Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

things YOU do in doom that annoy you

so you are playing (or mapping) doom and then you do something irritating, maybe it has become a bad habit, what is it?

i really get annoyed when i use the wrong weapon on the wrong enemy, like say that i use the SSG on a couple of former humans that are very far away, or waste chaingun ammo on a small group of pinkies when i picked up the berserk pack. i sometimes do these mistakes because i fail to press the weapon switch keys or i am expecting a bigger enemy after a big fight, but most oftenlly it's because i'm a twitchy frightened player who still moves around like it's 1993 XD

I'm thinking of shooting with a rocket launcher at a monster that is lower than me. I know there is a chance (or sometimes I'm even 100% sure) that the rocket will hit the ground instead of flying towards him and I will damage myself. But I shoot anyway.

When spamming rockets at hordes before taking cover, sometimes I let go of the mouse button too late and a final rocket hits the wall point blank.

A random-ass monster (usually a Lost soul) getting in my face from either side while launching salvos of rockets at stronger monsters, usually killing or heavily injuring me. This shit usually happens when they come around the corner and me not knowing it.

I dont know if it has to do with the small size of the sprite or maybe the coloring, but I eat cyberdemon rockets like catching popcorn in my mouth. I can dodge any other fireball type like my life depends on it, but the most destructive projectile seems to snag me the most.

Downloading a brand-spanking-new megawad or episode and then IDCLEVing to one or more of the later levels before playing the preceding levels. Every time. Stop it.

Not paying attention to the HUD health bar when playing with the traditional status bar turned off, then wondering why I just got splattered.

Enemy projectiles seem to elicit some sort of deeply embedded "catch"-reflex, and so I often find myself steering straight into them when I could easily not. Really really dumb.

that happens to me with cacodemons, i of tenlly zig zag from one projectyle to the next, sometimes 3 on a row

Chezza said:

When I pick up a box of ammo when I was almost full

haha this so much! sometimes it's the fault of the mapper, but other times you have plenty of walking space and you go step on the thing. also happens with health. specially when you pick up a megasphere and then you waste a whole bunch of potions

In a deathmatch, turning around only to face a wall, fucking acknowledge in that split second that I'm facing a wall, and accidentally fire a damn rocket anyway. I do this once almost every fucking round and have for many years, so annoying!

Also wasting like 6-8 shells using a SSG long range before realizing I'm a moron and switch to the chaingun or single barrel.

actually 1v1 people named "Player"

9 times out of 10 it's just someone trying to prove a point to beat me, take a screenshot, and then wave in my face later if they win. as a result i end up having to try-hard instead of just casually playing. these duels are never pleasurable and i regret playing those games every time.

Not letting my mind think, but letting my finger do the work. What I mean is that I don't really pay attention, I just do it. Most of the time, I don't even how or when i picked up a keycard XD

That, and always finding myself getting hit by projectiles, no matter how slow or how fast they are. Is this magic?

Not so much annoy as make laugh: dodging a rev's homing missile, standing in the middle of the circle feeling good about myself, then leaving the safety-circle only to take a missile to the side or back of the head. Also more than a few of others listed here already, hehe.

Whenever I have the Shotgun and SSG at the same time, I always try to keep the numbers as pairs. The moment I have an shell count that is an impair number (For example, 47) I just fire the shotgun so it becomes a pair number again.

Shooting a rocket into a spectre, demon, wall, lost soul... and subsequently dying. Or taking a lot of damage. This happens to me a lot.

Unf said:

Whenever I have the Shotgun and SSG at the same time, I always try to keep the numbers as pairs. The moment I have an shell count that is an impair number (For example, 47) I just fire the shotgun so it becomes a pair number again.

Hey I do this as well!

The OCD is real.

Jumping off of one-time lifts for no apparent reason. It's really epic and funny to get stuck because I decided to jump off like a dumbass, it really is!!!

When the game does some horizontal autoaiming and the rocket hits the edge of a wall. Or when I try to lead a monster but the horizontal autoaiming sends the rocket directly on the enemy.

I pick up megaspheres and soulspheres regardless of my level of health. In the middle of a fight I will fire one SSG shot and immediately run over the ammo stockpile. I will always at least once end a run by firing a rocket at an enemy lower than me when I'm certain the rocket will not clear the platform I'm on. I also have a habit of saving when I'm low on health rather than being a big boy and dying to try the fight over.

Well multiple things.

When playing vanilla:
I get too far into roleplaying as a space marine, so I just talk to the imaginary HQ, make snide comments, puns, scream at stupid shit. If I got a facecam and a mike I would have a succesful Youtube career.

When playing custom gameplay wads:
IDKFA, try every weapon. Once I get bored, never pick up the wad again.

When playing custom maps:
Play first map, then switch to another wad. Then just play mock2 or uacnightmare again.

When playing deathmatch:
Try to act as some action hero and rocket everything, nowhere to aim, get pissed at everyone only using SSG, get pissed at the guy camping the rocket launcher, get pissed at this guy who I keep missing but somehow he can SSG me from 2 miles. Get pissed in general, to ragequit.

When playing coop:
Have to be helpful as possible. When I am dead and the server allows ghosting (most likely Samsara servers,where are they?) I chat away enemy positions, health positions, secrets, everything, basically act as some invisible drone who scouts the map over and over. And get a bit sad once I revive.

When making maps:
Make a map. Whole level without actors. Stop right there and never pick it up again. When I pick it up accidentally, finish the level, start another map, build it till actors, and never picking it up.

Splatter said:

trying to understand them and find common ground.

Common ground between you and demons:
-you're both destructive and masochistic forces of meat
-most of you both have two legs, two arms, and a head
-you're both carnivores (I assume)

Tendency to get stubborn and use the same strat until it works by some miracle instead of changing it up.

MFG38 said:

Tendency to get stubborn and use the same strat until it works by some miracle instead of changing it up.

This is something I do apparently quite a lot with hard encounters.

And as of recent I've been running into easily avoided projectiles whilst strafing for some reason a bit more, which annoys me.