Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JagDogger2525

Slade 3.1.1.4 - Respawn Limit/Time MAPINFO

Hey all,

I would like to know about the respawn code.
Here is my 13 lines of code I have in the MAPINFO text.

map E1M1 "Level Name"
levelnum 1
next EndGame
exitpic interpic
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 1
par 600
music D_ADRIAN
NoInfighting
ClipMidTextures
//RespawnLimit 1
CyberdemonSpecial
SpecialAction_OpenDoor
As you see, RespawnLimit is commented out because when I try and activate it, or RespawnTime, GZDoom g2.2.0 crashes and would like to know how do I use the RespawnLimit and RTime in the MAPINFO?

Both RespawnLimit and RespawnTime turn blue so it does see them but how to manipulate it?

If I am not able to put it in the MAPINFO, then I might as well put it into the scripts, as shown on the link below:
https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Skill_definition

MAPINFO is for more than just maps. RespawnLimit and RespawnTime are properties of a skill definition, not a map definition. You try to put them in a map definition and so you get an error message that aborts startup.

It's not a crash by the way. A crash is when you get a message box that tells you that the game has crashed. When the game itself tells you that it cannot load because of errors, it's not a crash.

Gez said:

MAPINFO is for more than just maps. RespawnLimit and RespawnTime are properties of a skill definition, not a map definition. You try to put them in a map definition and so you get an error message that aborts startup.

It's not a crash by the way. A crash is when you get a message box that tells you that the game has crashed. When the game itself tells you that it cannot load because of errors, it's not a crash.

Whoops, my bad - about the error and crash difference

Where would I put the script then if it doesn't go in the script?

Gez said:

It's still in MAPINFO. You'll have something like the first example.

OMG - and I didn't even freaking know this - How did I not even know this this whole freaking time? I have been looking at all these bracketed items and I didn't even know where they went since I was doing the above for YEARS now

Thank you

I tried it in it's own text and doesn't work. How to use the MAPINFO to make it work?

I am still unable to get it to work - what am I doing wrong?

Once I know how to figure this skill change out, this should be it for a while.

JagDogger2525 said:

I tried it in it's own text and doesn't work. How to use the MAPINFO to make it work?

I am still unable to get it to work - what am I doing wrong?

Can't figure out what you did wrong without looking at your newest MAPINFO to see what you actually did.

scifista42 said:

Can't figure out what you did wrong without looking at your newest MAPINFO to see what you actually did.

episode E1M1
name "Episode Name"

map E1M1 "Level Name"
levelnum 1
next EndGame
exitpic interpic
sky1 SKY1 0
cluster 1
par 600
music D_ADRIAN
TotalInfighting
ClipMidTextures
CyberdemonSpecial
SpecialAction_OpenDoor

clusterdef 1
flat FLOOR4_8
music D_VICTOR
exittext "Insert Text Here"

//Skills
skill name
{
   AmmoFactor = 2
   FastMonsters
   DisableCheats
   RespawnTime = 12
   RespawnLimit = 2
   SpawnFilter = Nightmare
   Name = "Name Difficulty"
   MustConfirm
   Key = "n"
}

This is my entire MAPINFO (Above '//Skills' is tweaked, along with 'skill name' and the skill name that will be displayed, so I do not give anything away YET - Everything works up until it hits the skill area then GZDoom gives an error)

Skill tweaked from Nightmare Example from: https://zdoom.org/wiki/MAPINFO/Skill_definition

The problem is that you are mixing old and new MAPINFO syntax within the same file. New syntax uses curly brackets to enclose blocks and equals characters to assign values, whereas old syntax does not. Choose one syntax, preferably the new one, and stick to it.

scifista42 said:

The problem is that you are mixing old and new MAPINFO syntax within the same file. New syntax uses curly brackets to enclose blocks and equals characters to assign values, whereas old syntax does not. Choose one syntax, preferably the new one, and stick to it.

OMG - I am shaking here - I can't believe that was it - I guess I'll be using the NEW syntax from now on

Thank you SO much

And to have it as one of the main skills, change 'name' in the 'skill name' before the brackets to one of the skills (baby, easy, normal, hard, nightmare)