Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
andrewj

Eureka 1.21 Released

Eureka is a map editor for classic DOOM and related games.

I have just released version 1.21. With over 950 commits since the last release, this is a fairly major update.

One aspect which got a lot of work was the BSP node builder, which has been tightly integrated into the Eureka codebase now, and will build nodes for a map on each save (though that can be disabled). Building nodes no longer clears the undo/redo history, that was something I found quite annoying recently and hence was the main motivation for this BSP work. There are also more options on the type of nodes to build, and ZDoom uncompressed node format (XNOD) is now supported.

Another major change was making the mouse buttons (including the wheel) use the key binding system, where previously their behavior was hard-coded. Also updating the key system to support smooth navigation functions. Those changes lead to a rethink about line drawing, in version 1.11 the left mouse button had three distinct functions in vertex mode: selecting stuff, dragging stuff, and line drawing, and it became clear that it was too much for a single button. Hence line drawing was moved to another button, the right one (inspired by DB), and that meant map panning had to move too (to MMB and the "a" key, which is quite nice now I've gotten used to it).

Anyway, I hope this release will be useful to some people :)

Full list of changes in 1.21 is here: http://eureka-editor.sourceforge.net/?n=Main.Changes121

Eureka web site is here: http://eureka-editor.sourceforge.net/

Thank you for all the work you put in Eureka so far, it's the only editor available on the Raspberry Pi, which I've been using as a desktop replacement for almost a year now.

This is awesome news.

Did you planning move from Sourceforge to Github? Current times many doom-related projects moved to Github.

riderr3 said:

Did you planning move from Sourceforge to Github? Current times many doom-related projects moved to Github.

Sourceforge is still an OK place to host a project I think.

I think most people disagree with that by now.
Just an example: How do I get a link to clone that repo? I can't find it. On Github it's prominently visible.

Graf Zahl said:

I think most people disagree with that by now.
Just an example: How do I get a link to clone that repo? I can't find it. On Github it's prominently visible.

Well it's pretty simple, go to the files page on sourceforge and click on the "Git" link at the bar that's below the project title.

But for easy access, here:

git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/eureka-editor/git eureka-editor-git

I'd like to thank printz for again making the MacOSX package. There are definitely some people out there who are using it.

boris said:

I noticed that the editor slows down a lot on big maps when flat drawing is enabled :(

Yeah that is an issue, the flat rendering can probably be optimized but I haven't looked into it yet.

torekk said:

Thank you for all the work you put in Eureka so far, it's the only editor available on the Raspberry Pi, which I've been using as a desktop replacement for almost a year now.

That's not strictly true, you can get WadC for Raspberry Pi. But Eureka is awesome, thanks andrewj!

andrewj said:

I'd like to thank printz for again making the MacOSX package. There are definitely some people out there who are using it.

Yup, at least me.

What would be nice to have is a way to load resources from a folder, probably organized in the same layout as a ZDoom/Eternity pack (ZIP archive). It would be useful for ZDoom-Hexen and Eternity port modes.

printz said:

OpenGL rendering? Pretty sure GZDoomBuilder uses DirectX for this.

While that is a possibility, I prefer to not add OpenGL as a dependency.

printz said:

What would be nice to have is a way to load resources from a folder, probably organized in the same layout as a ZDoom/Eternity pack (ZIP archive). It would be useful for ZDoom-Hexen and Eternity port modes.

Yeah that would be useful when mapping for those ports.

I've been kinda reluctant to support the advanced source ports (anything more advanced than BOOM), since it opens up so many more things that people expect or would like the editor to handle. All those things require a lot of work, but I have very little energy / motivation to work on Eureka these days, sadly.

How do I delete sidedefs from a linedef? Whenever I copy-paste something from inside the game outside, I also copy the second sidedefs pointing back to the old sectors, and I don't want them. I see no [X] button to delete them. So how do I do it?

Some feature requests from a recent session or two:

• when selecting a one-sided linedef, an "add" button for the second sidedef. Eureka could make a best-guess as to what sector to assign it to (I think it has that heuristic elsewhere already) but I could supply my own too. Quite often when joining sectors together I end up in situations with a stray one-sided linedef between two sectors.
  • Some way to say "next free tag number" rather than having to keep track in my head, or guess!
  • Undo/Redo is great; it would be greater if you could label the actions that you are undoing/redoing (undo delete thing, redo change mid-tex, etc.)

Most excellent update! Editor has the best Map Checking features. I noticed the medusa finder, hopefully a tutti frutti finder is possible. Hopefully can turn off flats in the future, so Eureka stays lightning fast.

I cannot open all my maps, without renaming them to a lower map number.

Spoiler

eurekamaplist.png

EDIT> Visplane Explorer seems to have same toolkit or map setup as Eureka, Might be a quick copy and paste to fix the mapslot issue.

Edited by Catoptromancy

Dredged up my login after I spotted this thread just to say thanks for keeping this editor going. Made my last map with it a year or two back, and just started another one. Since I've never had luck with any of the Doombuilders under WINE it's my only real option, and it's a fine replacement for my purposes.

Seems I'm way behind, on v1.00. Guess I'll build 1.21 in a little bit.

So, apparently this is the new sound propagation feature:

9rCBfHs.png

Could you please explain us what each colour means?

It is clear that blue colour means "sound cannot reach", but now, what is the difference between that orange and the red coloured sectors?

Lets say, the player is located within the highlighted sector. If he shoots, the enemies in the red sector can hear him as well as the ones in the orange, so I don't see much difference between the red and orange zones in terms of sound propagation.

