Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Empyre

Can I put more than one action on a line?

scifista42, in another thread said:

SetLineTexture doesn't identify linedefs via their tags, it does so via their line IDs (which are neither tags nor linedef indexes). In UDMF, you set line IDs directly. In Hexen format, you need to use Line_SetIdentification on the line itself, as in, actually put it onto the line as the line's own action (instead of the switch action) just to give it a line ID, and then (if you want the linedef to actually be a switch) assign the switch action to the line via SetLineSpecial, which also uses line IDs to identify lines.

Can this be used to make a line be both translucent and scrolling? Last year, I tried and failed to make a line like that. I finally gave up and made a translucent line in front of a scrolling line, which looks pretty good, but it wasn't what I originally wanted to do.

While we're at it, it would be awesome if there were a way to make both sides of a line scroll (not necessarily the same line as the one in my previous question).

I tried both of these things in Doom-in-Hexen, but I am planning to upgrade to UDMF, so an answer for how to do it in UDMF would be very much appreciated.

In UDMF you can set translucency and line ID as a direct property, so they won't take up the special.

If you want to do more complex scrolling, you can start a script with multiple Scroll_Wall specials, this allows per-tier and per-side scrolling, but due to the setup involved cannot be set on the map directly.

Yes is possible via "acs scripting". but have no idea how the script must look i never write script before.

I am trying to avoid using scripts in my maps for fear that they might step on the toes of a mod that uses scripts, and I want my maps to compatible with all mods.

Is there a range of script numbers "reserved" for maps that mod makers avoid so that mappers can use them, or conversely a range that mappers avoid so that mod makers can use them?

Mods these days use named scripts and they have to account for maps with scripts. The low numbers should be safe, unless some really stupid modder comes along, but that mod would create problems not just with your map then.

Empyre said:

I am trying to avoid using scripts in my maps for fear that they might step on the toes of a mod that uses scripts, and I want my maps to compatible with all mods.

Is there a range of script numbers "reserved" for maps that mod makers avoid so that mappers can use them, or conversely a range that mappers avoid so that mod makers can use them?

You could eliviate any concern about scripts with same names if you prefixed your scripts with Empyre, for example

Script "Empyre xxxxxxxxx" (void)
{
   <some instructions>
}