Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SFoZ911

C:/ Error when saving config.ini

I wasn't sure if I should post this here but I assumed some folks here might probably know how to overcome this issue. I recently had my hard drive replaced on my laptop and I when I try to save my Zdoom setting I keep getting the same error :

"The config file C:/Program Files(x86)/Zdoom-???ini.

The filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect".

I tried googling the problem but people only suggested to rename the file and move it into Program Files, which I obviously can't since it's in Zdoom.

This happens with DB2, GFCscape, VTFedit, Slade 3 and a couple of other file editing programs. I assume it has something to do with configuring something in the C Drive maybe?

Anyway maybe someone can help me get it to work, I really want to do some stuff for Doom.

Program Files is write protected. If you copy ZDoom there it will use the config file from your user data directory.

Apparently some tools you use never consider that and stupidly try to write to Program Files.

If you need this kind of access to ZDoom you should put it into a writable directory outside of Program Files.

Does the "???" text exactly match your username on the laptop? If not, rename it so that the file will be named "ZDoom-<yourusername>.ini". If yes, delete the file, ZDoom will re-generate it when you launch it next time.

scifista42 said:

Does the "???" text exactly match your username on the laptop? If not, rename it so that the file will be named "ZDoom-<yourusername>.ini". If yes, delete the file, ZDoom will re-generate it when you launch it next time.

No, the ??? is quoted like that, it's not my username. The Error appears when I exit Zdoom so any changes I made in the option menu(resolution, keys, etc..) are not applied and I need to do it over again. I think it might has something to do with Users maybe?