Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dgemie

I'm now a fanboy of maps by Pinchy

Realised the screenshot was a few versions behind so uploaded a new one. You can compare using the gallery link.

Obsidian said:

Eyyyy, wish I had fanboys.

i tend to rather enjoy playing your Map30 maps - the mystery of the final battle and how to win it is intense.

Pfft. I used to be a fan of Pinchy maps, but now that he's reached mainstream popularity I'm off this bandwagon!

Was Pinchy inspired by me? I feel like kuchitsu.wad has a lot of similar texturing ideas, especially on Map05.

My current mapping style is the result of a complex combination of a rich gaming history, existing techniques, tropes and trends and my own personality/preference.

I'm very strict on originality, a sense of place and adding one unique design to every map. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum to speedmapping which is very organic, so it makes that more difficult for me. The maps I build now have about a weeks worth of just pure thought, concept and idea building before I start.

The things I take from other mappers both playing and watching are technical techniques and smaller tropes rather than any kind of overall design.

I created an entire wad just for the purpose of learning how to build all the important foundational things Doom has to offer correctly and efficiently. This means I have been transitioning from technical building to learning good gameplay, that's why a lot of my earlier maps used mainly teleports instead of the now more equal mix of incidental(already in the playable area), teleport ambushes/map refills and moving geometry reveals.

Memfis said:

What do you like about them so much?

I guess I like the sense of place factor.

dew said:

Pfft. I used to be a fan of Pinchy maps, but now that he's reached mainstream popularity I'm off this bandwagon!

If I thought that his maps are mainstream enough, I possibly wouldn't make this thread!

I do know about Based and even managed to barely get past the "beginner" half. Maybe I will play the whole thing sooner or later.

I definitely need to play more Pinchy maps. I really enjoyed his Map27 for TNT:Revilution. It had a sense of epic scope, looked sharp and was fun to play even if a bit easy.