Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hidfan

Doom 3 Textures for Doom

78380021e5c84ea82551730197a421827393a702

I must say that I am pretty stunned by how easy it is to create borderline Doom 3 like visuals with Gzdoom builder. I just recently started using it more than the normal Doom builder 2 and I am blown away by it. It would probably have taken me like 4x the time to make that scene in Doom3Edit.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, how much interest is there in Doom 3 style 3D models for use in level design among other mappers here? I am seriously tempted in using something like Misfit to create some of the 3D stuff that Doom builder can't normally do so that it can be used in levels like this. Stuff like safety rails, pipes, the tech stuff on the walls etc.

Edited by hardcore_gamer

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 0:17 AM, cortlong50 said:

wait one god damn minute.

how did you made the metal near the door? like the three areas jutting out on each side of the door on the left?  what!?

Hi,

Those are 3d slopes, let me know if you need any help creating them. They can be a bit of a learning curve at first, as you will want to at least have the concept of stacking 3d floors first before worrying about adding slopes to them as that parts easy.

About your previous post, feel free to post up any animated scripts you have and I'll see about adding them to the next pack.

The hi-res version is basically done though for the most part, aside from perhaps a couple sky textures and any other textures that hidfan may yet still introduce, this is why it's not an official pk3 release yet. ~ open for additions/suggestions. :)

Thanks

On ‎12‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 1:52 PM, hardcore_gamer said:

78380021e5c84ea82551730197a421827393a702

I must say that I am pretty stunned by how easy it is to create borderline Doom 3 like visuals with Gzdoom builder. I just recently started using it more than the normal Doom builder 2 and I am blown away by it. It would probably have taken me like 4x the time to make that scene in Doom3Edit.

EDIT: Just out of curiosity, how much interest is there in Doom 3 style 3D models for use in level design among other mappers here? I am seriously tempted in using something like Misfit to create some of the 3D stuff that Doom builder can't normally do so that it can be used in levels like this. Stuff like safety rails, pipes, the tech stuff on the walls etc.

It would interest me, though I don't speak for the community at large. I'm sure adding any such static or prop models "especially the bendy D3 style pipes" would definitely be a seriously nice addition!

14 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

It would interest me, though I don't speak for the community at large. I'm sure adding any such static or prop models "especially the bendy D3 style pipes" would definitely be a seriously nice addition!

That's pretty cool!

Normally it's not possible to create stuff like wall pipes (or if it is, I assume it's a massive pain), but unless I am mistaken it is possible to do this with a 3D model that has "NOGRAVITY" actor flag correct? The idea is to create a bunch of 3D models (pipes, tech pannels etc) and then assign them then nogravity flag. That way (correct me if I am wrong) they can have their Y height altered in the editor and thus be "placed" on the walls. Stuff like pipes would have to be build in a modular way, though.

Always nice to see new screens of levels <3
Mr Rocket, for your latest Doom palette conversion, did you use my current 256 png directory or did you use your own system ? How do you proceed for transparents?

Just now, hidfan said:

Always nice to see new screens of levels <3
Mr Rocket, for your latest Doom palette conversion, did you use my current 256 png directory or did you use your own system ? How do you proceed for transparents?

I used your current 256 png directory. Then converted them all to the doom color palette.

For the transparent textures, they use the cyan blue background found in classic Doom.

Not all the meant to be transparent textures are done yet though, most are.

Most textures look "ok" in the low color conversion, but some will need touched up.. eg florescent green pixels got left behind on some textures.

I used pink as transparency indicator. is another color more usefull, like the cyan ? If yes, I'll replace the pink.

The cyan in the doom color palette is the default transparency in classic Doom, so we have to use it.

playpal.zip

Edit:

Also for this wad version, any textures over 128 tall need to be resized to only 128 tall for walls.

Any textures that are 64x64 need to be floor textures or flats in doom terms. iow any floor specific floor textures need to be 64x64 only.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

New wad version of the D3_Retro project is out:

D3R_B2.wad

It's beta2 because it's not completely final yet.

There's a few textures yet that need updated to remove some florescent greens and a couple transparent textures still need to be done.

Aside from that, all textures are at the correct scale and color depth for classic Doom.

Let me know if you run into any issues other than what's mentioned above.

Thanks

Edit:

Going through them again, there's some ceiling lights and ones that match and a few others that are 128x but need to be flats, 64x64.

Expect them to be resized in the next/final wad version release.

Edited by Mr.Rocket

One thing that could be improved would be better texture sorting. So far, it's just one big folder with all the textures, very tedious to navigate. They should be split into 64x128, 128x128 and so on. They should also have subfolders for different styles such as UAC and Hell.

Edited by DooM_RO

1 hour ago, DooM_RO said:

One thing that could be improved would be better texture sorting. So far, it's just one big folder with all the textures, very tedious to navigate. They should be split into 64x128, 128x128 and so on. They should also have subfolders for different styles such as UAC and Hell.