Thanks.

blue looks like places that can potentially be reached by a sound in the given sector (ie: the zombieman room is behind a door, if that door was open the zombiemen would hear you if you shot in the starting area), orange is any place that has the "strong" sound (not reduced by any sound blocking lines), and red is the "weak" sound, where another sound blocking line will block it.

Just to clarify further, in Doom you need to have two sets of sound blocking lines to actually stop enemies from hearing a noise.

2 hours ago, Yokai said:

So, apparently this is the new sound propagation feature:

9rCBfHs.png

Could you please explain us what each colour means?

It is clear that blue colour means "sound cannot reach", but now, what is the difference between that orange and the red coloured sectors?

Lets say, the player is located within the highlighted sector. If he shoots, the enemies in the red sector can hear him as well as the ones in the orange, so I don't see much difference between the red and orange zones in terms of sound propagation.

Thanks.

Looking at this:

orange with yellow border: sound origin

orange: full sound

red: weakened sound

blue: sound blocked by 0-height sector (such as a closed door), meaning that the sound is potentially no longer blocked after sector movement (such as opening a door)

black: sound cannot propagate no matter how sectors move

1 hour ago, Linguica said:

Just to clarify further, in Doom you need to have two sets of sound blocking lines to actually stop enemies from hearing a noise.

Then let me ask: what is the difference between using a single sound-blocking ldef and none at all?

If you only use one single sound-blocking line in the entire map, there is indeed no difference.

To simplify, think of a room configuration like this:

┌───┬───┬───┐
│ A │ B │ C │
└───┼───┼───┘
    │ D │
    └───┘

Each of the line between the rooms is sound-blocking.

If you make noise in A, it will be heard by the monsters in B, but not by the monsters in C or D.

If you make noise in B, it will be heard by the monsters in A, C, and D.

If you make noise in C, it will be heard by the monsters in B, but not by the monsters in A or D.

If you make noise in D, it will be heard by the monsters in B, but not by the monsters in A or C.

MAP01 is actually a good illustration of that. When you attack the zombies on the stairs, you attract the attention of the zombies and imps in the corridor. If you wait for them to go to the stairs and kill them here, your presence becomes undetected. However, if you go forward in the corridor and attack the monsters there instead of waiting for them outside, then you will wake up the imps further down the corridor. And if you engage these new monsters there, you will wake up the monsters in the large room.

This way, you can achieve an effect that is desirable for several reasons:

• You don't wake up all the monsters at once, even on a wide-open map. That saves performances!
  • You make monster alarm more "realistic" (depending on map configuration, of course) in that monsters don't hear about stuff happening far away.
  • You make sure that rooms don't become fully emptied from hearing firefights elsewhere, without having to use the ambush flag all the time.

For these various reasons, the sound-blocking effect not being "full" is all-around more useful than if it was.

Is it possible to add triggers to things in Eureka? I'm kind of a noob at map making and I am trying to make a room where you pick up a super shotgun and a couple of the walls come down and enemies come out, but I can't seem to find a place to put a tag for that in the thing menu, i can only see options for type, position, and angle, and difficulty and gamemode options for spawning. Will I just have to add a little sector under the ssg with the trigger on it?

6 hours ago, therektafire said:

Is it possible to add triggers to things in Eureka? I'm kind of a noob at map making and I am trying to make a room where you pick up a super shotgun and a couple of the walls come down and enemies come out, but I can't seem to find a place to put a tag for that in the thing menu, i can only see options for type, position, and angle, and difficulty and gamemode options for spawning. Will I just have to add a little sector under the ssg with the trigger on it?

I think so, yes. Triggers directly on things are not a feature from vanilla doom, they are probably a ZDoom feature. Or possibly you are using the wrong game mode for your project.

23 hours ago, Jon said:

I think so, yes. Triggers directly on things are not a feature from vanilla doom, they are probably a ZDoom feature. Or possibly you are using the wrong game mode for your project.

I figured it out, I hadn't started the project in hexen format so the options weren't showing up lol. But now I have another issue :( I am trying to make it to where enemies spawn when you pick up a weapon but it isn't working... I have a shotgun on a platform with the tag for thing_spawn (I think it's 135 right) and I am trying to spawn a pinky when you pick it up but either it isn't working right or I'm doing something wrong... I have the id of the spawn location set to a spawn point I also put down in front of the platform, I have the thing id set to what I believe is the id of the pinky (3002 according to eurekas thing list, I also tried 8 which is the id listed on the zdoom wiki and it didn't work either) and I just gave it a random number as it's its own tid, which covers all the arguments to the thing spawn function so it should work but when I play the game and pick up the shotgun the pinky doesn't spawn :( I am testing in the latest gzdoom svn build fwiw

Edit: here is the wad file i am talking about so you can see what is going on as well, it is zipped because for some reason even though this doomworld you can't upload wads normally...

test.zip

Edited by therektafire : Added wad file

Andrew, help! How do I edit line IDs? I am trying to make a script that causes a gate to disappear when you punch it and I realized that setLineTexture and setLineBlocking work based on the line tag not the linedef number itself :(

For some mysterious reason, Raven Software never bothered to make line ID a map line property. Instead you have to jump through weird hoops and use the Line_SetIdentification special (number 121) on the line to give it an ID, as the first parameter.

Thanks, I figured it out :) I placed a really thin sector in front of the gate with the script trigger on it and replaced the script call on the gate with the identification and it works! Its not too big of a hassle, its just something i really need to keep in mind in the future until i can move to an editor with proper UDMF support so i dont have to worry about it :D