Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom 3 Textures for Doom

These are fantastically done, I especially love the smaller varieties that fit right in, dimension-wise, with the rest of Doom's textures. I want to see these being used in many maps. :D

GoatLord said:

Yeah. I would like to see smaller versions of them too, that fit Doom's scale.

They're in there, check the upload labeled "Small". They're great!

Hello hidfan,
a question please, are the graphics in the original (Doom3) size?
This would be very helpful for me.

Greetings
Miller

This is going to be a great way to add variety to future mods. I've been wanting to play with some new textures.

Ahh this is great. I'd really love to see some "Doom 3 in Doom" projects. Those converted enemy sprites from Doom 3 models look really good paired with Back to Saturn. The only Doom 3 weapon mod I could find requires an old version of ZDoom, though.

I never had the desire to play Doom 3. It looks pretty boring. But the art direction is quite good. (Despite being incredibly drab after the modern fashion, of course.)

Miller said:

are the graphics in the original (Doom3) size?

Yes, big ones are original doom3 size, small ones are doom1&2 size.

enderandrew said:

FWIW, it would be useful to have normal, height, spec maps as well.
Over on the ZDoom forums dpJudas was saying they'd need a working set of such maps to use as a basis if they wanted to try and add support for them in ZDoom/GZDoom.

Unpacking doom 3 (or any idTech4 game I guess) gives access to this kind of textures, (the ones I used to generate the lightbaked ones)
I don't think it's a good idea to host/post the original datas as it's accessible to anyone possessing the game.
-I remember someone started doing heightmaps for doom1 textures
-Quake Tenebrae engine was generating them automatically (using the texture as input for Diffuse, Normal, Spec. You won't have the best results but it works with everything (any existing mod) and gives a basic effect) if specific ones where not available, this could be done for this ZDoom feature.

Nice job! I suddenly feel like making something with these...

I've been waiting for something like this for a LOONG time, even started a thread for it. Not sure how well they are going to work along side the classic textures though. Are you going to convert them to the Doom pallete?

^ yeah in concerned about that.

Those flesh textures are going to look like chocolate sauce, the blue walls are going to be gray and those orange bars are probably gonna look like crap without a lot of extra dithering work. For example, the orange rust textures I made in Mutiny took a lot of work that you couldn't reproduce with a normal recoloring tool, and they came out grainy af. I felt it complemented the kind of aesthetic I was going for, I'm not sure it would hold up well with Doom 3 style stuff though.

I'm glad you're taking the time to do all this though. You're doing God's work.

If the textures were modified in such a way that they seamlessly fit alongside the originals then I would be forever grateful.

What about Doom 2016 textures?

A Doom­ 3 texture pack for Doom was way overdue, if you ask me. Well done!

Hello hidfan

A little test from me ...

My old version:

Mine and yours:

Your version:

Could it be that your version has lost some color and brightness?
That some shaders have been lost?
It looks almost like this ...

Nevertheless, very good work, Sir! Thanks!

Greetings
Miller

Fantastic work hidfan, a proper Doom size texture pack of Doom 3 will be extremely useful to those D3 style wads.

Very impressive dedication too, since there are a lot of textures, and I assume you had to use diffuse, normal and specular maps to achieve the final image, and also all in two different sizes.

Doom_RO :
-it's possible your thread inspired me to do this =)
-Doom 2016 textures are not accessible yet, and as they're baked in mega textures. I think this will be very complicated to do.

Miller :
You are right, the global lighting lowered contrast and saturation, it's a bit bland.
I aimed for a not too contrasted lighting, and as constant as possible between all textures, a bit in the spirit of the id's textures (especially quake 1 & 2 ones, doom still had some heavy contrasted things). So I tend to avoid black shadows as much as possible.
I think it's because a too much visible lighting (very true for very dark shadows that implies a big HDR range (direct sunlight) : a dark color or shadow on a wall, in a very bright sector or outside will stay very dark, and counter the environment lighting balance.
Most of the time this will make things less immersive (indoor, cloudy or in the shadow), you'll see things more like textures/drawings/paper on walls than architecture volumes and "real" materials.
It's hard to find the right balance for all textures at the same time.

