I could see it happening.

I'm wondering if they'll do a Hell-On-Earth type game next. It would make sense considering that's the setting of the original Doom 2. Apparently Doom 4 was supposed to be something along those lines, so it could be that the groundwork is already there.

My biggest question has been what are they going to call the bloody thing? If I have to refer to the sequel as Doom 2 2018 (or whatever), we'll be at a point the title is more numbers than letters.

greendingbat said:

I'm wondering if they'll do a Hell-On-Earth type game next. It would make sense considering that's the setting of the original Doom 2.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree. I do realize my opinion is an unpopular one, but I feel the opposite about revisiting the original Doom storyline. I'd rather see something new than a re-rendition of the originals. Let's go to the Moon, the Sun, the fucking void - anywhere but Earth.

ZALGO said:

(makes sense, since we got 13 levels in this game, the equivalent of an episode's length in the original doom.)

Uh... Last I checked, there were 9 levels in an original Doom episode, not 13...

MFG38 said:

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree. I do realize my opinion is an unpopular one, but I feel the opposite about revisiting the original Doom storyline. I'd rather see something new than a re-rendition of the originals. Let's go to the Moon, the Sun, the fucking void - anywhere but Earth.

Oh, I totally agree with you about not wanting to rehash old territory too much. I was just saying it seemed like a likely candidate.

A Doom game on the sun, though, THAT would be fucking brutal. XD

greendingbat said:

Oh, I totally agree with you about not wanting to rehash old territory too much. I was just saying it seemed like a likely candidate.

Ah, alright. My bad.

Singleplayer:

- Less arenas.
- More enemies.

Singleplayer and multiplayer:

- Faster speed & slides(like Vanquish!).
- Hayden's sword. :)

Multiplayer:

- More picking up guns, especially RL, Reaper, Chaingun and SSG!
- Server Browser and Kick-vote system.
- "Normal" CTF.

Snapmap:

- Stuff from DLC multiplayer maps of Doom 2016.

MFG38 said:

I honestly want to see places in space, like a moon base, in a quake game.
But what do i know? After all, my favorite id game is Quake 2.

DooM_RO said:

What are you talking about??

There's only really two or three maps that aren't linear outside the arenas.
More Foundry-type levels would be stellar. Hell is particularly linear, for the most part.

There are many things we could end up seeing. Earth, Moon, Demos if it is a separate place from hell, A UAC satellite facility. There are many options.

Indeed. We can wake up on Phobos & deimos easily, as well as various UAC settlements all over the solar system like Saturn's moons lo and titan.. Or abandoned orbital stations.. to various lost hell dimension rifts.. There are countless settings Doom can easily translate into after the way the plot "ended" or began I should say 😇

Flesh420 said:

There's only really two or three maps that aren't linear outside the arenas.
More Foundry-type levels would be stellar. Hell is particularly linear, for the most part.

Yeah, I noticed that the game was initially kinda open and became more straightforward as it went on, particularly with hell. Kinda disappointing. I think there's a lot of room for non-linearity in a potential sequel and I'm pretty sure most fans would agree.

On 1/3/2017 at 1:47 AM, AbsorbedHatch said:

Hopefully not down the toilet in terms of ratings. But that would be impossible, the game is great!

They have a winning formula that works, they just need to be able to keep it going while still feeling fresh. They managed to do that with an over 2 decade old game, they should be able to do with a game they made just last year.

A lot of people were jokingly hoping you could just leave your suit at the beginning and run around fighting demons in your undies. So the addition of a justinbailey-type hard mode would be pretty amusing.

Need more content!!!!!

More stuff made by Id means more stuff available for snap map.  But while were at it, I would love to see more leveling editing tools as well.  Imagine if users were able to upload their own modules?

The next Doom game will be a open-world zombie spinoff game called Doom: Survive. DOOM 3 will be made into a pachinko machine.