Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reisal

Regarding Mods & Maps on DropBox accounts

Since I don't see something similar to this on the forum I might as well cross-post it here since not everyone visits the ZDoom forums..

Kinsie on ZDoom forums said:

As of March 15 2017, Dropbox will be ceasing support for Public Folders for free users. If you use a Public folder, it'll automatically be turned into a standard, private folder on that date. If you use the Public folder to host your mods, your link will break at that time. Which might suck!

You can create a share link to a file in a private folder and it will still work, so this isn't the end of the world. It does, however, add a few additional, annoying steps to using Dropbox to share your work here. You might also consider alternate file hosting, but keep in mind: you get what you pay for...

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean all is safe for paid users either..

Techokam on ZDoom forums said:

FYI, if you think paying for Dropbox to keep the Public Folder functionality is a good solution, it is not. The feature will be taken away from paid customers (Pro and Business) on September 1, 2017. Source.

Ladies and gents, it's time to use something in place of DropBox before those dates come..

This should be stickied so it doesn't get buried underneath everything else since I'd hate to see people lose access to their content on DropBox.

This only affects people who use public folders, which isn't most of us. From the sounds of it, it might destroy DropBox's use for huge projects with tens of hands in the pot, so to speak, but most projects are managed and compiled by a single person anyway...

How much would it cost for Doomworld to have its own permament WAD sharing system? Maybe with something like trusted users, so you can't just register and upload 5 GB, but once you prove you're normal you can upload WADs of reasonable size all you want.

Memfis said:

How much would it cost for Doomworld to have its own permament WAD sharing system? Maybe with something like trusted users, so you can't just register and upload 5 GB, but once you prove you're normal you can upload WADs of reasonable size all you want.

Ling didn't accept money to keep DW from going under (probably the smarter move, tbh), I doubt he'd want to bring more money into play.

Memfis said:

DW miiiiiiight have something like that in the future. Emphasis on the iiiiiiiiii

I though at first he meant something like /idgames, but then I noticed he probably wanted something HTTP-based and easier to use, not like /idgames.

It sounds like the process for creating a shared link is essentially the same as for using "copy public link," so the only problem is that all valid links will change on March 17th and we'll have to recopy them, right? If there's any larger issue, I haven't been able to figure out what it is yet.

Not Jabba said:

the only problem is that all valid links will change on March 17th and we'll have to recopy them, right? If there's any larger issue, I haven't been able to figure out what it is yet.

A bunch of links will be broken. If the user isn't aware of this or doesn't visit the forum anymore, whatever people have posted will be broken forever.

That said, I'm pretty sure anything big enough to be missed was or will be posted to idgames.

Albertoni said:

A bunch of links will be broken.

This is the real trouble-spot. There's inevitably going to be a bunch of link rot as a result of this.