Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egg Boy

Where will Doom go next?

Preferring the wildly un-tight gameplay of the hell on earth starter pack to the fine-tuned machine of the original series is pretty much like preferring the transformer movies to the alien films. But oh well, each to their own I guess. 

No wait, don't you see? Every map from the classic series was made up of a just single room, apparently.

Ya, I don't see what good trying to drag brutal doom into this conversation is going to do, because all it's doing right now is pitting It against the classics in map design, which around here won't go well in BDooms favor. So before a flamewar get's started, I think most of us are in agreeance that we would like to see the non-linearity of the next Doom To be more like the earlier levels in D'16 rather than the later.

On 2017-3-17 at 5:10 AM, Zemini said:

Need more content!!!!!

More stuff made by Id means more stuff available for snap map.  But while were at it, I would love to see more leveling editing tools as well.  Imagine if users were able to upload their own modules?

You know I wouldn't be surprised if id software would release a "build your own module" tool in snapmap. No custom files but you can shape it and use existing textures. This may fit into the idea of minimal downloads for custom maps routine.

I think id Software already released lots of "addon" content (namely the MP DLCs and Arcade Mode). Although the MP is quite fun they Doom didn't became a popular eSports game. So if they're going to announce something it's likely Doom 2 or a SP DLC. 

Well I have always felt that most eSports games aren't really fun at all so Doom'16 suits me. I like games, not sports, you know, with all the rules and all. :)

Alright, I think it's time that I contribute to this thread! First of all, I'm looking for more monsters. I don't mean arachnotrons or chaingunners. I mean new monsters. I would also like a new setting. I don't want a Doom 2: Hell on Earth remake. Maybe a frozen planet, maybe some hellish mayan temples. In terms of the Slayer's arsenal, I would like a few additions, maybe some enhancements to the Doom 4 weapons.

On 5/9/2017 at 1:46 AM, RightField said:

Preferring the wildly un-tight gameplay of the hell on earth starter pack to the fine-tuned machine of the original series is pretty much like preferring the transformer movies to the alien films. But oh well, each to their own I guess. 

What do you mean by un-tight?

Well, I'm hoping personally that Robert Duffy can make what he said about Ryzen a reality :

"The additional threads and cores allow us to turn up a lot of things: better frame rates, more AI, more things happening in the game space, more simulations running, more realistic worlds."

As much as I want a Hell on Earth sequel already, I wouldn't mind waiting a little longer while so they can create a souped up graphics engine and combine it with advanced physics and better AI so that when Doom finally comes to Earth, it will be the most mind blowing Doom game ever made.

However, some SP DLC for the current Doom game would be nice too. Someone mentioned making a DLC similar to the Episode Thy Flesh Consumed to act as some sort of intermission between Doom 2016 and presumably Doom: Hell on Earth.

Something that I was thinking about the other day after playing Doom 2016 is how I wish that id had made Hell a little bit more gruesome and oppressive. Last year, I played Brutal Doom 64 and found the Hell sections to be extremely foreboding and oppressive, especially in one level where there was a room full of captured, mutilated UAC marines crying and shouting due to their torment. Seeing something similar in Hell in the next Doom game would really make Hell seem more like, well, Hell: a place were unfortunate souls go to be tortured and tormented for all eternity, not just a place where demons live.

4 hours ago, doom_is_great said:

Something that I was thinking about the other day after playing Doom 2016 is how I wish that id had made Hell a little bit more gruesome and oppressive. Last year, I played Brutal Doom 64 and found the Hell sections to be extremely foreboding and oppressive, especially in one level where there was a room full of captured, mutilated UAC marines crying and shouting due to their torment. Seeing something similar in Hell in the next Doom game would really make Hell seem more like, well, Hell

I doubt id wants to make Doom a disturbing expierence. Due to the success of Doom 2016 they will focus on the Action/Metal/Fatality route.

16 hours ago, Doomguy #876 said:

What do you mean by un-tight?

Uneven pacing, messy aesthetics, confusing level-layout, random sound-design, lacking cohesive design direction and uncomplimentary color and palette usage.

you can prefer it or not but the original does the opposite and plays like clockwork on all these aspects, which is why it still holds up today.

Several mega-wads also does a great job here, AV, Scythe 2, Valiant to name a few.

The reason Doom '16 SP was well received was because it did these things well.

But yeah. I'm done, I'm not gonna pick a discussion over this.

I have been asking this for awhile, but wish they could turn those beautiful MP maps into some singleplayer arcade mode. 

17 hours ago, Zemini said:

I have been asking this for awhile, but wish they could turn those beautiful MP maps into some singleplayer arcade mode. 

Yes please!