Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

Combat shotgun explosive shot = unbalanced?

The supershotgun is a piece of shit. I dont know how such a great demon slaying tool fucking sucks and killing marines.

I figured out how to not suck by changing my loadout to the wimpy looking weapons that you unlock layer because the default start weapons you pick from are so watered down, its sickening. I dont enjoy the multiplayer because it seems like none of the attributes of the single player campaign carry over to the multiplayer.

Yeah I really don't see how the super shotty is obsolete. It might not be as stupidly overpowered as the original--and c'mon, plenty of fans even today complain about that aspect--so for it to be a bit less devastating here makes sense. It's a great equalizer when baddies are getting a bit too close for comfort, and you can just spray them with buckshot. It's satisfying. And as mentioned, the combat shotgun has a cooldown period, which is excruciatingly long when you first acquire the mod. I'd say it's pretty balanced!

I don't know, I wound up using the SSG more than any other weapon, especially once I upgraded it all the way. It's fun to jump and double-tap Barons in the head with the SSG.

Well, it requires you to aim vertically, when most enemies move horizontally. And the cooldown is still long when you have more demons to deal with. During the cooldown, moving in for a regular shot is more recommended, then waiting for the next explosive shot.

I won't agree with this.

The SSG IS pretty badass thus making it one of my most favourite weapons in Doom 2016.

Protip: SSG + Quad Damage = ONE SHOT KILLED A MANCUBUS!

AbhinandAnilDoomguy said:

I won't agree with this.

The SSG IS pretty badass thus making it one of my most favourite weapons in Doom 2016.

Protip: SSG + Quad Damage = ONE SHOT KILLED A MANCUBUS!

Have you played on Nightmare yet? Because even on Hurt Me Plenty, getting into point-blank range of a Mancubus is something I typically do not want to do. And if that's not bad enough, SSG can only get max damage on a Mancubus' belly, not its head. In Kadingir Sanctum, I use a combination of Cluster Strike and Lock-On Burst to stagger Mancubi, but once I get Precision Bolt, two full power shots to the face is my way to go. For Cyber Mancubi I do Headshot => Cluster Strike => Headshot.

P.S.: Cluster Strike + Quad Damage also = One shot Mancubus kill.

Ya, I would say the explosive shot might be a tad unbalanced in single player, but it's hella fun. 3 round burst is only really usefull in arcade mode from my experience. SSG is incredibly good, if used normally it provides great stun, and when upgraded all the way it does massive damage. When used for quick switching it's a monster combo weapon, especially when in conjunction with regular shotty, going explosive shot, regular shot, quick switch to ssg and double tap it. That kills most enemies If I remember correctly, been a little while.

It IS unbalanced. It uses less ammo than Triple Shot and does more overall damage. It's a nobrainer.

The Triple Shot could be improved by modifying/adding a perk so that it has twice the effective range and maybe also increasing the load time for Explosive Shot.

That way the Combat Shotgun could have two long-range capabilities. One that has better range versus a quick burst. This would also alleviate the complaints of some people who think the range of the Shotgun is too low.

Aaaaaah, how I wish I had modding tools. I would make so many small but important changes.

DooM_RO said:

It IS unbalanced. It uses less ammo than Triple Shot and does more overall damage. It's a nobrainer.

The Triple Shot could be improved by modifying/adding a perk so that it has twice the effective range and maybe also increasing the load time for Explosive Shot.

That way the Combat Shotgun could have two long-range capabilities. One that has better range versus a quick burst. This would also alleviate the complaints of some people who think the range of the Shotgun is too low.

Aaaaaah, how I wish I had modding tools. I would make so many small but important changes.

The Explosive Shot is fine as is, imo. At range, the shot needs to be arced, and aiming for a direct hit is recommended only on enemies which are not as evasive. Imps do not need to be clustered, but you can go for a Cluster Strike if they are charging up a fireball. The real mistake, was giving a triple shot burst to a gun that fires pellets in a widening cone. Charged Burst should be replaced with something I would call "Focused Stream". A tightened spread that can fire a single shot, but also multiple shots with automatic fire, higher fire rate, lower recoil, and an overheat mechanic. Replace Speedy Recovery with an upgrade that allows more shots before overheating and reduces overheat cooldown time. Replace Quick Load with Instant Load. And the Mastery should be something that increases damage for each time every pellet hits a single target, damage gets reset for an imperfect shot, and damage increase is capped at super shotgun pellet damage.

the ssg upgraded at its fullest is overpowered can two/three-shoot everything and shoot very fast with its double shoot

I have to say, during my UV run I didn't use the triple shot much. I'm going through it again on Nightmare and I'm planning to experiment to see if it can be used effectively.

I used triple shot extensively when I ran the game on nightmare. The mastery bonus makes it do tons of damage, one or two regular shots followed by it can take out a hellknight.

In my revised run on any difficulty, I use the Triple Shot exactly once: on the Spectre at the beginning of Necropolis, after stunning it. And the only reason I use it, is to prevent from killing the Unwilling, because I need to keep them alive to complete the barrel challenge.

I actually like both mods for the shotgun explosive/triple shot. But it gets put aside once you get the super shotgun, especially when you're able to fire it twice. Such a beast of a weapon.

I went through the entire campaign on UV blind using only the SSG upgraded. It's NOT obsolete. In fact it is straight up OP. You can kill barons in 4 shots, which coupled with the fast reload, the piercing capabilities, AND the 2 shots before reloading, makes the barons a piece of cake. Even against the bosses it's quite powerful (Only exception is the Spiderdemon but it still does reasonable damage against her.)