Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

Dehacked Chaingun

So I've edited the frames, so that chaingun's rate of fire is much more realistic, and bullet consuming. Now, how do I change the sound of the chaingun to that of the shotgun? I want it to be like the Chaingunner's chaingun sound.

Why the hell would you want the chaingun to sound like a shotgun, when it's not a shotgun?

In any event, ZDoom can use a special sound lump for the chaingun sound, DSCHAIN or something of the sort.

Linguica said:
Why the hell would you want the chaingun to sound like a shotgun, when it's not a shotgun?

Did you read my post? I want it to sound like the Chaingunner's chaingun, which uses the Shotgun sound instead of the normal Chaingun sound.

In any event, ZDoom can use a special sound lump for the chaingun sound, DSCHAIN or something of the sort. [/B]

Okey doke. Will try it.
Except for one problem. What do I put in the sound lump file?

DooMBoy said:
Did you read my post? I want it to sound like the Chaingunner's chaingun, which uses the Shotgun sound instead of the normal Chaingun sound.

Wrong. It uses the pistol sound. The spiderdemon's firing sound is the shotgun sound.

Mordeth said:

Wrong. It uses the pistol sound. The spiderdemon's firing sound is the shotgun sound.

Mordeth, the only engine that uses the pistol sound for the chaingunner is eternity...

Listen to the chaingunner breaking off fire. If that isn't the shotgun I dunno what is.

If you are using zdoom, this should be pretty easy to do with a sndinfo lump (text file) in your wad. Looking into zdoom.wad's sndinfo, I see these things among many others:

$ifdoom

// Weapons
//

$pitchshiftrange 3
weapons/sawup dssawup
weapons/sawidle dssawidl
weapons/sawfull dssawful
weapons/sawhit dssawhit
$pitchshiftrange 4

weapons/pistol dspistol
weapons/shotgf dsshotgn
weapons/shotgr dssgcock
weapons/sshotf dsdshtgn
weapons/sshoto dsdbopn
weapons/sshotc dsdbcls
weapons/sshotl dsdbload
weapons/chngun dspistol <----- you can change this!
weapons/rocklx dsbarexp
weapons/rocklf dsrlaunc
weapons/plasmaf dsplasma
weapons/plasmax dsfirxpl
weapons/bfgf dsbfg
weapons/bfgx dsrxplod
weapons/railgf railgf1

// Chainguy

$random chainguy/sight { chainguy/sight1 chainguy/sight2 chainguy/sight3 }
$random chainguy/death { chainguy/death1 chainguy/death2 chainguy/death3 }
chainguy/sight1 dsposit1
chainguy/sight2 dsposit2
chainguy/sight3 dsposit3
chainguy/active dsposact
chainguy/pain dspopain
chainguy/death1 dspodth1
chainguy/death2 dspodth2
chainguy/death3 dspodth3
chainguy/attack dsshotgn <------- Lookie here!
$limit chainguy/attack 0

Your own sndinfo lump will have to contain the $ifdoom entry and at least the weapons/chngun dspistol line where I expect you'd just use dsshotgn instead of dspistol.

Yeah, the chaingunner uses the shotty sound. I saw somewhere recently that the shotgun sound, rather than the pistol sound was used because if the same sound was used for the player and the enemies weapon, it would be obvious the enemy was firing at a slower rate than the player.

In Zdoom, the easiest way to change these sounds is to make a SNDINFO lump. The relevant entries you might want to change are.

weapons/pistol dspistol
weapons/chngun dspistol
chainguy/attack dsshotgn
spider/attack dsshotgn
wolfss/attack dsshotgn

Those are the default values from the latest Zdoom beta. You can edit these to use other existing doom sounds, or any new sound you wish to put in yourself. Then you simply save the changed entries in a text file called SNDINFO.txt and import it as a lump into a WAD.

Edit: Looks like you nipped in there whilst I was typing Biffy :-)

I don't think you need to put in an ifdoom section. It will work just fine without it, but it is neater I suppose.

I think the ifdoom section just tells Zdoom to only use the sound entries in doom games (as opposed to Heretic and Hexen ones). If you just put in a bunch of new entries, Zdoom reads them. If there is nothing in the game to actually use them, then they won't be used (eg having a chaingunner sound in sndinfo will tell Zdoom which sound to use for the chaingunner, but if you are playing Heretic, its irrelevant because there is no chaingunner in the game).

The only time I have found the ifdoom/ifheretic/ifhexen sections really important is if there are entries with the same names in 2 different games

eg in Doom there is

$random imp/sight { imp/sight1 imp/sight2 }
$random imp/death { imp/death1 imp/death2 }
imp/active dsbgact
imp/pain dspopain
imp/attack dsfirsht

All of which are also in Heretic

imp/sight impsit
imp/attack impat1
imp/pain imppai
imp/death impdth
imp/active impsit

Without the ifdoom and ifheretic markers, these get confused.

Enjay said:

I don't think you need to put in an ifdoom section. It will work just fine without it, but it is neater I suppose.

Thanks for clarifying that, I was leery of messing with any of Randy's stuff. :)