Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LexiMax

The end of ZDoom

Coraline said:

As long as someone believes in it, whether it is just me or a handful of people, the port will live on. Shit, the only reason I didn't just continue using the name EDGE was because I was already working on it before EDGE formally died. If I would have known, I would have just kept the name and called it a day. Oh well, 3DGE is EDGE no matter how it's painted. ^_^

Why not rename it back to EDGE? Personally I thought that was a better name anyway.

Death Egg said:

Why not rename it back to EDGE? Personally I thought that was a better name anyway.

Maybe because she would have to get andrewj's OK on this.

Honestly, I really like the 3DGE name and pronouncing it Threedge, despite others' opinions.

GZDoom seems to be working fine again on the laptop. Rest well, ZDoom. You did a good job.

(Also classic ZDoom helped discover a very obscure thing recently, which is that DEHACKED patches had better end their lines with CRLF and not just LF; the latter can result in strange behaviour with strings. I discovered this when trying to load Freedoom with classic ZDoom and discovered all the custom strings were missing their final characters ... not sure if there's any other ports this happens with, but it's an interesting thing to be aware of)

On 15.3.2017 at 5:35 PM, Amarande said:

GZDoom seems to be working fine again on the laptop. Rest well, ZDoom. You did a good job.

(Also classic ZDoom helped discover a very obscure thing recently, which is that DEHACKED patches had better end their lines with CRLF and not just LF; the latter can result in strange behaviour with strings. I discovered this when trying to load Freedoom with classic ZDoom and discovered all the custom strings were missing their final characters ... not sure if there's any other ports this happens with, but it's an interesting thing to be aware of)

What version was the string thing happening with? There was a bug in the string class some time back that cut off the last character from any string table string, of course with the added CR in there this got cut away resulting in the text remaining intact. This has been fixed already so I'm not sure it is the same issue.

OK, I just read this today, and after reading through the thread in the ZDoom forums, I still have a little doubt.

I saw some comments, especially at the end, about ZDoom 2.8.1 being the last one. Obviously, ZDoom will never see a 3.x version, but I saw comments about "releases" coming out "recently" ("just last month" or something like that). Will this be like, released as v. 2.8.2 or whatever, or is ZDoom 2.8.1 the final version we can expect?

Sorry if I missed something, and a lot of thanks to Randi for an amazing piece of work.

EDIT: I also mention it because in the ZDoom wiki, in the versions page, there is still a section called Next Version, so I thought there was still some ongoing work regardless.

There won't be any new ZDoom releases. But ZDoom has child ports which still see further development.

GZDoom and QZDoom will actually see new releases, which also includes improvements of the software renderer.

Following GZDoom's 2.4 release, which should happen soon, ZDoom.org will be dedicated more or less exclusively to GZDoom and QZDoom with ZDoom as a historical (and namesake) interest.

Once GZDoom 2.5/3.0 come out (whatever comes after 2.4), the site will probably be exclusively dedicated to GZDoom from that point on, with ZDoom and QZDoom both being more of a historical interest (but QZDoom will still maintain devbuilds to test more wild and unsure features - and also because its devbuild cycle is *much* faster than GZDoom's due to being manual and not automated).

That is the plan, anyway. Something else may happen that will cause QZDoom to stay on the front page, but I haven't had as much motivation to work for it lately as before. If I need to change something in the software renderer, I now make those changes directly to GZDoom since it now includes it post-2.4. The "big goal" for QZDoom right now is a netcode implementation that, with all the advances in scripting lately, actually include some sort of sync engine similar to Skulltag/Zandronum but hopefully not as invasive into the code and action functions.

This planned netcode implementation will still support multiplayer coop save/load, right?

I know I already mentioned this somewhere else, but i'd still like confirmation...

I have not decided yet, that's why I never answered. Keep in mind the whole thing hasn't transitioned past the stage of being an idea, yet...

I want to do it and I do think it will help GZDoom but at the same time deprecating the old deterministic netinterface can cause its own problems too - despite the problems it causes particularly in ZScript just by continuing to exist.

It will probably have to be done one way or another eventually, anyway, though, even if GZDoom never becomes a multiplayer-centric port (and probably never should, since Zandronum already takes care of that).