Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Death Egg

Is this list of source ports comprehensive?

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/Comparison_of_source_ports

I always figured this was a pretty good run down of some of the basic features for anyone unfamiliar to source ports or interested in trying any others. All of the currently developed one's seem to be here for the most part, but are there any others that are missing? I don't see Mocha Doom on here for example, but I don't know if that port is actively developed anymore.

(I realize QZDoom isn't on the list and ZDoom still is, I put in a change for that but the QZDoom article likely needs updating first)

From what I gather, and for the most part yes.
~ aside from version numbers, the wiki seems to be a bit out of date there.

There is some ports that aren't mentioned eg. ZdoomGl, Lxdoom, etc..
There should be almost twice as many at least mentioned however!
My guess, reason being mostly because they are so out dated and or not even used due to hardware or O/S compatibility issues to todays standards. Although the wiki states that said source engine listing is to be currently active or popular.

That said, aside from version numbers, it seems to be fine. And one can't expect the wiki to be updated at a drop of a hat either heh.

It's meant to be a list of source ports that are not abandoned and are popular enough to be mentioned. It's not meant to be a list of all source ports that have ever existed -- ZDoomGL for instance hasn't been worked on since 2006! LxDoom hasn't been touched since 2000! Nobody uses them anymore and they'd just clutter the list. The aim of this page is to be relatively noob-friendly, to help people choose something when they don't know much about source ports. If you want something more exhaustive (though less frequently maintained) you can look here and see the kind of page nobody in their right mind would link to a newbie asking on the GOG or Steam forum for a source port recommendation. ("I recommend PowerDoom, it runs on BeOS!")

Gez said:

...you can look here and see the kind of page nobody in their right mind would link to a newbie...

I just want to give a shout out to Doug Little for continuing to update Bad Mood since 1995 for those doomers still rocking on an Atari Falcon.

The very first sentence of the article you linked reads as follows:

Below is a rough comparison of the source ports that are currently active and popular.

So no, it's not meant to be comprehensive. If you require that, the link in the same quoted sentence has many more entries.

Yes, I realize it meant popular too. I wouldn't expect to see a port like GZDoom-GPL or PyDoom mentioned. I figured if it went as obscure as ReMooD though that surely Mocha Doom would qualify, as well as a few other potential ones I don't know. (Then again my knowledge of source ports may be more comprehensive than I thought and that is ask the ones that qualify)

Gez said:

It's meant to be a list of source ports that are not abandoned and are popular enough to be mentioned.

I still think it was premature to remove ZDoom from that list. Maybe in a year when it really starts to suffer from neglect.