Hi,

Other than changing all the names of the textures, how do you plan to do this task?

There are no scripts in a pwad.

If you are talking about the hi-res version however, no they shouldn't be split to match the size of the texture, they should be split up so you could see what's a wall, a floor, a trim, a tech and what's hell. however the names in the script would not tell me that. 

The issue you are getting into is rather trivial. when end-user will use them and maybe only a few to fill the needs of ones project. there is no need to split them up, instead just use what is available. As most mappers will only use so many they need. From that point they will only create a script and compile them into their project anyway.   

Aside from that, if or when you use them, the texture library will place the used textures at the top of the list. 

Eg, the more you use the textures, the better organized they become.

Thanks

28 minutes ago, Mr.Rocket said:

Hi,

Other than changing all the names of the textures, how do you plan to do this task?

There are no scripts in a pwad.

If you are talking about the hi-res version however, no they shouldn't be split to match the size of the texture, they should be split up so you could see what's a wall, a floor, a trim, a tech and what's hell. however the names in the script would not tell me that. 

The issue you are getting into is rather trivial. when end-user will use them and maybe only a few to fill the needs of ones project. there is no need to split them up, instead just use what is available. As most mappers will only use so many they need. From that point they will only create a script and compile them into their project anyway.   

Aside from that, if or when you use them, the texture library will place the used textures at the top of the list. 

Eg, the more you use the textures, the better organized they become.

Thanks

I meant that textures should be sorted according to how big they are. 64x64 go with that size, 64x128 with that size and so on, similar to how the Doom WADs separate textures based on whether they are Base, Brick, Computer, Doors, Flesh etc. But I suppose you are right.

It would be nice if they could sort both ways, though as far as I can tell the map editors will dominate by name before dimension.

Unlike in Windows, well Windows 10 for instance where the images can be sorted in groups by name and dimensions.

Anyways, here's Beta3 of the wad version:

I added over 200 flats in, so now the only thing that's needed is some tweaks to some of the textures that got borked up in color conversion and a few transparent textures.

D3R_B3.wad

5 hours ago, Mr.Rocket said:

It would be nice if they could sort both ways, though as far as I can tell the map editors will dominate by name before dimension.

Unlike in Windows, well Windows 10 for instance where the images can be sorted in groups by name and dimensions.

Anyways, here's Beta3 of the wad version:

I added over 200 flats in, so now the only thing that's needed is some tweaks to some of the textures that got borked up in color conversion and a few transparent textures.

D3R_B3.wad

Wouldn't it be possible to sort them manually?

One of the nice things about Gzdoom builder is that you can search textures by size. If I want to see only 128x64 textures for example I can just type in 128x64 into the size fields and only see those types of textures. I don't really understand why this isn't a basic feature in the original Doom builder 2.

2 minutes ago, DoodGuy said:

So, has anyone made a map using these textures yet?

I started working on a quick one yesterday. I intend to release it today but no later than tomorrow.

There's a few maps in the works using the hi-res version that I know of, including my own.

Hopefully no one is using the wad version so far to create anything as it's currently in development.

1 minute ago, Mr.Rocket said:

There's a few maps in the works using the hi-res version that I know of, including my own.

Hopefully no one is using the wad version so far to create anything as it's currently in development.

I actually am using that one. Sure, there are a ton of missing textures but this is a medium sized map. So far, the textures have been wonderful.

56 minutes ago, DoodGuy said:

So, has anyone made a map using these textures yet?

My current plan is to first create some 3D models that I can use to create some of the more advanced architecture that isn't possible to do with just sectors or fake 3D (3D floors). I don't feel it's possible to create proper Doom 3 style levels without doing so. Obviously I won't re-create every last little thing there was in the original but I will try to re-create the most memorable/best looking pieces. After that I will probably make and release a level, and then afterward the 3D models themselves in a separate pk3 in case other mappers want to use them.

Ok here's Beta4 of the wad version.

D3R_B4.wad

Next version after this is basically clean up to those pesky textures with the florescent green noise..

Also noted* about DRBHGR, thanks DooM_RO.

It will be in the next version.

Cheers!

Edited by Mr.Rocket

There needs to be a community project around this. I have a map in the works. 8 maps would be great.

If there was a community project of D3 Retro, it would be best to use the wad version.

Because the hi-res version is around 100mb as is, and the wad version is around 18mb.

Unfortunately there would be no brightmaps or animation in the wad version. :\ 

Just now, Mr.Rocket said:

If there was a community project of D3 Retro, it would be best to use the wad version.

Because the hi-res version is around 100mb as is, and the wad version is around 18mb.

Unfortunately there would be no brightmaps or animation in the wad version. :\ 

Doesn't matter. I actually find the pixel version of the textures to be better than their original counterparts. I'm sure a lot of people share my sentiments. Good pixel art ages very gracefully while high res stuff ages a lot worse.