Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
invictius

Was running in front of a rocket only possible with pentiums?

Someone back in the day with a fast 486/pentium told me "hey look at this" and proceeded to run and overtake the rocket to get hit with it. He implied that it could only be done with a fast pc, but the only sense I can make of it was a slower system being too jerky to give you the response time to pull it off.

invictius said:

Someone back in the day with a fast 486/pentium told me "hey look at this" and proceeded to run and overtake the rocket to get hit with it. He implied that it could only be done with a fast pc, but the only sense I can make of it was a slower system being too jerky to give you the response time to pull it off.

No you can only do that with a 22 core processor can't be done with any other CPU has to be with that specific one said.

Maybe I'm misreading, but I have a state of the art PC, subtle brag, and I can't outrun rockets on any sourceport or vanilla. Not sure if serious.

If you fire a rocket and then physically get up and run behind the computer you're playing the game on, you're running in front of the rocket since it hasn't left the computer.

Sick Bow said:

Maybe I'm misreading, but I have a state of the art PC, subtle brag, and I can't outrun rockets on any sourceport or vanilla. Not sure if serious.

You need to be straferunning. I mean hold the run button and A+D and if you have enough room and if you keep the right angle then you will outrun the missile. But the player's own rockets do not collide with the playr though, so they will pass throigh you. Splash damage of course applies.

VGA said:

You need to be straferunning. I mean hold the run button and A+D and if you have enough room and if you keep the right angle then you will outrun the missile. But the player's own rockets do not collide with the playr though, so they will pass throigh you. Splash damage of course applies.

Seriously? It's coded so your own missiles don't hit you? I'll try this later, I'm installing a new SDD, so my video recording currently isn't nice. I'll try to capture this strangeness on video. My bad!

invictius said:

Your CPU speed cannot in any physical way alter the speed of objects in Doom. How do you think demos would ever have worked if that were so?

Sick Bow said:

Seriously? It's coded so your own missiles don't hit you?

If they did, you'd blow yourself up as soon you fired them.

In fact, all monsters with projectiles would too.

Pure Hellspawn said:

i think you can *barely* outrun your own rocket by strafe running. plasma shots are another issue though.

I can only keep up with rocket on regular SR (can't SR50 because I don't play with mouse). But sometimes I can do wall running, and that's fast enough.
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Wallrunning

VGA said:

He must have been referring to straferunning, how long did it take for you guys to figure out you could straferun? I think the guy only had a couple of friends so the information trickled to him very slowly, and this was back when you'd browse the web for only a couple of hours a day. He had some of the doom strategy books though.

Wait, so rocketjumping is possible even when you don't have a wall or a monster to use? I never thought of this before. Has anyone made a level where you have to do a rocketjump like that? Sounds like a fun little challenge straight out of AVJ.WAD.

Memfis said:

Wait, so rocketjumping is possible even when you don't have a wall or a monster to use?

No. What are you talking about?

Sick Bow said:

Seriously? It's coded so your own missiles don't hit you?

Yeah. Projectiles are spawned inside the actor that shoots them, so if they didn't pass through, they'd explode immediately, as Arctangent said.

It was simpler than coding spawning offsets for every projectile spawning function. They didn't expect players to use a movement glitch (or a teleporter setup!) to discover that they can still pass through their rockets after firing them and then catching up with them.

@Memfis: Well, theoretically, in a setup like this:

CEILING
+--------------------------------------------------+
|                                           Player |
|                                             <-X  |
|                                             +----+
|                                             |
|   <-Exit                                    |
+------------+                  E-------------+
             |                  | UPPER FLOOR
             |                  |
             | Monster +--------+
             |   X->   |
             +---------+
             LOWER FLOOR
The player could fire a rocket from where he is, which would vertically autoaim downwards onto the monster, but hit the edge (marked as 'E') of the upper floor on its way. If the player managed to outrun the rocket, its splash damage could boost him over the abyss to the exit (provided he could dodge the monster, which might block him by its infinite height). That's an example how rocket jumping "without walls or monsters" could work.

You might be able to do this by wallrunning. It's nothing to do with your CPU though. The game physics works the same regardless of CPU speed

Gez said:

You're still using a monster, though.

Neither walls nor monsters need to be at the exact spot where the rocket jump happens at the exact time it happens. It doesn't require either the player or the rocket to touch the monster, and the monster doesn't even need to be within the splash damage's reach when the rocket explodes. So, "without walls or monsters", in quotes.

Well, TBQH, if playing Doom on a 386SX/16 it would be kinda hard to realize that you were running/could actually run and thus discover such gameplay tricks or perform them with the necessary input precision, hence the "only possible with pentiums" confusion.

Yeah, the mechanics of the game would be exactly the same, but with a sufficiently weak system pulling out certain tricks using the usual monitor-player-keyboard feedback loop would be extremely difficult or outright impossible, if tic-precise maneuvering was required.

I tried this and it seem it's possible to do this with strafe run, as others have already said.

However on ports that enable jumping, it's possible to outrun plasma rifle projectiles by strafe running and holding down the jump key at the same time.

Pegg said:

Supaplex and maybe Tetris are very easy ways to check it.

Heh, I always played Supaplex at twice the intended speed. And I used computer's turbo mode to throttle it to its slow speed, whenever I had trouble. I thought it was part of gameplay (I was even penalized by the game time, as it was advancing at the same speed).

You're tempting me to start up that game again. Just like with DOOM, there are thousands of custom levels to play.