Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

doom 2 enemy wads

Does the Pain Elemental count as a "Doom 2 only" monster? Technically the answer is yes, but since it spits out Lost Souls...

had not thought of that but lets say yes. as long as no doom 1 monsters are placed, but if one appears because of PE or spawn cube than that is ok

I don't know of any, but I do question if any such map would actually be that fun to play. The addition of Doom 2 monsters was to add to and shore up holes in the Doom 1 bestiary. They presume that the Doom 1 monsters exist, removing them would leave new, more glaring holes.

Also, how do Pain Elementals work in that case?

A mapset containing only Doom 2 monsters? So no zombies (yay), no cyberdemons (dang), no SM (woohoo), no Barons (i approve the removal of this bullet sponge), no imps (darn it), no pinkies (damn), no lost souls (yes).

Seems like a map with Doom 2 monsters will be significantly harder.

will lost souls would appear, but only if spawned by PEs, the lack of shotgunguy and zombieman would make things harder for the player i think, since there would be less shells and ammo available

Voros said:

So no zombies (yay)

We still got those lovely chaingunners ;)

raymoohawk said:

will lost souls would appear, but only if spawned by PEs, the lack of shotgunguy and zombieman would make things harder for the player i think, since there would be less shells and ammo available

Each shotgun guy killed yields only 4 shells. There would not be a major decline.

Chord_ng is actually close to this. It has a few demons and quite a few barons, but other than that most of the monsters are chaingunners, revenants and HKs. And when remembering it while posting this, I didn't remember the Doom 1 monsters being there. I think it's a good example of this being possible. The map was hard.

raymoohawk said:

Hitscan enemies are far more dangerous than projectile enemies. On the contrary, if the zombies are gone, the mapper should have the right sense to sprinkle the map with shells and bullets. Naturally.

@unf somethings just won't go.

Sesq said:

Each shotgun guy killed yields only 4 shells.

Each shotgun guy dies after taking less than 1/2 or 1/3 of the damage done by a single shell shot. In other words, killing each shotgun guy yields multiple times more ammo than how much it takes to kill him. That's what makes him a notable ammo generator, the more notable the more shotgun guys are in the map. Similarly with zombiemen, though their ratio of ammo / health is lesser.

Probably some of the maps in Chillax, The Great Bicicle mystery and others qualify.

For the community project, is the SSG gonna be the only weapon allowed? :P

[I'm now imagining a goofy DEHACKED patch that replaces fist and pistol with SSG. And all other weapons, too. Because SSG.]

Xaser said:

For the community project, is the SSG gonna be the only weapon allowed? :P

I just had this same thought, heh. Nothing but Doom2 assets across the board. A few maps of SSG-only might be neat, but an entire mega-WAD would probably get old, unless all the maps are small and quick.

Uhh, what other objects are exclusive to Doom 2? Seems like there will be no keys, no ammo pickups, no trees and most of decorations...

Frisky said:

You're asking the impossible.

I wasn't being serious anyway, but I don't see what's impossible about it. Doom2 added a lot of textures and flats, certainly enough to work with.

Memfis said:

Uhh, what other objects are exclusive to Doom 2? Seems like there will be no keys, no ammo pickups, no trees and most of decorations...

Also no player starts. :)

That's a strange limitation but making a fun map with only Doom 2 monsters would be easier than mapping for UDoom. The only enemies of value lost would be the Caco and Cyber, but every other role is filled fine by Doom 2 dudes.