Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gaybos

Doom and Windows XP

I've read that doom and windows xp don't go together as doom is a dos program however doom 2 is running for me in Windows XP. Explanation please?

It is possible to run Doom in XP, given some configurations and a whole lot of luck. I can run doom2.exe in XP, but I get no sound. It really all depends on your configuration, the way you set up XP, and whether or not Jupiter is in the house of Orion.

DC

Guess it was just luck then, thanks. Sound and everything seems to work well, I think it runs just a tad choppy.

Still your best bet is to use a sourceport. Go to the Doomworld main page and browse down some links on the right. There are all kinds of treats there to maximise your Doom experience.

Gaybos said:

I've read that doom and windows xp don't go together as doom is a dos program however doom 2 is running for me in Windows XP. Explanation please?

Xp can run DOS stuff fine. WEll some may not but most does. The onyl problem it has is to do with sound emulation, which it does a rather crappy job of. If you play without sound, it will pretty much flawlessly...

XP runs all the calculations/mathematical stuff great, just not sound.

I got winxp and my doom game works fine on it and so does the sound, but i got a source port cause i wanted to use my gamepad when playing doom.:)

I haven't figured out the sound stuff yet. I got an old DOS version of Dungeon Master, as well as Shadowgate, and I can't get sound in either of them, which is a pity, since the original Shadowgate sound is so very very nice.

DC

XP ran Doom like Quake on a 386DX machine. Even without sound it was unplayably choppy.... at least on my mobo.
If you consider yourself even half-serious player, install Win98 or create another partition... if you play just for fun, go get Prboom.