Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Woolie Wool

Endless computer woes

I have having infuriating computer problems for the past week and I'd like to share them with you, First of all, My screen was very, very dark. I tried fizing it by replacing my SiS OEM chip with an ATI card! Oh gn0! There's no AGP slot! I looked at the motherboard more closely! Oh gn0! It's impossible to replace the card because it's FREAKING BUILT IN TO THE MOTHERBOARD. I replaced the monitor and it's now at normal brightness. I added some more RAM and booted the computer up. I installed Norton Antivirus and sat there gaping at what I saw. W32.ElKern.4926 was ALL OVER MY FREAKING HARD DRIVE! I reformatted my drive and decided to install Red Hat Linux. Done. I then tried to download Linux DOOM, but I had to use the funky terminal instead of using Nautilus a la My Computer in Windows. But I have to ask, WHY WAS MY OLD MONITOR DESIGNED FOR USE BY DEEP-SEA ANGLER FISH AND WHY IS THE FREAKING VIDEO CARD BUILT INTO THE FREAKING MOTHERBOARD AND WHERE ON EARTH DID ALL THOSE ELKERNS COME FROM AND WHY DOES RED HAT LINUX NEED 1.8 GIGS OF HARD DRIVE SPACE AND WHY DO I HAVE TO USE THAT FREAKING TERMINAL TO UNZIP FILES AND WHY WON"T XDOOM.WHATEVER EXECUTE AND WHY OH WHY DOES LINUX HAVE TO USE SPECIALIZED FILE TYPES AND A BIZARRE TERMINAL SO I CAN'T JUST CLICK ON "DOOM.EXE" AND BE DONE WITH IT?!?!

Woolie Wool said:

AND WHY OH WHY DOES LINUX HAVE TO USE SPECIALIZED FILE TYPES AND A BIZARRE TERMINAL SO I CAN'T JUST CLICK ON "DOOM.EXE" AND BE DONE WITH IT?!?![/b]

because doom.exe isn't meant for linux, or is this the linux version of doom you are using?

/me uses ignore feature on railgunner because his stupid ramblings will never stop and aren't worth reading.

First of all, Red Hat really isn't the greatest of Linux distros. I use SuSe, and I love it. I've heard good things about Mandrake as well, but I haven't tried it out yet.

Linux is pretty infuriating for the first couple of lifetimes you use it. The individual programs are documented well, but there's no documentation on how to actually do anything. Of course, as I've said before, any documentation that does actually exist reads like a copy of The Brothers Karamazov Babelfished into Sanskrit. Almost any system configuration requires you to edit several cryptic text files, and you can screw your system over just by insulting it.

But the power. Oh, the power.

DC

Woolie Wool said:

Hey! I know where RsilGunner's avatar came from! That's the Gencore Phoenix from the game Tyrian!

correct!!!!
bout time i found another tyrian fan in dw!

Woolie Wool said:

I have having infuriating computer problems for the past week and I'd like to share them with you, First of all, My screen was very, very dark. I tried fizing it by replacing my SiS OEM chip with an ATI card! Oh gn0! There's no AGP slot! I looked at the motherboard more closely! Oh gn0! It's impossible to replace the card because it's FREAKING BUILT IN TO THE MOTHERBOARD. I replaced the monitor and it's now at normal brightness. I added some more RAM and booted the computer up. I installed Norton Antivirus and sat there gaping at what I saw. W32.ElKern.4926 was ALL OVER MY FREAKING HARD DRIVE! I reformatted my drive and decided to install Red Hat Linux. Done. I then tried to download Linux DOOM, but I had to use the funky terminal instead of using Nautilus a la My Computer in Windows. But I have to ask, WHY WAS MY OLD MONITOR DESIGNED FOR USE BY DEEP-SEA ANGLER FISH AND WHY IS THE FREAKING VIDEO CARD BUILT INTO THE FREAKING MOTHERBOARD AND WHERE ON EARTH DID ALL THOSE ELKERNS COME FROM AND WHY DOES RED HAT LINUX NEED 1.8 GIGS OF HARD DRIVE SPACE AND WHY DO I HAVE TO USE THAT FREAKING TERMINAL TO UNZIP FILES AND WHY WON"T XDOOM.WHATEVER EXECUTE AND WHY OH WHY DOES LINUX HAVE TO USE SPECIALIZED FILE TYPES AND A BIZARRE TERMINAL SO I CAN'T JUST CLICK ON "DOOM.EXE" AND BE DONE WITH IT?!?!

1. Use PrBoom.
2. Nautilus is gay.
3. Red Hat is gay.
4. Terminal is quite nice actually.
5. Specialized file types? What?

Hey, at least you don't have to use Windows 98 on a 700mhz celeron in a compaq with no video card.

Woolie Wool said:

...WHY DO I HAVE TO USE THAT FREAKING TERMINAL TO UNZIP FILES AND WHY WON"T XDOOM.WHATEVER EXECUTE AND WHY OH WHY DOES LINUX HAVE TO USE SPECIALIZED FILE TYPES AND A BIZARRE TERMINAL SO I CAN'T JUST CLICK ON "DOOM.EXE" AND BE DONE WITH IT?!?!

Because you are stupid.

Woolie Wool said:

WHY OH WHY DOES LINUX HAVE TO USE SPECIALIZED FILE TYPES
AND A BIZARRE TERMINAL

HERE'S AN IDEA! USE WINDOWS, FOR THE LOVE OF PETE!!!

WHY CAN'T I JUST CLICK ON "DOOM.EXE" AND BE DONE WITH IT?!?!

Three short words: Linux is gay.

RailGunner said:

my computer crashes more than yours. my computer is more fucked up than yours!

And you're proud of this, I suppose?

ok? stop bitchin.

...says the guy who gets quoted in every other person's sig.

DooMBoy said:

...says the guy who gets quoted in every other person's sig.

...says the guy who gets his title quoted every other day.

[QUOTE]RailGunner said:

Stupidity cannot be consealed.

indeed it can not, railgunner. /me points at bad coding and bad spelling

now stop killing this thread!

Woolie Wool said:

I have having infuriating computer problems for the past week and I'd like to share them with you, First of all, My screen was very, very dark. I tried fizing it by replacing my SiS OEM chip with an ATI card!

Heh, most people just use the brightness control...

large allcaps rant

There are .rpm packages for a lot of the sourceports which makes installing them a lot easier. Also try KDE instead. GNOME is a mess.

DooMBoy said:

Three short words: Linux is gay.

FINALLY! I waited for a moment like this for a long time.

Stupidity cannot be concealed.

the_Danarchist said:

...says the guy who gets his title quoted every other day.

Whatever you say, Mr. Origional.

lament said:

FINALLY! I waited for a moment like this for a long time.

So says lament, whose very own title states, and I quote:

I THINK I WILL SECOND GUESS LINGUICA ON HOW TO RUN HIS FORUM, YES THAT SOUNDS SMART

DooMBoy said:

Whatever you say, Mr. Origional.

Originality cannot be concealed...neither can stupidity

The point was to complain about our various computer problems, but that's been thrown out the window.

DooMBoy said:

The computers at my workplace DON'T HAVE WINDOWS. The boss DOESN'T WANT WINDOWS. That means I CAN'T USE WINDOWS at work.