Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

Are the retail versions of Doom still available?

Are the original copies still available in stores?? I recently found an empty cover box of The Ultimate Doom on my friend's attic yesterday.

Last time they were sold in stores in their original form was probably ~2003 with the Collector's Edition. Although the classic game was sold in stores as part of the Doom 3 BFG Edition rerelease (2012).

Maybe you can find the BFG Edition hiding on a shelf somewhere but it's going to be a lot easier to just buy a copy off eBay or buy the Steam versions.

BFG edition are in stores other than that XBox Collectors Edition of Doom 3. Its tough to even find PC games anymore outside of a tiny section at Walmart and even Gamestop. Original DOOM Boxes were just too big to fit on modern shelves. Last Doom I remember in stores was the Ultimate DOOM 2 Master Level Bundle.

Even the Steam versions of most of the games don't run "out of the box."

From an company's point of view, distributing a game over 20 years old, that runs on an antiquated OS (which is also not user-friendly), consisting of a size less than 20 MB in a CD would be inefficient, unnecessary and worthless. Since it's less than 20 MB, a digital download would suit it best, as it already is on Steam, GOG etc.

But it can come as bundles like others have already said.

I'm more interested on how your friend has an empty Ultimate Doom cover box.

I'm not sure BFG Edition actually had any retail versions either, and even if it did, likely encrypted with Steam's custom file format and not very useful directly.

If you're looking for the games, just do Steam or GOG. If you're looking to collect, eBay, Amazon, etc :P

chungy said:

I'm not sure BFG Edition actually had any retail versions either, and even if it did, likely encrypted with Steam's custom file format and not very useful directly.

It was released to retail on PC and as one might expect, it uses Steam.

Vermil said:

It was released to retail on PC and as one might expect, it uses Steam.

Very true, as I own a retail PC copy. But truthfully, when I buy those retail PC games that rely on Steam, I only open the case so I can enter the code and just download the game, then I keep the disc safe and sound.

Off-Topic (sort of): I was planning on buying Diablo III and Reaper of Souls via retail disc a while ago so it would match my Diablo Battle Chest, which has Diablo I, II, and Lord of Destruction. But one day I went to Target in order to find a retail PC copy of Skyrim Legendary Edition (again, so it would match my disc copies of Morrowind GOTY and Oblivion GOTY). I bought Skyrim, but I couldn't find Diablo III, except for game card to download the Ultimate Evil Edition (Diablo III + Reaper of Souls). I just figured "What the hell..." so I just bought the card, downloaded the game, and now the card sits inside my Battle Chest, completing it...