-I wanted to do a "contrast" pass before moving to 256 colors, but I was too hungry/impatient and tired (so many dozen of hours in this project... for an average 5 minute per texture X 1650 = 140 hours minimum)
- Using the original Diffuse as a color layer can enhance things ( see below), but it removes some subtle realistic lighting effects at the same time, like looking up things are blueish, and looking down are more brown.
-I need additional experience on the conversion workflow.
The doom palette conversion doesn't work very well sometimes as everybody knows (for those damn blues and reds(flesh and blood) as mentioned by 40oz, or the low saturation greens. however oranges are surprisingly not working that bad).
-I now add some saturation before palette conversion, this makes colors (browns most of the time) more vibrants and almost existing in the palette, this creates more colors, subtle grey/brown mixes,(id's style) instead of full boring grey textures (but this can break the original design/spirit...well you can't win everywhere).
Maybe I'll have to reconvert some of the first paletted ones.

I'll probably do a V3 later, more color/contrast and a bit more arcady. I still need to play with these ingame to be sure of the best adjustments I could try to fit the rest of the world/monsters.

So going to a first full "usable" release has become the priority.
This is why I skipped the contrast pass : I need feedback like the one you did, or maybe other people playing with these textures, maybe starting making some first maps and raise problems.
I've done a first wad with the Hicolor ones, started a small map, but I'm a beginner (in some way because I did maps with DEU 5.4 when I was younger :D ) and I'm still quite slow at maping.
So the priority is set back to a first release.

For your test : your texture is the Hangar's Jumbo Door (dirty, more colors), and my one is the Jumbo Door (grey, blue, white, quite clean).
I used original colors, in this Jumbo Door texture, the marks and signs are white and not yellow for instance, I don't intend to modify those original colors, even if that's cool, the purpose of this conversion is to bake light on original ones, not alter them artistically, just technically.

to sum up, sorry for this long post : I agree on the low contrast/saturation issue, and will probably adress it later :).

here are some tests of mine, for the possible V3 adjustments ( :

Tip : four your own conversion technique, do not use the normal map directly, it's in openGL format (Y aiming down), so the lighting looks reversed.
So before using it, you have to do an inverse on the green channel (Direct X format), it will look more natural then.

Possibly stupid question but how do these textures look so crisp and high res? I mean Doom 3 is still a good-looking game but I remember many textures looking pixellated.

This door is one of the biggest textures. But Doom 3 is only twice the definition of doom.
To help compare resolutions (with some "V3 style" contrast adjustments )

Can you put a few of these textures side by side with some classic ones? Let's see how they fit together.

How about that door from the upper left corner and STARGR1?

I think getting this right will be important. I played a few mods with Doom 3 textures and while they were very impressive, the assets more often than not looked strange when put side by side with older textures.

Also, Doom 3 has a looot of textures so it might be a good idea to focus on just a few textures for now. I would focus on important stuff such as doors, metal panels and stuff like that. Just a suggestion.

This is just great, the textures look just fantastic and they are really high quality, we might use them for Darkmoon, since they look better than the ones we been using.

Thank you so much for the conversion!

Will there be a WAD/PK3 format for V3 for the sake of convenience? The need for TEXTURE1/2 is a nice thing for some folks but not necessary (unless demand comes from mappers)

Pretty happy with these, thanks for that

What are the chances of a couple of skies?

AMAZING!

Honestly shocked this hasn't been done sooner. There is so much good material in there. It just needs to be adapted!

After I finally finish my map series, this is going to be compulsory in my subsequent maps.

dt_ said:

What are the chances of a couple of skies?

I hope someone adapts these Doom 2016 skies, they could be useful assets. Doom 3 also had a couple of really good ones.

http://imgur.com/a/B9u87