Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
t3hPoundcake

Floor raise to 8 below highest adjacent floor?

Hey guys Poundcake here with another stupid question! Thanks to everyone who has been so helpful on my endeavor to learning how to make decent maps btw.

Alright so is there a way to make a floor raise to 8 units below the next adjacent floor? I have a pit of lava that I want to raise up, but it looks out of place if there's no height difference between the pit of lava and the regular ground around it.

One possible idea I have is to make a very small ring around the pit, and give that the lava texture as well, and then make a short brick wall or something around that smaller ring so it will look realistic when it raises. This will work okay for the current area, but this is in an arena and being able to move around smoothly without getting caught on anything is an issue, also for future applications it may not be acceptable to have that extra ring, as it will be visible.

There doesn't seem to be a floor action for this. I've tried the "raise by 512" action and that works when you set the heights correctly, but I actually have 4 linedefs that can trigger this raise so when you're running around the arena the pit of lava will end up raising by 512 3 more times. So that won't work. Thanks.

Use "floor raise by value" (i think that's what it's called) if you are using UMDF format. i don't use any other format so if your not using UMDF i don't know.

Memfis said:

You can typically raise a floor to any arbitrary value by using the "raise to lowest ceiling" action. Are you familiar with joined sectors? Here is an example: http://www.doomshack.org/uploads/raiseto8belowhighest.zip

GAH of course. I just used this trick to get a lift working too. Thank you.

MinerOfWorlds said:

Use "floor raise by value" (i think that's what it's called) if you are using UMDF format. i don't use any other format so if your not using UMDF i don't know.

What are the downsides to using UDMF?

t3hPoundcake said:

What are the downsides to using UDMF?

Only works in ZDoom and derivative ports that support UDMF format. Also you'd have to convert your map to UDMF if you wanted to switch.

As for a solution to your other problem Memfis's answer should work well enough. Although if you want a more customizable approach and are mapping for Boom format you can use a generalized linedef type, and do some sort of raise to "next" floor action with a joined sector. This would also let you control speed of the movement and whether you wanted to change the texture, the sector effect, or both.