Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LGN-76

Half the textures won't load

This is a continuation of the following thread:
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-2016-general/90787-this-will-probably-end-up-being-labeled-a-lost-cause-but-ill-ask-for-help-anyway/
I didn't wanna bump it since it's over 3 months old, but I still wanna try and get the game running on my laptop. Why? Because I wanna be able to play every DOOM game* on the PC (which is by far my preferred gaming platform), and I'm being extremely stubborn over it because I've seen the laptop play the game before A-OK.

Now, I was able to stop the loading screen freezes by setting Rendering Method from Gritty back to Default. Sorry but I didn't think that option made much of a difference until then.

The only problem that remains, is that when I get into a level, half the textures are missing, and I can see stuff (sky, monsters, rooms, etc.) that should normally be blocked off. This happens even after I do a fresh re-install of the game and also after a recent reformat, as well as verifying the local game files and cache.

There's gotta be a way to fix this, because like I said, there were times when the laptop ran the game perfectly. My laptop's specs are downloadable in the old thread. The missing textures happens on both OpenGL 4.5 and Vulkan.

*except the DOOM RPGs. I CANNOT STAND turn-based RPGs!

I don't even think the Quadro series was meant for heavy duty gaming to begin with. That GPU is a workstation card and not really a gamer card based on doing some Googling.

You might just want to build a desktop for gaming.

Glaice said:

I don't even think the Quadro series was meant for heavy duty gaming to begin with. That GPU is a workstation card and not really a gamer card based on doing some Googling.

You might just want to build a desktop for gaming.

That's the video card on my desktop, not my laptop. I have no intention of running the game on my current desktop as it's too old.

The laptop is what I wanna get it running on. It has AMD Radeon R5 Graphics.

Sorry for bumping this thread, but I'm still hell-bent on trying to get the game to work right on my laptop! Once again, if it ran the game fine before, it can do so again...

I will say this: I mentioned this in another thread, but since I bought a new video card for my desktop, that computer is now able to run the game. It's not full speed, but at least it's playable, and no missing textures or any of that crap either. Thus my laptop is no longer the only way I'm able to play DOOM 2016 on PC. Still though, it'd be nice to have the game working on two computers, especially if I can carry one of them around in my backpack...

Oh and one more thing: I have to run the game on my laptop with Vulkan from now on. Every time I try to load a level with OpenGL 4.5 now, it'll always freeze at 79%.

"Once again, if it ran the game fine before, it can do so again..."

Well, you may be wrong there. For one, the file size of Doom has ballooned since it was released, I think it started at 60GB and now it's over 90GB. Can't say if any changes made since release would affect your performance, but it's possible. And it's also possible that you overheated your laptop at some point, and it's not capable of running the game properly. Or you installed something else that's conflicting with the game. There's quite a few reasons why you may have been able to play the game before, but can't now. Have you upgraded your video drivers since it was running properly? Have you tried uninstalling the new drivers and going back to a version that did work with the game?

Thanks for trying to help Jello, but I finally gave up on this last night. I posted this same question on Steam, along with my specs, and they easily declared that my laptop was nowhere near the minimum system requirements for the game.

This doesn't bar me from playing DOOM 2016 though. Once again, my desktop isn't much better meeting the system requirements for the game, but at least it runs on there decently, with no glaring issues besides framerate. I do own the game for the PS4 as well.