Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Memfis

GZDoom can't read *.deh from the zip?

When I put Strain in zipped form on gzdoom.exe it doesn't load the *.deh file. Seems a little weird for such an advanced port. Is there some reason for this?

I have GZDoom 2.1.9999.0 dated April 13, 2016. I suppose I can try the latest version too.

edit: OK, same problem with 2.3.1.

Internally it only looks for lumps named 'dehacked'. And now guess what it finds: dehacked.txt and dehacked.exe.

It's one of those cases where it's impossible to decide what to do.

What would GZDoom do if there was only dehacked.exe?

EDIT: I misunderstood the problem, I thought GZDoom failed to parse dehacked.txt because there was another file with "dehacked" in its name, I didn't realize that dehacked.txt was not the actual dehacked file either.

Hmm, is it a dangerous idea to load a *.deh file if it is found? No matter what it's called. At least in the case when there is only one *.deh file so it is clear what to load and in what order.

The Dehacked loader right now only looks at the 8 character short names which obviously won't find it.

Do not place funny files in your PK3 archives. And if you're trying to play an /idgames ZIP, know that it wasn't meant to be loaded as-is, but rather extracted.

To be more precise: *ZDoom will load strain.deh or whatever it's named if and only if it doesn't find a file named dehacked. The presence of dehacked.exe and dehacked.txt makes the loader go "I found a file named dehacked, therefore there is no need to look for files with the .deh or .bex extensions" and then since dehacked.txt and dehacked.exe are not actually dehacked patches the parsing will go "nevermind, those aren't valid" but at this point it's not looking at the alternative anymore.

Simple solution: remove the dehacked files from the zip.

Gez said:

During startup, the console shows "adding dehacked patch strain.zip:strain.wad:dehacked"

That text didn't show up anywhere in my startup log when I launched STRAIN.zip in GZDoom 2.3.1.

Okay. As a disclaimer I used a strain.zip I already had on my harddrive that I'm pretty sure comes from DSDA, but I haven't redownloaded it because I have a rather low download quota so I'm not downloading anything unless really needed.

However, I found out that automatically loading .deh or .bex files is disabled by default. You need to type "dehload 1" in the console, then quit and try again.

Oh, that's very nice to know. This will solve the problem in most cases except for these old wads that actually come with DEHACKED.EXE.